Old 09-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Reinhard Kotucha

Default update on: Centos email server suddenly much slower. What to do?

On 2012-09-07 at 11:09:09 +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:

> On Thu, September 6, 2012 7:14 pm, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > I run my own email server for some domains I administer, on a
> > centos vps server with a very small number of users.
> >
> > The only services are smtp, imap/pop, webmail
> >
> > Everything was running without problems until this morning. I
> > left home for 1/2 hours, and when I came back everything had
> > become about 100x slower (seriously!).
>
> this morning everything is back to normal (for now at least,
> strongly crossing my fingers!), as misteriously as it had frozen
> yesterday. I am able to write from my main email address just
> because of that.
>
> If anything, I am even more puzzled than I was yesterday.
>
> I do have the feeling, after the exchange we had yesterday, that
> the DNS servers my VPS provider told me to use had some problem now
> fixed, but nothing more. Of course, the idea that I don't know for
> sure what happened and it may happen again doesn't make me happy,
> but I honestly wouldn't know what/where to investigate at this
> point. Further comments are welcome.

If it's a DNS server problem, it's helpful to have some IP numbers of
other DNS servers. It makes sense to look for alternate DNS servers
now, it makes much less fun to look for them when the one you use
doesn't work properly.

Someone mentioned Google's public DNS server. Is it advisable to use
a DNS server provided by a company which doesn't do anything but
collecting data about its users? I'm sceptical.

Regards,
Reinhard