-   -   VLC Equivalent for CentOS 6.3 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/702057-vlc-equivalent-centos-6-3-a.html)

Mark LaPierre 09-09-2012 08:21 PM

VLC Equivalent for CentOS 6.3

Hey All,

Is there anything available in the CentOS 6.3 software catalog that can
play a DVD? I am loath to install software from external repositories.
That only leads to headaches.

--
_
/(_)

John R Pierce 09-09-2012 10:51 PM

On 09/09/12 1:21 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Is there anything available in the CentOS 6.3 software catalog that can
> play a DVD? I am loath to install software from external repositories.
> That only leads to headaches.

probably not because any legal DVD player software has to be licensed by
the DVD Forum to understand the decryption keys. any use of 'cracked'
keys is illegal, and Red Hat can't condone that.

you can just download the RPM from here
http://pkgs.repoforge.org/vlc/vlc-1.1.13-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm or
http://pkgs.repoforge.org/vlc/vlc-1.1.13-1.el6.rf.i686.rpm

if you don't want to configure the repo. there's also a mozilla plugin
that enables playing videos embedded in firefox in that same folder.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Leon Fauster 09-10-2012 09:01 AM

Am 10.09.2012 um 00:51 schrieb John R Pierce:
> On 09/09/12 1:21 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> Is there anything available in the CentOS 6.3 software catalog that can
>> play a DVD? I am loath to install software from external repositories.
>> That only leads to headaches.
>
> probably not because any legal DVD player software has to be licensed by
> the DVD Forum to understand the decryption keys. any use of 'cracked'
> keys is illegal, and Red Hat can't condone that.
>
> you can just download the RPM from here
> http://pkgs.repoforge.org/vlc/vlc-1.1.13-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm or
> http://pkgs.repoforge.org/vlc/vlc-1.1.13-1.el6.rf.i686.rpm
>
> if you don't want to configure the repo. there's also a mozilla plugin
> that enables playing videos embedded in firefox in that same folder.

i suggest to configure the corresponding repository - the player have a lot of (rpm pkgs) dependencies ...

--
LF