-   -   VLC Equivalent for CentOS 6.3 (SOLVED) (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/702129-vlc-equivalent-centos-6-3-solved.html)

Mark LaPierre 09-10-2012 01:55 AM

VLC Equivalent for CentOS 6.3 (SOLVED)

On 09/09/2012 06:51 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 09/09/12 1:21 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> Is there anything available in the CentOS 6.3 software catalog that can
>> play a DVD? I am loath to install software from external repositories.
>> That only leads to headaches.
>
> probably not because any legal DVD player software has to be licensed by
> the DVD Forum to understand the decryption keys. any use of 'cracked'
> keys is illegal, and Red Hat can't condone that.
>
> you can just download the RPM from here
> http://pkgs.repoforge.org/vlc/vlc-1.1.13-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm or
> http://pkgs.repoforge.org/vlc/vlc-1.1.13-1.el6.rf.i686.rpm
>
> if you don't want to configure the repo. there's also a mozilla plugin
> that enables playing videos embedded in firefox in that same folder.

I just installed the Fluendo DVD player. Cost me $20. Its playing
Shrek right now. Swaps to full screen and back without a hitch.

http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/fluendo-dvd-player/

Be sure to configure the sound and video to suit your system.

I legal solution at a reasonable price.

--
_
/(_)

Lamar Owen 09-10-2012 01:35 PM

On Sunday, September 09, 2012 09:55:56 PM Mark LaPierre wrote:
> I just installed the Fluendo DVD player. Cost me $20. Its playing
> Shrek right now. Swaps to full screen and back without a hitch.

> http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/fluendo-dvd-player/

While there have been a few legal DVD players for Linux over the years, to the best of my knowledge the Fluendo product is the only 'legal licensed fully paid up' one that still is fully supported by the developer. Fluendo also has a legal MP3 decoder that is a no-cost download, and a full codec pack that has a small cost for fully legal gstreamer decode plugins.

The harder software packages to find for Linux in fully licensed and legal form are the encoders......

Mark LaPierre 09-10-2012 11:39 PM

On 09/10/2012 09:35 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Sunday, September 09, 2012 09:55:56 PM Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> I just installed the Fluendo DVD player. Cost me $20. Its playing
>> Shrek right now. Swaps to full screen and back without a hitch.
>
>> http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/fluendo-dvd-player/
>
> While there have been a few legal DVD players for Linux over the years, to the best of my knowledge the Fluendo product is the only 'legal licensed fully paid up' one that still is fully supported by the developer. Fluendo also has a legal MP3 decoder that is a no-cost download, and a full codec pack that has a small cost for fully legal gstreamer decode plugins.
>
> The harder software packages to find for Linux in fully licensed and legal form are the encoders......

Linux users too often flaunt the law by using patented software
illegally. By doing so we refuse to support those who invest their
funds and blood to produce compatible software. Then we complain about
companies not supporting Linux. I wonder who is at fault for that. ;-)

No, I don't support the concept of software patents, but let's not go
there right now.

I, for one, have no problem with supporting companies who support Linux.
I buy software and hardware from vendors who support Linux, and I take
the time to write to those who don't to complain. Maybe if more of us
would support companies who support Linux there would be more companies
willing to make the investment required to support Linux.

Now don't think that I'm not an open source supporter. I use it when I
can get it because open source leads to innovation and improved data
security. Where are all those people who use proprietary software that
uses proprietary file formats going to go when the company they have
been depending on decides to abandon their customers.

--
_
/(_)

John R Pierce 09-11-2012 02:37 AM

On 09/10/12 4:39 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Where are all those people who use proprietary software that
> uses proprietary file formats going to go when the company they have
> been depending on decides to abandon their customers.

when that happens, the proprietary formats should die with the company
that created them.

anyways, we're dealing with a very specific situation here, the DVD
Forum, which was created by the electronics companies that make the
players, and the media companies that sell the DVDs, has refused to
allow an open source player even after DeCSS proved out futile the media
copy protection is. If you buy a movie on DVD, you can't even make an
m4v copy to watch on your iphone

many linux users are quite adamant about only running open source code
on their systems.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Hakan Koseoglu 09-11-2012 08:55 AM

On 11 September 2012 00:39, Mark LaPierre <marklapier@aol.com> wrote:
> Linux users too often flaunt the law by using patented software
> illegally. By doing so we refuse to support those who invest their
> funds and blood to produce compatible software. Then we complain about
> companies not supporting Linux. I wonder who is at fault for that. ;-)
Unless they are not breaking any law since the software patent is not
recognized in their jurisdiction. The world does not end at the
borders of USA.

Mark LaPierre 09-11-2012 11:22 PM

On 09/11/2012 04:55 AM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 11 September 2012 00:39, Mark LaPierre<marklapier@aol.com> wrote:
>> Linux users too often flaunt the law by using patented software
>> illegally. By doing so we refuse to support those who invest their
>> funds and blood to produce compatible software. Then we complain about
>> companies not supporting Linux. I wonder who is at fault for that. ;-)
> Unless they are not breaking any law since the software patent is not
> recognized in their jurisdiction. The world does not end at the
> borders of USA.

Then they wouldn't be using patented software illegally would they?

--
_
/(_)

Craig White 09-11-2012 11:59 PM

On Sep 11, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:

> On 09/11/2012 04:55 AM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
>> On 11 September 2012 00:39, Mark LaPierre<marklapier@aol.com> wrote:
>>> Linux users too often flaunt the law by using patented software
>>> illegally. By doing so we refuse to support those who invest their
>>> funds and blood to produce compatible software. Then we complain about
>>> companies not supporting Linux. I wonder who is at fault for that. ;-)
>> Unless they are not breaking any law since the software patent is not
>> recognized in their jurisdiction. The world does not end at the
>> borders of USA.
>>

> Then they wouldn't be using patented software illegally would they?
----
discussion of this hardly appropriate for this list but your assertion is not correct. It's typically not using software illegally, but sometimes using it without recompense to the authors or in the case of DVD, the consortium that accepts money for the various entities. In other areas, this can be known as a shakedown.

Craig