Old 04-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Default Installing Centos 5 on HP DL140 G3

I want to install CentOS 5.1 with hardware RAID on an HP DL140 G3 server
that I have here for testing. It prompts me for a storage controller.
According to this readme page for the latest driver at
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-linux/p1463703615/v44436/mpt
linux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd.gz.txt
CentOS 5 should already contain a "default driver version contained in the
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 installation CD"
I would rather like to use that than go the complicated route of providing
the latest HP driver. That "HP Internal Port SAS/SATA HBA with RAID"
actually is a RAID controller from LSILogic and I tried to load all four
LSILogic drivers provided on the driver list, but none is accepted.
Does somebody have experience with this server/RAID controller and can
tell me if I can go somehow with the drivers provided by CentOS 5.1 or do
I need to go with the drivers provided by HP?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 04-15-2008, 03:26 AM
John

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 23:33 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> I want to install CentOS 5.1 with hardware RAID on an HP DL140 G3 server
> that I have here for testing. It prompts me for a storage controller.

Check your BIOS Settings for the controller. May be that it needs to set
to "Mass Storage" if available in the HP Bios. I am not a die hard HP
person so check the settings available. I know for a fact this is a
problem with other manufactures.

Maybe there is a HP Guy or Gal in here some where that can elaborate
some more on this for you.....

> According to this readme page for the latest driver at
> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-linux/p1463703615/v44436/mpt
> linux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd.gz.txt
> CentOS 5 should already contain a "default driver version contained in the
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 installation CD"

Then again the MPT Drivers for that controller may have been dropped for
that controller. I do know several have been "End of Lifed" I know this
to be true for other high end server manufactures. Support for them
ended in RHEL 4. So that would = CentOS 4 as well.

> I would rather like to use that than go the complicated route of providing
> the latest HP driver. That "HP Internal Port SAS/SATA HBA with RAID"
> actually is a RAID controller from LSILogic and I tried to load all four
> LSILogic drivers provided on the driver list, but none is accepted.

See bios explaination above.

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-15-2008, 03:45 AM
John R Pierce

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
That "HP Internal Port SAS/SATA HBA with RAID"
actually is a RAID controller from LSILogic and I tried to load all four
LSILogic drivers provided on the driver list, but none is accepted.

HP raids tend to have custom microcode to implement various HP specific
features such as media interchange between all their different systems,
so they aren't likely going to work with the hardware vendors generic
OEM drivers.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

John R Pierce wrote on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:45:46 -0700:

> HP raids tend to have custom microcode to implement various HP specific
> features such as media interchange between all their different systems,
> so they aren't likely going to work with the hardware vendors generic
> OEM drivers.

I see. It looks, though, like they provide the genuine LSI drivers. There
is an mptlinux-4.00.13.01 driver from 2007 at the LSI site for the SAS1068
controller while HP provides a mptlinux-4.00.13.01-2 driver. It could
still be different, but from the sights it just seems to be a newer
version.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Kai Schaetzl

John wrote on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 23:26:59 -0400:

> Check your BIOS Settings for the controller. May be that it needs to set
> to "Mass Storage" if available in the HP Bios.

There is nothing I can set regarding this. There is also a built-in HP SATA
fakeRAID controller for the mainboard built-in SATA ports. I switched that off.
I also switched SATA ports off now. There's nothing else in the BIOS I could
try I think. There's also nothing in the controller's BIOS that seems to be
fitting this description, the only hardware-related thing I can change there,
is a hook interrupt or what they call it. I didn't dare to change that yet.

> > According to this readme page for the latest driver at
> > ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-linux/p1463703615/v44436/mpt
> > linux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd.gz.txt
> > CentOS 5 should already contain a "default driver version contained in the
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 installation CD"
>
> Then again the MPT Drivers for that controller may have been dropped for
> that controller.

Well, I was going by their description which says that RHEL 5 comes with these
drivers. Of course, that could still be wrong ...

I do know several have been "End of Lifed" I know this
> to be true for other high end server manufactures. Support for them
> ended in RHEL 4. So that would = CentOS 4 as well.

It seems that RHEL 4 did not have the drivers on board. Their software
configuration guide mentions that you need to install a driver (if I recall
right). Unfortunately, the guide wasn't updated for RHEL, although they say
they support RHEL 5 and 5.1 on this machine.

