Old 08-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Jimmy Bradley

Default secure boot.

I've been reading up some about the new "secure boot" that's
coming out on new machines when MS releases Win 8. Has a workaround been
developed yet for those of us who don't want to run windows? Typically,
I mostly build my own desktops, and I install cent os right from the
start, but sometimes I do buy a desktop, and naturally it comes with
windows on it, so I have to do a wipe and load, to get rid of windows.

Jim

Old 08-23-2012, 07:04 AM
James Hogarth

On 23 August 2012 05:51, Jimmy Bradley <bmobile40@ocellaris.net> wrote:
> I've been reading up some about the new "secure boot" that's
> coming out on new machines when MS releases Win 8. Has a workaround been
> developed yet for those of us who don't want to run windows? Typically,
> I mostly build my own desktops, and I install cent os right from the
> start, but sometimes I do buy a desktop, and naturally it comes with
> windows on it, so I have to do a wipe and load, to get rid of windows.

On X86 you will be able to disable the secure boot so you can then
install what you want - not such a big deal....

It's ARM (which is not currently supported of course) which is the
questionable one...

Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 AM
John Doe

From: Jimmy Bradley <bmobile40@ocellaris.net>
>* * * * * * I've been reading up some about the new "secure boot" that's
>coming out on new machines when MS releases Win 8. Has a workaround been
>developed yet for those of us who don't want to run windows? Typically,
>I mostly build my own desktops, and I install cent os right from the
>start, but sometimes I do buy a desktop, and naturally it comes with
>windows on it, so I have to do a wipe and load, to get rid of windows.

First, the manufacturer can/should decide to let the user enable/disable secure boot in the bios...

As for linux, from memory, different distributions chose different paths...
I think RedHat will apparently buy a key from verisign and Canonical has decided to use their own key.
I think they need to use non GPL boot loaders (to protect the key I guess), so no grub2...

JD

Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 08/23/2012 10:39 AM, John Doe wrote:
> From: Jimmy Bradley <bmobile40@ocellaris.net>
>> I've been reading up some about the new "secure boot" that's
>> coming out on new machines when MS releases Win 8. Has a workaround been
>> developed yet for those of us who don't want to run windows? Typically,
>> I mostly build my own desktops, and I install cent os right from the
>> start, but sometimes I do buy a desktop, and naturally it comes with
>> windows on it, so I have to do a wipe and load, to get rid of windows.
>
> First, the manufacturer can/should decide to let the user enable/disable secure boot in the bios...

Actually at least for X86 hardware the Microsoft certification guidelines
*mandate* that the secure boot can be disabled.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 08-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Mark LaPierre

On 08/23/2012 06:56 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 08/23/2012 10:39 AM, John Doe wrote:
>> From: Jimmy Bradley<bmobile40@ocellaris.net>
>>> I've been reading up some about the new "secure boot" that's
>>> coming out on new machines when MS releases Win 8. Has a workaround been
>>> developed yet for those of us who don't want to run windows? Typically,
>>> I mostly build my own desktops, and I install cent os right from the
>>> start, but sometimes I do buy a desktop, and naturally it comes with
>>> windows on it, so I have to do a wipe and load, to get rid of windows.
>>
>> First, the manufacturer can/should decide to let the user enable/disable secure boot in the bios...
>
> Actually at least for X86 hardware the Microsoft certification guidelines
> *mandate* that the secure boot can be disabled.
>
> Regards,
> Dennis

So I gather that MS plans to abandon the X86 platform and move over to
supporting ARM. They think, "Let Linux have the X86. It will die after
we abandon it leaving them with nothing to run on." The evil empire lives.

--
_
/(_)