Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Arek Czereszewski

Default C6 VM text install not recognizing LV

On 6 September 2012 20:58, Leonard den Ottolander
<leonard@den.ottolander.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install a C6 VM on C6 using the text installer using:
>
> # virt-install -n C6_1 -r 3072 --os-variant=rhel6 -l
> ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/site/centos.org/CentOS/6.3/os/x86_64/ --disk
> path=/dev/VG1/vm_c6_1 -w network:default --nographics
> -x "console=ttyS0" --autostart
>
> /dev/VG1/vm_c6_1 has been successfully created. The installation starts
> but once I get to the disk partitioning no disk is listed and I cannot
> continue the installation.

[...]

Hi,

I have 7 vm's installed on LVM volumes (5xCentos 6.3, 1xubuntu and
1xfreebsd) All works fine.
Server Centos 6.3 with KVM.
All machines installed from iso images.

qemu-kvm.x86_64 2:0.12.1.2-2.295.el6_3.1 @updates

Machines installed using command:

virt-install -n test -r 2048 --vcpus=2 --os-variant=rhel6 --accelerate
-v -c /home/iso/c63mini.iso --mac=RANDOM --bridge=br0 --vnc
--vnclisten=w.x.y.z --disk path=/dev/maszyny/test

Regards
Arek

--
UNIX allows me to work smarter, not harder.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hi Arek,

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 21:30 +0200, Arek Czereszewski wrote:
> virt-install -n test -r 2048 --vcpus=2 --os-variant=rhel6 --accelerate
> -v -c /home/iso/c63mini.iso --mac=RANDOM --bridge=br0 --vnc
> --vnclisten=w.x.y.z --disk path=/dev/maszyny/test

I'm not using vnc but a serial tty (--nographics -x "console=ttyS0"). An
all black and white install . Probably an issue with an unusual code
path. The question is whether that unusual code path is in anaconda or
an outdated virt-install.

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Thu, September 6, 2012 14:58, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install a C6 VM on C6 using the text installer using:
>
> # virt-install -n C6_1 -r 3072 --os-variant=rhel6 -l
> ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/site/centos.org/CentOS/6.3/os/x86_64/ --disk
> path=/dev/VG1/vm_c6_1 -w network:default --nographics
> -x "console=ttyS0" --autostart
>
> /dev/VG1/vm_c6_1 has been successfully created. The installation
> starts
> but once I get to the disk partitioning no disk is listed and I cannot
> continue the installation.
>
> Even worse, if I press space on the empty list CPU usage goes up to
> 100% for the qemu-kvm process.

WAG? Is there a partition on the lv that the installer can find? I
run into this all the time when using an lv storage pool and an lv
based virtio drive. I first have to fdisk the newly allocated drive
and do a partprobe before the vm guest will recognize that it has the
space.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello James,

On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 14:30 -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> WAG? Is there a partition on the lv that the installer can find? I
> run into this all the time when using an lv storage pool and an lv
> based virtio drive. I first have to fdisk the newly allocated drive
> and do a partprobe before the vm guest will recognize that it has the
> space.

The volume actually did contain a partition table, but I added it after
accidentally formatting it as ext4. This confused the installer.

Zeroing out the first 5k bytes and recreating the partition table with
fdisk fixes the issue.

I can reproduce this. When adding a partition table with fdisk after
having formatted the volume (as ext4) the installer does not pick up the
volume. Zeroing out of a few sectors (5k works, less might work too) and
recreating the partition table and the installer sees the volume.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards,
Leonard.