Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Tim Dunphy

Default updatedb taking too long

Hi list

For some reason mlocate is taking a long time when I run the updatedb
command. Have a look!

[root@beta:~] #time updatedb
real 19m48.729s
user 0m0.400s
sys 0m2.728s

It's not a big volume by any means

[root@beta:~] #df -h
/dev/xvda1 75G 9.1G 63G 13% /

So I'm wondering what could be causing this command to take so long.

I'm running centos 5.8 in a xen vm.

I was hoping I could get some advice that would help me troubleshoot this
problem.

Thanks!
Tim

--
GPG me!!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Mogens Kjaer

On 08/28/2012 05:47 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> For some reason mlocate is taking a long time when I run the updatedb
> command. Have a look!
>
> [root@beta:~] #time updatedb
> real 19m48.729s
> user 0m0.400s
> sys 0m2.728s

Does

# time /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron

take the same amount of time? It calls updatedb with
a list of file systems to be skipped.

When updatedb is running, get the PID of the process, and
try to follow the files the process has opened by:

# ls -l /proc/PID/fd

Do this now and then when updatedb runs this might
give you an idea where in the file system it spends
most of the time.

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk