Old 08-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Keith Roberts

Default Intel D425KT Motherboard / Realtek RTL8105E

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Tim Nelson wrote:

> From: Tim Nelson <tnelson@rockbochs.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] Intel D425KT Motherboard / Realtek RTL8105E
>
> Greetings-
>
> I'm attempting to get CentOS 5.5 x86 (yes, very specific version required for specific software usage scenario... don't ask) running on an Intel D425KT mini-ITX motherboard. Everything works fine, with the exception of the onboard ethernet, which is a Realtek RTL8105E chip. The stock CentOS installation attempts to use the r8169 driver, which does not work. I've been around the block a few times dealing with Realtek interfaces and their driver hell, but this one is stumping me.
>
> Things tried so far:
>
> -Adding pci=assign-busses to the kernel parameters
> -Installing kmod-r8101 from elrepo, old and new versions
> -Compiling driver from scratch direct from Realtek
>
> In every test, I end up with what *appears* to be a functioning ethernet interface (r8101 driver detects chip as RTL8105E correctly), or as reported by the software (ifconfig, ethtool, etc). But, I just cannot get any traffic to pass. There is a link light for the ethernet interface, but no actual activity when testing.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hi Tim.

If this NIC is built onto the motherboard, would it not be
easier just to find an (PCI?) expansion slot NIC that is
known to work out of the box on Centos 5.5 and use that
instead?

HTH

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Keith Roberts

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Tim Nelson wrote:

>> From: Tim Nelson <tnelson@rockbochs.com>
>> Subject: [CentOS] Intel D425KT Motherboard / Realtek RTL8105E
>>
>> Greetings-
>>
>> I'm attempting to get CentOS 5.5 x86 (yes, very specific version required for specific software usage scenario... don't ask) running on an Intel D425KT mini-ITX motherboard. Everything works fine, with the exception of the onboard ethernet, which is a Realtek RTL8105E chip. The stock CentOS installation attempts to use the r8169 driver, which does not work. I've been around the block a few times dealing with Realtek interfaces and their driver hell, but this one is stumping me.
>>
>> Things tried so far:
>>
>> -Adding pci=assign-busses to the kernel parameters
>> -Installing kmod-r8101 from elrepo, old and new versions
>> -Compiling driver from scratch direct from Realtek
>>
>> In every test, I end up with what *appears* to be a functioning ethernet interface (r8101 driver detects chip as RTL8105E correctly), or as reported by the software (ifconfig, ethtool, etc). But, I just cannot get any traffic to pass. There is a link light for the ethernet interface, but no actual activity when testing.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Hi Tim.
>
> If this NIC is built onto the motherboard, would it not be
> easier just to find an (PCI?) expansion slot NIC that is
> known to work out of the box on Centos 5.5 and use that
> instead?

Or the other option could be to use a USB to RJ45 adaptor
instead of the onboard NIC?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-LAN01-Usb-lan-RJ45/dp/B000CCZP88/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345222425&sr=8-3

Old 08-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Keith Roberts wrote:
*snip*

> Or the other option could be to use a USB to RJ45 adaptor instead of the
> onboard NIC?
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-LAN01-Usb-lan-RJ45/dp/B000CCZP88/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345222425&sr=8-3

Here's an interesting article about using Ethernet over USB:

"The ability to connect Ethernet devices via USB ports is
known as Ethernet over USB. There are many low-cost
commercial adapters available to do this. The links below
describe the technical details on how the technology works."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_USB

Old 08-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Tim Nelson

> If this NIC is built onto the motherboard, would it not be
> easier just to find an (PCI?) expansion slot NIC that is
> known to work out of the box on Centos 5.5 and use that
> instead?

Yes, that is what I'm doing for testing and working on the system, but given the board is mini-ITZ with a single PCI slot which will be filled later with a different card, this isn't much of a solution.

--Tim

Old 08-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Tim Nelson

> Or the other option could be to use a USB to RJ45 adaptor
> instead of the onboard NIC?

Gross. Have you used any USB<->Ethernet adapters lately? I have, and they are horrible.

--Tim

Old 08-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Tim Nelson wrote:
> Greetings-
>
> I'm attempting to get CentOS 5.5 x86 (yes, very specific version required
> for specific software usage scenario... don't ask) running on an Intel
> D425KT mini-ITX motherboard. Everything works fine, with the exception of
> the onboard ethernet, which is a Realtek RTL8105E chip. The stock CentOS
> installation attempts to use the r8169 driver, which does not work. I've
> been around the block a few times dealing with Realtek interfaces and
> their driver hell, but this one is stumping me.
<snip>
I've got a baaad feeling about this. Have you considered returning the m/b
for a replacement?

mark

Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Tim Nelson

> > I'm attempting to get CentOS 5.5 x86 (yes, very specific version
> > required
> > for specific software usage scenario... don't ask) running on an
> > Intel
> > D425KT mini-ITX motherboard. Everything works fine, with the
> > exception of
> > the onboard ethernet, which is a Realtek RTL8105E chip. The stock
> > CentOS
> > installation attempts to use the r8169 driver, which does not work.
> > I've
> > been around the block a few times dealing with Realtek interfaces
> > and
> > their driver hell, but this one is stumping me.
> <snip>
> I've got a baaad feeling about this. Have you considered returning
> the m/b
> for a replacement?

Yes, it crossed my mind, but the fact is I have 4 of these boards, all with the same symptoms.

--Tim

Old 08-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Tim Nelson wrote:

> From: Tim Nelson <tnelson@rockbochs.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Intel D425KT Motherboard / Realtek RTL8105E

Hi Tim.

Nope not had any need to yet.

Why are they gross then?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Tim Nelson

> >> Or the other option could be to use a USB to RJ45 adaptor
> >> instead of the onboard NIC?
> >>

> > Gross. Have you used any USB<->Ethernet adapters lately? I
> > have, and they are horrible.
>
> Hi Tim.
>
> Nope not had any need to yet.
>
> Why are they gross then?

"Gross", as in:

-High latency
-Poor throughput
-Random link connects/disconnects
-Random traffic slowdowns

In general, they fit the bill for 'ease of installation', but miss the mark on everything else a NIC should be.

Maybe I got a bad batch, but I've tried 4 or 5 different models, all the same results.

--Tim

Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Tim Nelson wrote:

*snip*

> "Gross", as in:
>
> -High latency
> -Poor throughput
> -Random link connects/disconnects
> -Random traffic slowdowns
>
> In general, they fit the bill for 'ease of installation',
> but miss the mark on everything else a NIC should be.
>
> Maybe I got a bad batch, but I've tried 4 or 5 different
> models, all the same results.

As a test case, have you tried booting from a recent
Live CD version of Linux, like Parted Magic:

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=screenshots

It's also included on the UBCD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/index.html

If you can get this onboard NIC working OK from Parted
Magic, then at least you know it's not the NIC hardware.

You might find the hardware identification routines in the
Parted Magic distro can give you some helpful pointers too.