Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Default vi defaults in 6.x

Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> > This just verifies that you don't have a vi
>
> boah how often should we explain it until you
> understand taht on CENTOS there is NO vi package
>
> there is only VIM

Nice to see, that you finally realized it too.....

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> William Hooper <whooperhsd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Joerg Schilling
>> <Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > Of course

>> > You seem to missunderstand that there is a program called "vi" and
>> > another program called "vim".
>>
>> Not on a standard CentOS system.
>>
>> [whooper@chef ~]$ /bin/vi --version
>> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Apr 5 2012 10:17:55)
>
> This just verifies that you don't have a vi.

This just verifies that you're playing word games. If you want vi that's
not vim, may I ask which *version* of vi you would consider to be vi - one
from, say, Sun OS 3? Or from the Irix that ran on our Indigo in the
early/mid-nineties? or one from Tru-64 in the late nineties? or were you
insisting on one that ran on a system from the early-to-mid-eighties?

mark

Old 08-20-2012, 03:27 PM

<m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> This just verifies that you're playing word games. If you want vi that's
> not vim, may I ask which *version* of vi you would consider to be vi - one
> from, say, Sun OS 3? Or from the Irix that ran on our Indigo in the
> early/mid-nineties? or one from Tru-64 in the late nineties? or were you
> insisting on one that ran on a system from the early-to-mid-eighties?

SunOS 3 Vi source not available to the public.
Irix Vi source not available to the public.
Tru-64 Vi source not available to the public.

You currently may have the vi source from aprox. 1979 under a 4 clause BSD license
or the current Solaris vi under the CDDL. The latter was POSIX compliant approved.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 08-20-2012, 03:35 PM

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> This just verifies that you're playing word games. If you want vi that's
>> not vim, may I ask which *version* of vi you would consider to be vi -
>> one
>> from, say, Sun OS 3? Or from the Irix that ran on our Indigo in the
>> early/mid-nineties? or one from Tru-64 in the late nineties? or were you
>> insisting on one that ran on a system from the early-to-mid-eighties?
>
> SunOS 3 Vi source not available to the public.
> Irix Vi source not available to the public.
> Tru-64 Vi source not available to the public.
>
> You currently may have the vi source from aprox. 1979 under a 4 clause BSD
> license or the current Solaris vi under the CDDL. The latter was POSIX
> compliant approved.

And so you assert that if you don't have a version of vi that is strictly
compatible with the 1979 source, and has no improvements or bugfixes, it's
not vi?

mark

Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 PM

<m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> > You currently may have the vi source from aprox. 1979 under a 4 clause BSD
> > license or the current Solaris vi under the CDDL. The latter was POSIX
> > compliant approved.
>
> And so you assert that if you don't have a version of vi that is strictly
> compatible with the 1979 source, and has no improvements or bugfixes, it's
> not vi?

Nobody forces you to use the 1979 version that is not 8 bit clean anyway.

Recent vi versions of course have improvements and bug-fixes.

BTW: I don't use vi as I am using my "ved" that is faster than vi.

People who use the vi however complained that vim is not fully vi compatible and
that they prefer to have a real vi under the name "vi". People who prefer vim
could still call vim.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> People who use the vi however complained that vim is not fully vi compatible and
> that they prefer to have a real vi under the name "vi". People who prefer vim
> could still call vim.

My complaint that started this thread turns out to be not so much
about vim not being vi compatible when executed with the vi name as
that non-root users get a default alias of vi='vim', with surprising
results. Even though they are both part of the vim package, they act
differently.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Gordon Messmer

On 08/20/2012 04:07 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Gordon Messmer<yinyang@eburg.com> wrote:
>
>> >Actually, it's a shell alias. And then, only if "vim" is installed,
>> >which it isn't in some configurations. IIRC, desktop systems have him
>> >by default, but server installations do not.
> It is neither a symlink nor a shell alias - execpt maybe for platforms that
> for some reason don't include vi.

On a CentOS system, "vi" will be a shell alias when the "vim" package is
installed. Otherwise it will be a variant of "vim" which is more
compatible with the POSIX description of "vi" (though not 100%). As we
are discussing CentOS, I believe my statements did not require
correction. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Markus Falb

On 20.8.2012 19:16, Gordon Messmer wrote:

>> It is neither a symlink nor a shell alias - execpt maybe for platforms that
>> for some reason don't include vi.
>
> On a CentOS system, "vi" will be a shell alias when the "vim" package is
> installed. Otherwise it will be a variant of "vim" which is more
> compatible with the POSIX description of "vi" (though not 100%). As we
> are discussing CentOS, I believe my statements did not require
> correction. Thanks.

I got curious ;-)

vim-minimal installs /bin/vi
vim-enhanced installs /usr/bin/vim and sets the alias (the "vim" package)

[falb@xxx ~]$ which vi
alias vi='vim'
/usr/bin/vim
[falb@xxx ~]$ which vim
/usr/bin/vim
[falb@xxx ~]$ whereis vi
vi: /bin/vi /usr/share/man/man1/vi.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1p/vi.1p.gz

But the alias is not set for root!

[root@xxx ~]# which vi
/bin/vi
[root@xxx ~]# which vim
/usr/bin/vim
--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb

Old 08-26-2012, 02:45 PM

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 08:26:48 Markus Falb <markus.falb@fasel.at> wrote:

> On 20.8.2012 19:16, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> >> It is neither a symlink nor a shell alias - execpt maybe for platforms that
> >> for some reason don't include vi.
> >
> > On a CentOS system, "vi" will be a shell alias when the "vim" package is
> > installed. Otherwise it will be a variant of "vim" which is more
> > compatible with the POSIX description of "vi" (though not 100%). As we
> > are discussing CentOS, I believe my statements did not require
> > correction. Thanks.
>
> I got curious ;-)
>
> vim-minimal installs /bin/vi
> vim-enhanced installs /usr/bin/vim and sets the alias (the "vim" package)
>
> [falb@xxx ~]$ which vi
> alias vi='vim'
> /usr/bin/vim
> [falb@xxx ~]$ which vim
> /usr/bin/vim
> [falb@xxx ~]$ whereis vi
> vi: /bin/vi /usr/share/man/man1/vi.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1p/vi.1p.gz
>
> But the alias is not set for root!

FWIW, If you comment out the line "[ -n "$ID" -a "$ID" -le 200 ] && return" in
/etc/profile.d/vim.sh then the alias will be set at login.

Tom me@tdiehl.org Spamtrap address me123@tdiehl.org