-   -   CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/698584-cups-driver-hp-lj-m602.html)

Rajagopal Swaminathan 08-28-2012 07:02 PM

CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?

Greetings,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> We just got two of these HP LJ M602 "enterprise" printers in, and I'm
> trying to work out what driver/ppd. The model's not listed in the current
> - does anyone know what might work for it? I really don't want to have to
> install hplips on 140 or 150 systems....
>
> mark

Normally I've had decent experience wit LJ4/5/6 PCL5 drivers for HP
printers. But lj1020 gave me a tough time way back in 2007 or so when
centos 5 was new.

Not sure if it is of same vintage as lj1020 like stuff.

Rajagopal

08-28-2012 07:13 PM

CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> We just got two of these HP LJ M602 "enterprise" printers in, and I'm
>> trying to work out what driver/ppd. The model's not listed in the
>> current - does anyone know what might work for it? I really don't
>> want to have to install hplips on 140 or 150 systems....
>
> Normally I've had decent experience wit LJ4/5/6 PCL5 drivers for HP
> printers. But lj1020 gave me a tough time way back in 2007 or so when
> centos 5 was new.
>
> Not sure if it is of same vintage as lj1020 like stuff.

Thanks. Just to try to get it running, I've modified CUPS for the Laserjet
Series 6 PCL. I also tried lp -d <printer> file.ps, and it printed, though
the filename at the top/bottom was cut in half.

mark

Rajagopal Swaminathan 08-28-2012 07:30 PM

CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?

Greetings,

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:43 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Series 6 PCL. I also tried lp -d <printer> file.ps, and it printed, though
> the filename at the top/bottom was cut in half.

I remember that pain. fiddled with ppd. turned out that LJ printers
generally leave about .1" or so margin. Mechanical design I guess

I used to set my document margins to at least .3"

HTH

Rajagopal

Rajagopal Swaminathan 08-28-2012 07:31 PM

CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?

Greetings,

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:43 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Thanks. Just to try to get it running, I've modified CUPS for the Laserjet
> Series 6 PCL. I also tried lp -d <printer> file.ps, and it printed, though

Try cups test page using localhost:631. I used to use it as an inch
and mm scale sometimes :)

Rajagopal

Keith Roberts 08-28-2012 07:53 PM

CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> From: m.roth@5-cent.us
> Subject: [CentOS] CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?
>
> We just got two of these HP LJ M602 "enterprise" printers in, and I'm
> trying to work out what driver/ppd. The model's not listed in the current
> - does anyone know what might work for it? I really don't want to have to
> install hplips on 140 or 150 systems....

Hi Mark.

According to this page:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_600_m602.html

Network printing is supported.

I thought you only needed to install the printer drivers on
the machine the printer is physically connected to, and all
the other machines (including Windows boxes) would be able
to print over the LAN to these CUPS printer?

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

08-28-2012 07:55 PM

CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:43 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Thanks. Just to try to get it running, I've modified CUPS for the
>> Laserjet
>> Series 6 PCL. I also tried lp -d <printer> file.ps, and it printed,
>> though
>
> Try cups test page using localhost:631. I used to use it as an inch
> and mm scale sometimes :)

Oh, right, good thought... well, the thing is, folks print via what, IPP?
from their workstations or servers, not through a central control, I
think. I might be able to use the web interface to set it on the printer
itself.

mark

08-28-2012 07:57 PM

CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?

Hi, Keith,

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> From: m.roth@5-cent.us
>>
>> We just got two of these HP LJ M602 "enterprise" printers in, and I'm
>> trying to work out what driver/ppd. The model's not listed in the
>> current - does anyone know what might work for it? I really don't
>> want to have to install hplips on 140 or 150 systems....
>
> Hi Mark.
>
> According to this page:
>
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_600_m602.html
>
> Network printing is supported.
>
> I thought you only needed to install the printer drivers on
> the machine the printer is physically connected to, and all
> the other machines (including Windows boxes) would be able
> to print over the LAN to these CUPS printer?

What do you mean, the machine it's physically connected to? This is a
networked printer, with its own IP, plugged into the network, nothing
between it and the switch.

mark

Keith Roberts 08-28-2012 08:00 PM

CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> From: m.roth@5-cent.us
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?
>
> Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:43 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> Thanks. Just to try to get it running, I've modified CUPS for the
>>> Laserjet
>>> Series 6 PCL. I also tried lp -d <printer> file.ps, and it printed,
>>> though
>>
>> Try cups test page using localhost:631. I used to use it as an inch
>> and mm scale sometimes :)
>
> Oh, right, good thought... well, the thing is, folks print via what, IPP?
> from their workstations or servers, not through a central control, I
> think. I might be able to use the web interface to set it on the printer
> itself.

Here is the CUPS homepage. Loads of usefull information on
that site ;)

http://www.cups.org/

and

http://www.cups.org/ppd.php

HTH

Keith Roberts 08-28-2012 08:02 PM

CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> From: m.roth@5-cent.us
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?
>
> Hi, Keith,
>
> Keith Roberts wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>> From: m.roth@5-cent.us
>>>
>>> We just got two of these HP LJ M602 "enterprise" printers in, and I'm
>>> trying to work out what driver/ppd. The model's not listed in the
>>> current - does anyone know what might work for it? I really don't
>>> want to have to install hplips on 140 or 150 systems....
>>
>> Hi Mark.
>>
>> According to this page:
>>
>> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_600_m602.html
>>
>> Network printing is supported.
>>
>> I thought you only needed to install the printer drivers on
>> the machine the printer is physically connected to, and all
>> the other machines (including Windows boxes) would be able
>> to print over the LAN to these CUPS printer?
>
> What do you mean, the machine it's physically connected to? This is a
> networked printer, with its own IP, plugged into the network, nothing
> between it and the switch.

OK thanks for pointing that out mark.

So does it have it's own linux CUPS server built into it?

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

08-28-2012 08:10 PM

CUPS driver for an HP LJ M602?

Keith Roberts wrote:
<snip>
> Here is the CUPS homepage. Loads of usefull information on
> that site ;)
>
> http://www.cups.org/
>
> and
>
> http://www.cups.org/ppd.php

Thanks, but they don't seem to have a laserjet newer than 2008.

mark