Old 08-30-2012, 02:28 AM
Net Foss

Default NTOP alternatives?

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com> wrote:
> After some search I think I will use ntop

Does anyone know a repo which contains ntop for centos 6.x?
I have been using ntop for 5.x from rpmforge, but coundn't find RPMS
for 6.x there.

--
net foss

Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 AM
Indunil Jayasooriya

Have you tried Darkstat - it's a nice very very lightweight alternative

> http://unix4lyfe.org/darkstat/

I installed it on Centos 6.2 (64 bit VM). It is pretty light.

I would like to know on which host should I install it on LAN?

gateway Machine, proxy Server or any host on that LAN?

I just installed on a host On a LAN. But, It does NOT show All the host on
the LAN.

It does NOT show my mail gateway. It is on the same LAN.

Then, How can get actual traffic on my LAN ?

Anyway, If clicked host link, It shows in , out , total traffic? It is
bytes?

I think it is in byte?

ntop has more info though.

I have used this since long time. many options. very difficult to
understand.

what about bandwidthd ? I have tried twice. On which host, Should I
install it to see network traffic my lan?

really like to hear from you.

Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya

Old 08-30-2012, 04:10 AM
Bent Terp

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Indunil Jayasooriya <indunil75@gmail.com>wrote:

> Have you tried Darkstat - it's a nice very very lightweight alternative
> >
> > http://unix4lyfe.org/darkstat/
> >

> I installed it on Centos 6.2 (64 bit VM). It is pretty light.
>
> I would like to know on which host should I install it on LAN?

If you want it to be able to see all traffic on the local network, then you
have to make sure all the traffic actually shows up on that interface -
which is not usually the case on a switched network :-)

My plan for today is to install darkstar on a separate physical host with
dual nic's, and tell the switch to copy all traffic on the VLAN's that I
wish to monitor to one port which will then be connected to one of the
NIC's on the darkstar host. This feature is called "port mirroring" on
ProCurve switches but most professional switches have similar features,
although they might be called differently.

> gateway Machine, proxy Server or any host on that LAN?

Alternatively, if you have a gateway machine that all traffic passes
through, this would also be a good candidate unless traffic is so high that
the additional load from darkstat impacts performance - or any bug in
darkstat that just might interrupt regular operations.

BR Bent

Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Bent Terp

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Morgan Cox <morgancoxuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you tried Darkstat - it's a nice very very lightweight alternative
>
> http://unix4lyfe.org/darkstat/

Hi. Darkstat worked like a charm on my laptop yesterday, for traffic
to/from the laptop. So this morning I've been trying to make it work in the
serverroom.

I've set up a monitoring port on the switch and mirrored a vlan to it. To
this monitoring switch port, I've connected the second nic on a spare
server.

But I can't make it see the traffic:
*Running for* 38 secs*, since* 2012-08-30 08:27:12 UTC+0000*.*
*Total* 0 *bytes, in* 0 *packets.* (2,512,454 *captured,* 2,494,741 *
dropped)

*And so the graphs are blank :-(

I've tried several incantations to no avail:
usr/local/sbin/darkstat -i eth1 -p 5001 --no-daemon --no-dns -l "
0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0" --local-only
/usr/local/sbin/darkstat -i eth1 -p 5001 --no-daemon --no-dns -l "
0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0"
/usr/local/sbin/darkstat -i eth1 -p 5001 --no-daemon --no-dns

I've even tried assigning a bogus ip address on the monitored subnet to
eth1, but that doesn't help either.

Any suggestions?

with kind regards,
Bent

Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Nux!

On 30.08.2012 03:28, Net Foss wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Rafał Radecki
> <radecki.rafal@gmail.com> wrote:
>> After some search I think I will use ntop
>
> Does anyone know a repo which contains ntop for centos 6.x?
> I have been using ntop for 5.x from rpmforge, but coundn't find RPMS
> for 6.x there.
>
> --
> net foss

http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/misc/el6/x86_64/ntop-4.1.0-3.el6.nux.x86_64.rpm
backported from Fedora, untested.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 08-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Indunil Jayasooriya

> > I would like to know on which host should I install it on LAN?
> >

> My plan for today is to install darkstar on a separate physical host with
> dual nic's, and tell the switch to copy all traffic on the VLAN's that I
> wish to monitor to one port which will then be connected to one of the
> NIC's on the darkstar host. This feature is called "port mirroring" on
> ProCurve switches but most professional switches have similar features,
> although they might be called differently.

I think This is an URL for it. Where it shows with a picture.

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1261

The same thing for bandwidthd software.

*
Pls assume*, My Network Monitoring Server has *2 Ethernets and also I have
port mirroring capable switch.

*
if one Ethernet of Netwrok monitoring Sever connects to usual port in the
switch, Other LAN PCs also connects to the usual ports of the same switch .
Then, remaining Ethernet of the Monitoring Server should connect to a
mirrored port.

*Then, to which port , Should I connect my router ???

*
to a usual port or mirrored port of that same switch?

if Router should be connected to a mirrored port , We need 2 mirrored port
of the same switch..

Pls let me know since I would like to learn..

> > gateway Machine, proxy Server or any host on that LAN?
> >

> Alternatively, if you have a gateway machine that all traffic passes
> through, this would also be a good candidate unless traffic is so high that
> the additional load from darkstat impacts performance - or any bug in
> darkstat that just might interrupt regular operations.

IF my Gateway is running squid But NOT in transparent mode, just a usual
way with configurations of users' browsers,

Can I install darkstar or bandwidthd on that gateway box?

I really like to hear from you?

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya