Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default How to? Set boot up display resolution

So, I located the Kernel source documents or something approximating
same:

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/svga.txt

>From this I gather that I probably have to reboot the system to
discover what mode to use. Is there another way of getting this info
once the system is started?

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

>From this I read:

Advantages:

* It provides a nice large console (128 cols + 48 lines with 1024x768)
without using tiny, unreadable fonts.

Now, I would really like to get back to an 80x24/26 cli console
display, preferably centered on the new monitor. Is this possible? I
would also like the font to be a bit larger, how is this done?

Is it true, as I have been told, that one can no longer purchase a
'standard' form factor flat panel monitor? That they only make
widescreens now? Really???

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241