-   -   NFS mounts group name shows as nobody (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/702767-nfs-mounts-group-name-shows-nobody.html)

Ryan Palamara 09-11-2012 01:37 PM

NFS mounts group name shows as nobody

I am trying to find out why my group names are showing as nobody. I have a CentOS 6 system that is acting as a NFS server. I have some older fedora clients where the group name shows up fine, but newer CentOS 6 clients have the group name for NFS mounts show up as "nobody". The username shows up fine but the group name shows up as "nobody".

I have tried changing some setting in the idmapd.conf file, but nothing worked (domain, ldap_base) so it is back to default.

Thank you,

Ryan Palamara
ZAIS Group, LLC
2 Bridge Avenue, Suite 322
Red Bank, New Jersey 07701
Phone: (732) 450-7444
Ryan.palamara@zaisgroup.com<mailto:Ryan.palamara@z aisgroup.com>

________________________________

This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.

This is not an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy/sell the securities/instruments mentioned or an official confirmation. This is not research and is not from ZAIS Group but it may refer to a research analyst/research report. Unless indicated, these views are the author's and may differ from those of ZAIS Group research or others in the Firm. We do not represent this is accurate or complete and we may not update this. Past performance is not indicative of future returns.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:.

To comply with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained herein (including any attachments), unless specifically stated otherwise, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending any transaction or matter addressed herein to another party. Each taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayer's particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.

"ZAIS", "ZAIS Group" and "ZAIS Solutions" are trademarks of ZAIS Group, LLC.

Barbara Krasovec 09-11-2012 01:45 PM

NFS mounts group name shows as nobody

We had the same problems..
Changing the Domain in idmapd.conf on client and server helped to solve
the problem..

Server is CentOS6, clients are CentOS 5 or 6..
Are you using automount or fstab?

Barbara

Ryan Palamara 09-11-2012 02:53 PM

NFS mounts group name shows as nobody

I am using automount, but have tested mounting it manually and have the same issue. I will try changing the idmapd.conf on the server as well as the client and see if that helps.

Also as an FYI when I do ls -n, the GID shows up as 99. UID is fine.

Akemi Yagi 09-11-2012 03:40 PM

NFS mounts group name shows as nobody

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM, Ryan Palamara
<Ryan.Palamara@zaisgroup.com> wrote:
> I am trying to find out why my group names are showing as nobody. I have a CentOS 6 system that is acting as a NFS server. I have some older fedora clients where the group name shows up fine, but newer CentOS 6 clients have the group name for NFS mounts show up as "nobody". The username shows up fine but the group name shows up as "nobody".

This is a know issue (or a feature) with nfs4.

https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-49407

Or some page that is more accessible:

http://serverfault.com/questions/98741/files-mounted-over-nfsv4-are-owned-by-4294967294-uids-and-gids-match

In short, "If the NFSv4 client and server domain names do not match,
all the usernames will show up as nobody."

Akemi

Ryan Palamara 09-11-2012 04:16 PM

NFS mounts group name shows as nobody

Does this explain why uid shows fine but not gid?

Barbara Krasovec 09-12-2012 12:29 PM

NFS mounts group name shows as nobody

Hello!

The same problem appeared on our system (but both user and group were
shown as nobody), with same idmapd.conf configured on server and client
machines, users are in central ldap etc.. It worked fine with nfsv3.
Then we installed the kernel from elrepo repository (tried both 2.6.39
and 3.0) and it now works.

Barbara

Akemi Yagi 09-12-2012 03:26 PM

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:29 AM, Barbara Krasovec <barbarak@arnes.si> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> The same problem appeared on our system (but both user and group were
> shown as nobody), with same idmapd.conf configured on server and client
> machines, users are in central ldap etc.. It worked fine with nfsv3.
> Then we installed the kernel from elrepo repository (tried both 2.6.39
> and 3.0) and it now works.

Sounds as if this is not the same issue as the existing one. The known
issue should not apply if both the NFS client and server are part of
the centralized LDAP domain.

Akemi

Ryan Palamara 09-12-2012 10:10 PM

NFS mounts group name shows as nobody

So it is definitely related to NFS4. If I changed the default mount option to NFS3 there is no issue.

When I do a ls -n, I see that the GID of 99 is being used instead of the correct GID. I thought that a idmapd issues would cause both UID and GID to be wrong, or could this be causing an issue?

Any suggestions on what I can do in terms of logging to find what the GID is that is being returned from the NFS server and how it is trying to map it?

Johnny Hughes 09-12-2012 10:35 PM

On 09/12/2012 05:10 PM, Ryan Palamara wrote:
> So it is definitely related to NFS4. If I changed the default mount option to NFS3 there is no issue.
>
> When I do a ls -n, I see that the GID of 99 is being used instead of the correct GID. I thought that a idmapd issues would cause both UID and GID to be wrong, or could this be causing an issue?
>
> Any suggestions on what I can do in terms of logging to find what the GID is that is being returned from the NFS server and how it is trying to map it?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ryan Palamara
> ZAIS Group, LLC
> 2 Bridge Avenue, Suite 322
> Red Bank, New Jersey 07701
> Phone: (732) 450-7444
> Ryan.palamara@zaisgroup.com

Are you running idmapd (with the domain properly set in idmapd.conf) on
*BOTH* the server and the client machines ... and are *BOTH* the server
and the client machines set to use LDAP for authentication?

Barbara Krasovec 09-13-2012 05:43 AM

On 09/13/2012 12:35 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 09/12/2012 05:10 PM, Ryan Palamara wrote:
>> So it is definitely related to NFS4. If I changed the default mount option to NFS3 there is no issue.
>>
>> When I do a ls -n, I see that the GID of 99 is being used instead of the correct GID. I thought that a idmapd issues would cause both UID and GID to be wrong, or could this be causing an issue?
>>
>> Any suggestions on what I can do in terms of logging to find what the GID is that is being returned from the NFS server and how it is trying to map it?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Ryan Palamara
>> ZAIS Group, LLC
>> 2 Bridge Avenue, Suite 322
>> Red Bank, New Jersey 07701
>> Phone: (732) 450-7444
>> Ryan.palamara@zaisgroup.com

Well problems are the same, is just that the solution provided in the
Redhat kb (use central LDAP for authentication) doesn't work.
> Are you running idmapd (with the domain properly set in idmapd.conf) on
> *BOTH* the server and the client machines ... and are *BOTH* the server
> and the client machines set to use LDAP for authentication?
I use idmapd.conf with same Domain setting on all clients and servers,
all have LDAP authentication..
Barbara