Old 04-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Jerry Geis

Default logging items to the console using centos 5.1

I need to (occasionally) automatically drop out of X11 mode,
recompile something, and then reboot.

I can drop out of X11 with "init 3", works fine.
I use "chvt 1" to ensure I am on virtual terminal 1
My recompile and reboot also work.

The piece that doesnt work is:

make | tee $LOGFILE

I was expecting the output (stdout) to be virtual terminal 1.
My LOGFILE has all commands in it from my successful recompile but I
dont see anything on virtual terminal 1.

How do I get the output of my make to show on the console and also in my
logfile?

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> How do I get the output of my make to show on the console and also in my
> logfile?

Use "script". Type "script logfile.txt", it will open a new shell.
After that, everything you type and the output of commands will go to
the terminal and to the logfile. After that, just use "exit" or Ctrl-D
to exit the shell, it will stop logging. For more details, "man
script". It's part of the util-linux rpm, so you'll certainly have it
installed already.

HTH,
Filipe