Old 08-26-2012, 01:06 AM
Reinhard Kotucha

Default netinstall

Hi,
I just tried to install CentOS 6.3 netinstall and got the error
message

-- Disc Not Found --
The CentOS disc was not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please
insert the CentOS disc and press OK to retry.

How can I insert a disc which is already inserted? What am I missing?

Regards,
Reinhard

Old 08-26-2012, 01:12 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>How can I insert a disc which is already inserted? What am I missing?

Well, pretty simple... You don't have the correct disc "already" inserted.

Its a netinstall, hence the "net" so it needs the net. Its also only a couple
hundred megs, so that should indicate it doesn't have the full tree available.

Grab the dvd if you want to install from the "same" disc, or choose another
method.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Yanis Guenane

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Joseph L. Casale <jcasale@activenetwerx.com
> wrote:

> >How can I insert a disc which is already inserted? What am I missing?
>
> Well, pretty simple... You don't have the correct disc "already" inserted.
>
> Its a netinstall, hence the "net" so it needs the net. Its also only a
> couple
> hundred megs, so that should indicate it doesn't have the full tree
> available.
>
> Grab the dvd if you want to install from the "same" disc, or choose another
> method.

As Joseph mention, if you downloaded the netinstall you should definitely
use the net and not any CD/DVD installer.
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2011/centos-6-netinstall-network-installation/

This is a tutorial that will guide you through and points to the correct
URL for package repositories and to the correct install.img file.

--
*Yanis Guenane*

Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Reinhard Kotucha

On 2012-08-26 at 09:18:21 +0200, Yanis Guenane wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Joseph L. Casale <jcasale@activenetwerx.com
> > wrote:
>
> > >How can I insert a disc which is already inserted? What am I
> > >missing?
> >
> > Well, pretty simple... You don't have the correct disc "already"
> > inserted.
> >
> > Its a netinstall, hence the "net" so it needs the net. Its also
> > only a couple hundred megs, so that should indicate it doesn't
> > have the full tree available.
> >
> > Grab the dvd if you want to install from the "same" disc, or
> > choose another method.
> >

> As Joseph mention, if you downloaded the netinstall you should
> definitely use the net and not any CD/DVD installer.

Sorry Joseph and Yanis, I wasn't clear enough last night. Maybe it
was too late.

I'm not talking about the packages but about the file install.img.
This file *IS* already on the netinstall CD and it's exactly the same
as the one I had to download.

I downloaded it again now in order to compare:

$ md5sum /media/dvd/images/install.img ~/downloads/install.img
ef3b0e14ff354c41524600c00ef44000 /media/dvd/images/install.img
ef3b0e14ff354c41524600c00ef44000 /home/reinhard/downloads/install.img

In order to save time and traffic, it would be nice if I could use
it. There is even a menu item but it doesn't work for me.

According to the error message, the installer assumed that the file
install.img is on another disc. But this is not the case. It's on
the netinstall CD already.

> http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2011/centos-6-netinstall-network-installation/
>
> This is a tutorial that will guide you through and points to the
> correct URL for package repositories and to the correct install.img
> file.

Sure, but the install.img file at the package repository isn't more
correct than the one on the netinstall CD. They are identical.
The guy who wrote the tutorial obviously encountered the same problem
but wasn't aware of the file on the CD and suggested this workaround.

BTW, I got the system running. But I fear that I'll have to install
it several times again because I'd like to experiment with virtual
machines and LVM. It's very likely that I break something since I
have no experience with them. Therefore it would save me some time if
I don't have to download a file which exists on the CD already.

Of course, it takes much more time to download and install the
packages, but in this case, once installation is started, I can do
something else meanwhile.

Another thing: Even if I can use install.img from the CD, at least
when I have to install packages, I have to specify an URL to a
repository. Documentation proposes mirror.centos.org . Is there a
reason why the installer doesn't offer the mirror URL as a default?

I ask because I have only one machine and whenever the installer asks
me for an URL, I have to abort and boot a system which provides a web
browser in order to read the documentation, write the URL down on
paper, and start the installer again. Well, I sometimes have the
impression that I'm the only one in the world who doesn't have a
mobile phone with a built-in web browser.

Of course, specifying a particular server as a default isn't
reasonable, it would cause too much traffic there. But given that
mirror.centos.org performs load balancing, wouldn't it be possible to
provide a default URL in the installer menu? It would make
installation *much* more convenient.

Any idea why it hasn't been done?

Regards,
Reinhard

Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Michael Hennebry

I'm a newcomer to CentOS.
Fedora 14 was the last Fedora version I managed to make work.
Fedora 16 I couldn't install at all.
Fedora 17 installed, but I couldn't make it work right.
I'd been trying to do media-less installs because
Fedora wouldn't read my DVDs anymore.

What directions I could find for installing CentOS
without media were not all that clear to me,
so I did some guesswork informed by some of the Fedora documents.

I used the following grub stanza:
title Install Centos 6.2 from net install iso
find /centos/vmlinuz
root (hd1,9)
pause paused
kernel /centos/vmlinuz method=http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/centos/6/2/os/i386
initrd /centos/initrd.img

The find and pause were not really necessary.
I think vmlinuz and initrd.img were copied from a net_install.iso file.
Much to my surprise, it worked the first time.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
whom I teach not to run with scissors,

Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Yanis Guenane

> http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2011/centos-6-netinstall-network-installation/
> >
> > This is a tutorial that will guide you through and points to the
> > correct URL for package repositories and to the correct install.img
> > file.
>
> Sure, but the install.img file at the package repository isn't more
> correct than the one on the netinstall CD. They are identical.
> The guy who wrote the tutorial obviously encountered the same problem
> but wasn't aware of the file on the CD and suggested this workaround.

I actually used this process several time and never encountered any issue
of this type.

BTW, I got the system running. But I fear that I'll have to install
> it several times again because I'd like to experiment with virtual
> machines and LVM. It's very likely that I break something since I
> have no experience with them. Therefore it would save me some time if
> I don't have to download a file which exists on the CD already.

For your time consuming concerned about breaking your VM, you can create
one and then just clone it. This way you will always keep a fully working
copy of your CentOS VM.

Another thing: Even if I can use install.img from the CD, at least
> when I have to install packages, I have to specify an URL to a
> repository. Documentation proposes mirror.centos.org . Is there a
> reason why the installer doesn't offer the mirror URL as a default?
>
> I ask because I have only one machine and whenever the installer asks
> me for an URL, I have to abort and boot a system which provides a web
> browser in order to read the documentation, write the URL down on
> paper, and start the installer again. Well, I sometimes have the
> impression that I'm the only one in the world who doesn't have a
> mobile phone with a built-in web browser.

For the default settings about mirror.centos.org it is beyond my scope

Maybe not by default but an option stating "Do you want to get the sources
from an official CentOS mirror".
But anyway, mirror.centos.org isn't the hardest URL to remember.

--
*Yanis Guenane*