FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 PM
"James B. Byrne"
 
Default System will not boot - faulty fstab?

I believe that I made a boo boo recently when recovering some unused
disk space. Without going into painfully embarrassing detail I need
to delete an entry in fstab for a now non-existent logical volume.

The system reports that the there is a bad superblock for said logical
volume. Mainly I expect because there isn't one anymore. How do I
edit fstab so as to remove the mount request? For some reason the
system will not boot from the cdrom and the I for interactive option
is just blown by when the HDD boot starts.


--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
James B. Byrne mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Harte & Lyne Limited http://www.harte-lyne.ca
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada L8E 3C3

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Ross Cavanagh
 
Default System will not boot - faulty fstab?

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:17 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>wrote:

> I believe that I made a boo boo recently when recovering some unused
> disk space. Without going into painfully embarrassing detail I need
> to delete an entry in fstab for a now non-existent logical volume.
>
> The system reports that the there is a bad superblock for said logical
> volume. Mainly I expect because there isn't one anymore. How do I
> edit fstab so as to remove the mount request? For some reason the
> system will not boot from the cdrom and the I for interactive option
> is just blown by when the HDD boot starts.


Can you have some other rescue device besides the CD then, can you boot to
USB and create a rescue disk image onto USB and then go and edit it?
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Ross Cavanagh
 
Default System will not boot - faulty fstab?

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Ross Cavanagh <ross.cav@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:17 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>wrote:
>
>> I believe that I made a boo boo recently when recovering some unused
>> disk space. Without going into painfully embarrassing detail I need
>> to delete an entry in fstab for a now non-existent logical volume.
>>
>> The system reports that the there is a bad superblock for said logical
>> volume. Mainly I expect because there isn't one anymore. How do I
>> edit fstab so as to remove the mount request? For some reason the
>> system will not boot from the cdrom and the I for interactive option
>> is just blown by when the HDD boot starts.
>
>
> Can you have some other rescue device besides the CD then, can you boot to
> USB and create a rescue disk image onto USB and then go and edit it?
>

Or pull the disk out if you have to and mount it on another system?
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 PM
"James B. Byrne"
 
Default System will not boot - faulty fstab?

On Thu, August 23, 2012 18:17, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I believe that I made a boo boo recently when recovering some unused
> disk space. Without going into painfully embarrassing detail I need
> to delete an entry in fstab for a now non-existent logical volume.
>
> The system reports that the there is a bad superblock for said logical
> volume. Mainly I expect because there isn't one anymore. How do I
> edit fstab so as to remove the mount request? For some reason the
> system will not boot from the cdrom and the I for interactive option
> is just blown by when the HDD boot starts.

I discovered the problem with the cd-rom. It is just that, a cd-rom,
and I was trying to boot from a dvd rescue disk. I have corrected that
problem, edited fstab, and rebooted the system, apparently with
success, so far.


--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
James B. Byrne mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Harte & Lyne Limited http://www.harte-lyne.ca
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada L8E 3C3

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Leonard den Ottolander
 
Default System will not boot - faulty fstab?

Hello James,

On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 19:06 -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I discovered the problem with the cd-rom. It is just that, a cd-rom,
> and I was trying to boot from a dvd rescue disk. I have corrected that
> problem, edited fstab, and rebooted the system, apparently with
> success, so far.

On failed boot one used to be presented with a single user mode root
login. Didn't the system offer you that option after failing to mount
said partition? It might be you need to "escape away" the graphical boot
screen to see that prompt.

FYI, the interactive boot mode probably isn't very helpful in a
situation like this as mounting partitions is not an option one can
skip .

Regards,
Leonard.

--
mount -t life -o ro /dev/dna /genetic/research


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 PM
"James B. Byrne"
 
Default System will not boot - faulty fstab?

On Fri, August 24, 2012 03:05, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 19:06 -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
>> I discovered the problem with the cd-rom. It is just that, a
>> cd-rom, and I was trying to boot from a dvd rescue disk. I
>> have corrected that problem, edited fstab, and rebooted the
>> system, apparently with success, so far.
>
> On failed boot one used to be presented with a single user mode root
> login. Didn't the system offer you that option after failing to mount
> said partition? It might be you need to "escape away" the graphical
> boot screen to see that prompt.

It still does, and I was able to edit fstab in it. I just could not
save the changes because the file system was read-only.

>
> FYI, the interactive boot mode probably isn't very helpful in a
> situation like this as mounting partitions is not an option one can
> skip .
>

Ah well. Nothing lost then. But why does the boot loader offer the
'I' option if one cannot make use of it?


--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
James B. Byrne mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Harte & Lyne Limited http://www.harte-lyne.ca
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada L8E 3C3

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Leonard den Ottolander
 
Default System will not boot - faulty fstab?

Hello James,

On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 16:14 -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> It still does, and I was able to edit fstab in it. I just could not
> save the changes because the file system was read-only.

If you remount rw you should be able to save those changes.

> Ah well. Nothing lost then. But why does the boot loader offer the
> 'I' option if one cannot make use of it?

Because it does allow you to skip the starting of services that might be
causing problems. Just not the mounting of fstab entries. So it's still
useful in some situations.

Regards,
Leonard.

--
mount -t life -o ro /dev/dna /genetic/research


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:51 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org