Old 08-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Spamassassin under CentOS-6.3

Spamassassin seems to have become more-or-less non-functional
in use with KMail on my server.
It appears to be running OK, but only catches about 20% of my spam.

I wonder if others have experienced this decline?

I suspect that sa-learn is not performing properly.
(I run sa-learn nightly on my spam,
which is saved in ~/Maildir/.Spam/cur/ ,
through the default spamassassin installation.)

Eg I receive more or less identical spam many times
without it being caught.

Also, about 35% of the spam that gets through
is in foreign languates - Russian, Chinese, Arabic and Turkish -
and it would help if I could get rid of this.
I read up about catching such email in spamassassin,
but did not understand exactly what changes are required.

One difficultly I have is that there seem many places
where one can make changes in spamassassin settings.
Am I right in thinking that all such changes can be made
in .spamassassin/user_prefs ?

What should I put in this file to change the score for eg
3.5 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 08-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

On 08/31/2012 04:56 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> It appears to be running OK, but only catches about 20% of my spam.

If you have old rules and as far as spam evolves, that situation is "fair"

> I wonder if others have experienced this decline?

No.

> I suspect that sa-learn is not performing properly.
> (I run sa-learn nightly on my spam,
> which is saved in ~/Maildir/.Spam/cur/ ,
> through the default spamassassin installation.)

- how old is the Spam to feed sa-learn with?
- what weight do you give to bayesean detection?

> Eg I receive more or less identical spam many times
> without it being caught.
>

> Also, about 35% of the spam that gets through
> is in foreign languates - Russian, Chinese, Arabic and Turkish -

Those are local langages for some...

> One difficultly I have is that there seem many places
> where one can make changes in spamassassin settings.
> Am I right in thinking that all such changes can be made
> in .spamassassin/user_prefs ?

Seems OK

> What should I put in this file to change the score for eg
> 3.5 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%

Advices:
- SA can be asked to report the scores in one header: make it reports
and analyze the scoring
- SA has a mailingg list you could also trigger in order to help

--
RMA.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Reinhard Kotucha

On 2012-08-31 at 17:57:01 +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:

> On 08/31/2012 04:56 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> > Also, about 35% of the spam that gets through is in foreign
> > languates - Russian, Chinese, Arabic and Turkish -
>
> Those are local langages for some...

Unfortunately you don't say what "..." stands for. If it stands for
users, you are right.

But Timothy's statement is about a program. And it's a matter of fact
that the languages mentioned above had been neglected by programmers
in the past. It was a stony way to get to UTF-8, for example, because
too many programmers believed that ISO-8859 is sufficient for everyone.

And Timothy only said what he observed with no discrimination in mind.

Regards,
Reinhard