Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Jobst Schmalenbach

Default Loading drivers during "linux rescue"

Hi

I got a new Adaptec 6405 card with a set of new harddrives.
Problem that I assumed that the card had kernel drivers, which it has but only from 2.6.39 onwards.

I installed the kmod-aacraid drivers, they see the card and drives, fine.

However, I need to get a "linux rescue" to work, thus I need to load the drivers during the boot of the resuce disk.
How do I do this?

thanks
Jobst

--
C is a write-only language.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 AM
John Doe

From: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst@barrett.com.au>

> I got a new Adaptec 6405 card with a set of new harddrives.
> Problem that I assumed that the card had kernel drivers, which it has but only
> from 2.6.39 onwards.
>
> I installed the kmod-aacraid drivers, they see the card and drives, fine.
>
> However, I need to get a "linux rescue" to work, thus I need to load
> the drivers during the boot of the resuce disk.
> How do I do this?

Tried adaptec's driver disk?
http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/raid/aac/linux/aacraid_linux_driverdisks_v1_1_7-29100_tgz.htm

JD

Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Jobst Schmalenbach

Sorry, maybe I did not give enough information.
I have the drivers from adaptecs site (plus the kmod stuff).

At least once I need to boot the rescue disk to select the
bootpartition and install grub on the new drives, I need to insmod
the drivers, but I do not know where and how to do that during
the boot process of the rescue disk (there is no menu for that).

I have never had to do this before ... in all the years of using Linux ;-)

Jobst

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 02:31:55AM -0700, John Doe (jdmls@yahoo.com) wrote:
> From: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst@barrett.com.au>
>
> > I got a new Adaptec 6405 card with a set of new harddrives.
> > Problem that I assumed that the card had kernel drivers, which it has but only
> > from 2.6.39 onwards.
> >
> > I installed the kmod-aacraid drivers, they see the card and drives, fine.
> >
> > However, I need to get a "linux rescue" to work, thus I need to load
> > the drivers during the boot of the resuce disk.
> > How do I do this?
>
> Tried adaptec's driver disk?
> http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/raid/aac/linux/aacraid_linux_driverdisks_v1_1_7-29100_tgz.htm
>
> JD

while ( !sorted ) { do_nothing ( ) ; }

Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Stu Watts

Hi Jobst,

I believe you'll need to build a new initrd image and include the driver
modules. Try http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CreateNewInitrd for a
start. There are other guides out there too.

Good luck!

Stu

On 23 August 2012 13:08, Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst@barrett.com.au> wrote:

> Sorry, maybe I did not give enough information.
> I have the drivers from adaptecs site (plus the kmod stuff).
>
> At least once I need to boot the rescue disk to select the
> bootpartition and install grub on the new drives, I need to insmod
> the drivers, but I do not know where and how to do that during
> the boot process of the rescue disk (there is no menu for that).
>
> I have never had to do this before ... in all the years of using Linux ;-)
>

> Jobst
>

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 02:31:55AM -0700, John Doe (jdmls@yahoo.com)
> wrote:
> > From: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst@barrett.com.au>
> >
> > > I got a new Adaptec 6405 card with a set of new harddrives.
> > > Problem that I assumed that the card had kernel drivers, which it has
> but only
> > > from 2.6.39 onwards.
> > >
> > > I installed the kmod-aacraid drivers, they see the card and drives,
> fine.
> > >
> > > However, I need to get a "linux rescue" to work, thus I need to load
> > > the drivers during the boot of the resuce disk.
> > > How do I do this?
> >
> > Tried adaptec's driver disk?
> >
> http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/raid/aac/linux/aacraid_linux_driverdisks_v1_1_7-29100_tgz.htm
> >
> > JD

> while ( !sorted ) { do_nothing ( ) ; }
>
> | |0| | Jobst Schmalenbach, jobst@barrett.com.au, General Manager
> |0|0|0| +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia

Stu

"Did I do that deja-vu joke?"

Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM
John Doe

From: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst@barrett.com.au>

> At least once I need to boot the rescue disk to select the
> bootpartition and install grub on the new drives, I need to insmod
> the drivers, but I do not know where and how to do that during
> the boot process of the rescue disk (there is no menu for that).

Look at the dd option in the documentation:
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-rescuemode.html#s1-rescuemode-boot

JD