Maybe I actually hit a different problem than I think. This is the first time
that I need to install an extra driver for installation or use an external HBA
SAS/SATA adapter. Some more information:

During inital anaconda setup I can see that various mpt drivers get installed.
It's too fast output at this time to read well thru ALT F3/F4, but it looks
like the controller and SATA drives are found and handled under /dev/sda with
no error. The drivers loaded are mtpbase, mptscsih, mptsas and
scsi_transport_sas.
After choosing eth0 as install source and retrieving the kickstart file setup
asks me "unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation
type. Would you like to manually select your driver or sue a driver disk". The
"manual" selection gives me a list of storage drivers.
I then tried to use the driver given by HP which is a dd file and install it
from a USB stick. I can select /dev/sdb1 and it shows the .dd files as the only
one available. When I choose this it tells me "no devices of the appropriate
type were found on the driver disk". At the same time ALT+F4 shows "unable to
identify CD-ROM format" and F3 a line "modules to insert" that is empty. The dd
file is a 1.440 floppy image it seems. Am I doing something wrong here?

In case that matters: of course, I already set up the two drives in the LSI SAS
utility for a RAID1 configuration and it shows them now as "LSILogicLogical
Volume 3000" which seems to be quite ok to me.

I'd appreciate any insight you might have. I'm going to try out their forums
now and see how good they are.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 04-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Kai Schaetzl

there is a bug on the bugtracker concerning "lsilogic"
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2531
but I'm not sure if it could relate to my issue or not. Searching for
"lsilogic.ko" with Google reveals only this single article, so that
information might just be fake.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 04-15-2008, 04:27 PM
John

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 14:46 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> John wrote on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 23:26:59 -0400:
>
> > Check your BIOS Settings for the controller. May be that it needs to set
> > to "Mass Storage" if available in the HP Bios.
>
> There is nothing I can set regarding this. There is also a built-in HP SATA
> fakeRAID controller for the mainboard built-in SATA ports. I switched that off.
> I also switched SATA ports off now. There's nothing else in the BIOS I could
> try I think. There's also nothing in the controller's BIOS that seems to be
> fitting this description, the only hardware-related thing I can change there,
> is a hook interrupt or what they call it. I didn't dare to change that yet.
>
> > > According to this readme page for the latest driver at
> > > ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-linux/p1463703615/v44436/mpt
> > > linux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd.gz.txt

Well only other choice is to download the driver from HP and make it.
Put it on a floppy start the install and type linuxdd @ at the install
prompt. Or B...Look into using and older version of centos

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Scott Silva

on 4-15-2008 5:46 AM Kai Schaetzl spake the following:

[...]

Did you use the HP utilities to set up an array on the controller before you
tried to install?

AFAIR you can only do that from the setup disk that came with your server, or
download a new copy if you don't have it.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 04-15-2008, 04:43 PM
John

> [...]
> "manual" selection gives me a list of storage drivers.
> I then tried to use the driver given by HP which is a dd file and install it
> from a USB stick. I can select /dev/sdb1 and it shows the .dd files as the only
> one available. When I choose this it tells me "no devices of the appropriate
> type were found on the driver disk". At the same time ALT+F4 shows "unable to
> identify CD-ROM format" and F3 a line "modules to insert" that is empty. The dd
> file is a 1.440 floppy image it seems. Am I doing something wrong here?
>
> In case that matters: of course, I already set up the two drives in the LSI SAS
> utility for a RAID1 configuration and it shows them now as "LSILogicLogical
> Volume 3000" which seems to be quite ok to me.
>
> I'd appreciate any insight you might have. I'm going to try out their forums

****See here there is a reason I said type{linuxdd} and USE A FLOPPY. A
usb stick is not going to do the job. I don't think you read the README!
****

CREATING A DRIVER DISKETTE

MAKING A DISKETTE UNDER A LINUX-LIKE OS:

1) Save the "mptlinux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd.gz" file into a temporary directory. Use GUNZIP to extract
"mptlinux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd" from this file into the same directory

2) To make a diskette under Linux (or any other Linux-like operating system), you must have permission to write
to the device representing a 3.5-inch diskette drive (known as /dev/fd0 under Linux)

3) First, label a blank, formatted diskette appropriately (ProLiant Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Driver Diskette). Insert the diskette
into the floppy drive, but DO NOT issue the mount command:

# dd if=mptlinux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

4) This command creates a diskette containing the image of the input file (if=mptlinux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd) to an
output file (of=/dev/fd0) using the diskette size of 1440k (1.44MB). To make another diskette label that diskette,
and run "dd" again, specifying the correct input file.

INSTALLATION

To install Linux using this "ProLiant Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5" Driver Diskette,
boot your Linux machine with your Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 CD1 in
your CD-ROM Drive.

A menu will be displayed, prompting for your input. Type the following
line of code to inform the operating system of the diskette:

# linux dd

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 will prompt for the ProLiant
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Driver Diskette during the installation procedure.

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-15-2008, 04:47 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>AFAIR you can only do that from the setup disk that came with your server, or
>download a new copy if you don't have it.

You would do that from the controller's bios by pressing what ever function key is mapped to it which is displayed during the post.
jlc