Old 08-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Rafał Radecki

Default NTOP alternatives?

Hi all.

I have currently a task to implement a network traffic analyzer. Some years
ago I've used NTOP for that purpose, I would also like to test some
alternatives.
Which alternatives can you recommend and why?

Thanks

Best regards,
Rafał Radecki.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Giles Coochey

I have currently a task to implement a network traffic analyzer. Some years
ago I've used NTOP for that purpose, I would also like to test some
alternatives.
Which alternatives can you recommend and why?

Thanks

If you looking at just a netflow web-frontend & netflow processing I
quite like nfsen / nfdump

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd
+44 (0) 7983 877438
http://www.coochey.net
http://www.netsecspec.co.uk
giles@coochey.net

Old 08-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Les Mikesell

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Giles Coochey <giles@coochey.net> wrote:
> On 28/08/2012 07:35, Rafał Radecki wrote:
>>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I have currently a task to implement a network traffic analyzer. Some
>> years
>> ago I've used NTOP for that purpose, I would also like to test some
>> alternatives.
>> Which alternatives can you recommend and why?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> If you looking at just a netflow web-frontend & netflow processing I quite
> like nfsen / nfdump

Or for one-off capture/analysis runs, wireshark is pretty good. I
doubt if anything will match ntop for continuous captures with the
ability to summarize in a large variety of ways.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Lamar Owen

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 02:35:25 AM Rafał Radecki wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have currently a task to implement a network traffic analyzer. Some years
> ago I've used NTOP for that purpose, I would also like to test some
> alternatives.
> Which alternatives can you recommend and why?

As a package, either the Fedora-based NetworkSecurityToolkit (NST) or the loosly-based-on-ubuntu BackTrack are nice. NST has some very cool features, and a web UI that allows some nice options.

NST runs best on a dedicated piece of hardware; slap a couple of GigE NIC's in a good box with dual procs, put one GigE on a SPAN port or a hardware tap, install NST on it and configure to your liking. If you want prepackaged updates that you don't have to built yourself, subscribe to the NSTPro service.

www.networksecuritytoolkit.org

I'm using it here, and coupled with the power and configurability of Cisco's SPAN it works really well for troubleshooting. I'm using it enough that I set up my own builder on Fedora 16, and have been building my own updates out of NST's SVN, which has been interesting....

Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Rafał Radecki

After some search I think I will use ntop
Thanks for all help.

Best regards,
Rafał.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Bent Terp

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com>wrote:

> After some search I think I will use ntop

Having lurked in this thread, I think I'll start using ntop as well. Did a
quick test today on my laptop and got it up and running in no time.

But to answer the question people at the office keeps asking me, I need to
dump Network Load data with a 1-second granularity. Does anoybody know how
to do that? Basic question is, do we have large fluctuations on our
internet connection usage.

Thanks in advance!

with kind regards,
Bent Terp

Old 08-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Giles Coochey

After some search I think I will use ntop

Having lurked in this thread, I think I'll start using ntop as well. Did a
quick test today on my laptop and got it up and running in no time.

But to answer the question people at the office keeps asking me, I need to
dump Network Load data with a 1-second granularity. Does anoybody know how
to do that? Basic question is, do we have large fluctuations on our
internet connection usage.

Thanks in advance!

I know it's a Windows utility (WINE??), but we used STG traffic grapher
in a previous ISP environment. Graphing at a 1s interval is possible,
looks very much like MRTG.

http://leonidvm.chat.ru/

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd
+44 (0) 7983 877438
http://www.coochey.net
http://www.netsecspec.co.uk
giles@coochey.net

Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Morgan Cox

Have you tried Darkstat - it's a nice very very lightweight alternative

http://unix4lyfe.org/darkstat/

ntop has more info though.

regards

Keep rocking the free (opensource) world

Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Antonio da Silva Martins Junior

> Enviadas: Quarta-feira, 29 de Agosto de 2012 5:29:07 (GMT-0300) Auto-Detected
> Assunto: Re: [CentOS] NTOP alternatives?
>
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Rafał Radecki
> <radecki.rafal@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > After some search I think I will use ntop
> >

> Having lurked in this thread, I think I'll start using ntop as well.
> Did a quick test today on my laptop and got it up and running in no time.
>
> But to answer the question people at the office keeps asking me, I
> need to dump Network Load data with a 1-second granularity. Does anoybody know
> how to do that? Basic question is, do we have large fluctuations on our
> internet connection usage.

Hi Bent,

Give a try to Collectd: www.collectd.org is a RRDTOOL data collect system.

I use it on various systems without impacts on performance.

Antonio.

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Antonio S. Martins Jr. - Support Analyst | "Only The Shadow Knows |

Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Leon Fauster

Am 29.08.2012 um 12:24 schrieb Antonio da Silva Martins Junior:
> [...]

+1

i use collectd to keep tracked system offloaded and send all data via network (encrypted) to a central system.

> I use it on various systems without impacts on performance.

The central system has a continuous data stream onto the storage (my case saving >64 incoming samples/minute).
Not a penalty but i would run only the logging service on this central system.

--
LF