Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Keith Roberts

Default How to? Set boot up display resolution

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, James B. Byrne wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
> Subject: [CentOS] How to? Set boot up display resolution
>
> I have been given a replacement monitor for my CentOS-6.3 KVM test
> platform. It is an LG E2251 22in letterbox format screen whereas the
> unit it replaces was a 17" standard format display. The console
> messages now look as through they were output on Silly Putty.
>
> The display itself displays a message to set the resolution to 1920 x
> 1080. I have found references to using the vga option in the
> grub.conf file. However, I can find no comprehensive list of what
> value to use. The references I have found actually say "see the
> source code in the Linux kernel tree", which does not strike me as
> particularly "user friendly" shall we say.
>
> How do I do this or am I condemned to rubber band output.

This might be what you are looking for James:

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/svga.txt

HTH

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 09/11/2012 02:21 PM, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have been given a replacement monitor for my CentOS-6.3 KVM test
> platform. It is an LG E2251 22in letterbox format screen whereas the
> unit it replaces was a 17" standard format display. The console
> messages now look as through they were output on Silly Putty.
>
> The display itself displays a message to set the resolution to 1920 x
> 1080. I have found references to using the vga option in the
> grub.conf file. However, I can find no comprehensive list of what
> value to use. The references I have found actually say "see the
> source code in the Linux kernel tree", which does not strike me as
> particularly "user friendly" shall we say.
>
> How do I do this or am I condemned to rubber band output.

Are you talking about a CLI display boot resolution or a GUI display
setting in X?

If CLI, use this table:

http://wiki.antlinux.com/pmwiki.php?n=HowTos.VgaModes