Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Götz Reinicke

Default proftp drives me crazy ....

Hi,

I installed proftpd from Centos repository to my Centos 6.3 server.

Iptables and selinux are off; I do have one unix user which can ssh and
login to the server.

I do use the default config and cant login to the ftp server (home
directory of that user is all I want) :/

I use filezilla and Mac OS X native ftp access, both fails with
incorrect login (530)

WTF can be wrong? Or what may I have to change?

Thanks for any hints and suggestions! Regards . Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 82 420
Fax +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Jürgen Walter MdL
Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt

Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 AM
anax

The shell of the approp user not defined in /etc/shells?
The user in /etc/ftpusers to deny access?
The ftp server not started?

suomi

Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 08/21/2012 10:29 AM, Götz Reinicke wrote:
> I installed proftpd from Centos repository to my Centos 6.3 server.

CentOS does not ship proftpd - so you might want to check where you got
it from.

> can be wrong? Or what may I have to change?
look at the log files on the server to see what is reported, then read
the config files to make sure there is authentication setup.

Or even better, get rid of proftpd and just install vsftpd which should
work out of the box on a CentOS machine ( and its included in the CentOS
repos )

Also, have you considered trimming your signature a bit ? at 23 lines
its a bit over the usual 4 lines that most people stick with on mailing
lists.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Götz Reinicke

Am 21.08.12 11:39, schrieb anax:
> The shell of the approp user not defined in /etc/shells?

It is, login by ssh uses that shell.

> The user in /etc/ftpusers to deny access?

nop

> The ftp server not started?

it is started

Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Götz Reinicke

Am 21.08.12 11:41, schrieb Karanbir Singh:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/21/2012 10:29 AM, Götz Reinicke wrote:
>> I installed proftpd from Centos repository to my Centos 6.3 server.
>
> CentOS does not ship proftpd - so you might want to check where you got
> it from.

/("&§ repositories; it's from rpmforge. Sorry.

>> can be wrong? Or what may I have to change?
> look at the log files on the server to see what is reported, then read
> the config files to make sure there is authentication setup.
>
> Or even better, get rid of proftpd and just install vsftpd which should
> work out of the box on a CentOS machine ( and its included in the CentOS
> repos )

I'll try vsftpd.

> Also, have you considered trimming your signature a bit ? at 23 lines
> its a bit over the usual 4 lines that most people stick with on mailing
> lists.

Sorry for that much mail signature, but that's our company policy and
have to use it that way...

Thanks & Regards . Götz

Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:46:45AM +0200, Götz Reinicke wrote:

> Sorry for that much mail signature, but that's our company policy and
> have to use it that way...

Post from another mail account, then? Signatures that long are rude to
those of us that don't really care about your corporate policies.

--
When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: "Whose?"

-- Don Marquis (1878-1937), American humorist, journalist, and author