-   -   Checking for ram to early... (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/70149-checking-ram-early.html)

Joel Andres Granados 04-15-2008 02:43 PM

Checking for ram to early...

Hey people :)

Anaconda exits if the system has less than 64 Mb of ram. This is logical because if the system has less, its just not possible to install. But I think we are not giving the power user the opportunity to circumvent this situation. see (368311). What I suggest is to make the check after the running of the post script. If the user was intelligent enough to add some temporary swap, anaconda should install successfully.

patch attached, comments appreciated.

--
Joel Andres Granados
Red Hat / Brno, Czech Republic

John Summerfield 04-16-2008 02:05 PM

Checking for ram to early...

Joel Andres Granados wrote:

Hey people :)

Anaconda exits if the system has less than 64 Mb of ram. This is
logical because if the system has less, its just not possible to
install. But I think we are not giving the power user the opportunity
to circumvent this situation. see (368311). What I suggest is to make
the check after the running of the post script. If the user was

I think by then the user has already found out.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Jeremy Katz 05-12-2008 08:59 PM

Checking for ram to early...

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 16:43 +0200, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
> Anaconda exits if the system has less than 64 Mb of ram. This is logical because
> if the system has less, its just not possible to install. But I think we are not
> giving the power user the opportunity to circumvent this situation. see (368311).
> What I suggest is to make the check after the running of the post script. If the
> user was intelligent enough to add some temporary swap, anaconda should install
> successfully.

Is this actually sufficient to help or do they still end up OOM'ing or
going into a swap live lock?

Jeremy

John Summerfield 05-13-2008 02:22 AM

Checking for ram to early...

Jeremy Katz wrote:

Anaconda exits if the system has less than 64 Mb of ram. This is logical because
if the system has less, its just not possible to install. But I think we are not
giving the power user the opportunity to circumvent this situation. see (368311).
What I suggest is to make the check after the running of the post script. If the
user was intelligent enough to add some temporary swap, anaconda should install
successfully.

Is this actually sufficient to help or do they still end up OOM'ing or
going into a swap live lock?

How can checking _after_ the install help?

A check after _%pre_ might help, but I really doubt it. Anaconda
updating from FC3 to FC5 ran twelve hours or so on my laptop with 256
Mbytes (It was long ago, and I don't remember whether it was graphical
or text).

You really don't want to be doing much swapping, especially on a
partition at the rim of the drive you're installing on.