Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Johan Vermeulen

Default CentOs6- Use nscd for offline LDAP

Dear All,

I'm thinking about connecting the 15 or so laptops in our organisation
to LDAP.

Now I'm trying to use nscd in order to enable the users to work when
being offline.

The test laptop is installed for this occasion, updated CentOs6.3.

Following the advise I found on a few posts I modified */etc/nscd.conf :

*

server-user nscd

logfile /var/log/nscd.log

debug-level 3

reload-count unlimited

paranoia no

enable-cache passwd yes

positive-time-to-live passwd 3600

negative-time-to-live passwd 20

suggested-size passwd 211

check-files passwd yes

persistent passwd yes

shared passwd yes

enable-cache group yes

positive-time-to-live group 3600

negative-time-to-live group 60

suggested-size group 211

check-files group yes

persistent group yes

shared group yes

enable-cache hosts yes

I also Modified*/etc/nsswitch.conf*and changed the order after passwd - shadow - group :

passwd: ldap files
shadow: file ldap
group: ldap files

*This seems to work.*

* When stopping nscd, LibreOffice gives the EM:

/The application cannot be started.
A general error occurred while accessing your central configuration.

/*When starting nscd LibreOffice just works.

*When enabling nscd a can su to an LDAP user from root, without nscd the user does not exist.

*But the problem I'm having* is

I was kinda hoping to log back in from a locked screen or from hibernation, in other words continue a running session.
Or who knows, even start a new session.

Can anyone help me make this work?
Thanks for any advise

Greetings, James

--
IT-medewerker
Caw De Kempen

Opensource Software is the future.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Laurent

Le 2012-09-05 09:40, Johan Vermeulen a écrit*:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm thinking about connecting the 15 or so laptops in our
> organisation
> to LDAP.
>
> Now I'm trying to use nscd in order to enable the users to work when
> being offline.

Hi Johan,

Did you look at sssd ? My understanding is that it's designed for
offline use, as nscd is just caching.

-- Laurent.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Johan Vermeulen

Laurent,

thanks for you answer.

No, I haven't until now, but guess what:

base | 3.7 kB 00:00
centosplus | 3.5 kB 00:00
cr | 3.0 kB 00:00
extras | 3.0 kB 00:00
updates | 3.5 kB 00:00
============================== N/S Matched: sssd
===============================
sssd-client.i686 : SSSD Client libraries for NSS and PAM
sssd-tools.i686 : Userspace tools for use with the SSSD
libsss_autofs.i686 : A library to allow communication between Autofs and
SSSD
sssd.i686 : System Security Services Daemon

it's available in CentOs.

So I'm now looking for some CentOs - specific doc's.

greetings, J.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Johan Vermeulen

I see that ssl or tls is needed for communication with the LDAP server.
So I need to configure that first.

sssd does seem like the better option than nscd.

greetings, J.