Old 08-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Ken Smith

Default Sendmail Masquerade

Hi All,

I'm usually quite good with sendmail on Centos 5.8 but I must have
missed something here. I've not done this before but, I want to set
sendmail so that its outgoing mail appears to come from the domain of
the network it lives on. Its real hostname is server2.domain.co.uk ( the
domain bit is substituted for this post) and I want it to send as
domain.co.uk, that is really valid, but the specific host
server2.domain.co.uk does not have an A record and other mailservers
reject its outgoing mail because server2.domain.co.uk does not resolve.
But with these settings in sendmail.mc it still sends as
server2.domain.co.uk if I simply type "mail -s test kens@kensnet.org"
into bash.

MASQUERADE_AS(`domain.co.uk')dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(domain.co.uk)dnl

(Yes I have done the m4 bit and restarted sendmail)

If I telnet to sendmail on port 25 and manually send as
username@domain.co.uk it has the right "from" address.

So what have I missed?

Thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Ken Smith <kens@kensnet.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm usually quite good with sendmail on Centos 5.8 but I must have
> missed something here. I've not done this before but, I want to set
> sendmail so that its outgoing mail appears to come from the domain of
> the network it lives on. Its real hostname is server2.domain.co.uk ( the
> domain bit is substituted for this post) and I want it to send as
> domain.co.uk, that is really valid, but the specific host
> server2.domain.co.uk does not have an A record and other mailservers
> reject its outgoing mail because server2.domain.co.uk does not resolve.
> But with these settings in sendmail.mc it still sends as
> server2.domain.co.uk if I simply type "mail -s test kens@kensnet.org"
> into bash.
>
> MASQUERADE_AS(`domain.co.uk')dnl
> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
> FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
> MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(domain.co.uk)dnl
>
> (Yes I have done the m4 bit and restarted sendmail)
>
> If I telnet to sendmail on port 25 and manually send as
> username@domain.co.uk it has the right "from" address.
>
> So what have I missed?

Are you doing the test that fails as the 'EXPOSED_USER' in sendmail.mc
(i.e. root)? That is for intentional exceptions to MASQUERADE_AS so
you can tell where system type messages from cron jobs, etc. originate
if you send everything to a mail hub.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Ken Smith

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Ken Smith<kens@kensnet.org> wrote:
>
>> {snip}
>>
>> So what have I missed?
>>
> Are you doing the test that fails as the 'EXPOSED_USER' in sendmail.mc
> (i.e. root)? That is for intentional exceptions to MASQUERADE_AS so
> you can tell where system type messages from cron jobs, etc. originate
> if you send everything to a mail hub.

Ah cracked it in one. That's the problem. Thanks Ken

believed to be clean.