Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Bill Campbell

Default KVM Setup for Win7 Pro on CentOS 5.x

Can somebody point me to a HowTO or other documentation describing the
tools available under the CentOS 5 KVM package to create and manage a
Windows 7 Pro VM? All my VM experience to date has been the old free
VMware Server.

I need to:
+ Create the VM instance allowing for about 50GB total disk space which
will be either a single image partitioned into two Windows 'Drives'
for the OS and applications/data, or two images.

+ Install Windows 7 from an OEM System Builder Pack, either using the
CD/DVD drive on the Linux server or from an image created with 'dd'
from the Win7 media.

+ Set up network bridging on the private LAN so that the Windows system
is accessible via OpenVPN connections from the outside world and by
users on the LAN to run a client/server accounting application.

Thanks

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

The demands of the majority are always greater than taxation
alone can provide and thats where the FED comes in. The value of
the dollar has depreciated 97% since the creation of the FED.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Arun Khan

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Bill Campbell <centos@celestial.com> wrote:
> Can somebody point me to a HowTO or other documentation describing the
> tools available under the CentOS 5 KVM package to create and manage a
> Windows 7 Pro VM? All my VM experience to date has been the old free
> VMware Server.

Assuming you have hardware acceleration and 64 bit version installed,
look for the virt-manager package.

The interface is very similar to virtual box.

> I need to:
> + Create the VM instance allowing for about 50GB total disk space which
> will be either a single image partitioned into two Windows 'Drives'
> for the OS and applications/data, or two images.

The default location for the hard disk image file is under /var/lib
path. This can be changed to point to a different location if you
are planning many such large installation. An alternate method could
be to define a file or a LVM and then tell virt-manager the location
of this file/LVM volume.

> + Install Windows 7 from an OEM System Builder Pack, either using the
> CD/DVD drive on the Linux server or from an image created with 'dd'
> from the Win7 media.

Any x86 OS can be installed. Choose a NIC like Realtek or Intel Pro,
drivers for which should be recognizable by the Windows installer.

> + Set up network bridging on the private LAN so that the Windows system
> is accessible via OpenVPN connections from the outside world and by
> users on the LAN to run a client/server accounting application.

I have done KVM VLANs but I am not sure if it can be done from the
virt-manager. Experiment and see how far you can go.

Best,
--
Arun Khan
"As a layman, I would say we have it, but as a scientist I have to

Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Arun Khan <knura9@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Bill Campbell <centos@celestial.com> wrote:
>> + Install Windows 7 from an OEM System Builder Pack, either using the
>> CD/DVD drive on the Linux server or from an image created with 'dd'
>> from the Win7 media.
>
> Any x86 OS can be installed.

+1

IIRC, according to:
http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-doc.html

about 25 CPU architechtures are supported by qemu which is usually
included in distributions.
x86 is just one of them.

Rajagopal

Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Bill Campbell

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012, Arun Khan wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Bill Campbell <centos@celestial.com> wrote:
>> Can somebody point me to a HowTO or other documentation describing the
>> tools available under the CentOS 5 KVM package to create and manage a
>> Windows 7 Pro VM? All my VM experience to date has been the old free
>> VMware Server.
>
>Assuming you have hardware acceleration and 64 bit version installed,
>look for the virt-manager package.

Thanks. I found that after doing some poking around. I'll be in
my normal 'learn by destroying' mode this afternoon (apologies to
Jeff Lieberman of learnbydestroying.com :-).

>The interface is very similar to virtual box.

I've never used that, only VMware so far.

>> I need to:
>> + Create the VM instance allowing for about 50GB total disk space which
>> will be either a single image partitioned into two Windows 'Drives'
>> for the OS and applications/data, or two images.
>
>The default location for the hard disk image file is under /var/lib
>path. This can be changed to point to a different location if you
>are planning many such large installation. An alternate method could
>be to define a file or a LVM and then tell virt-manager the location
>of this file/LVM volume.

Thanks for that info. It looks like everything is under
/var/lib/libvrt.

I assume that I can replace /var/lib/libvirt/images with a
symlink to another file system with adequate space.

Would it be safe to symlink the entire /var/lib/libvrt directory
to another file system? I just tried 'lsof /var/lib/libvirt' on
the system with no VMs and the libvrtd service running, and it
doesn't show anything using it at idle.

>> + Install Windows 7 from an OEM System Builder Pack, either using the
>> CD/DVD drive on the Linux server or from an image created with 'dd'
>> from the Win7 media.
>
>Any x86 OS can be installed. Choose a NIC like Realtek or Intel Pro,
>drivers for which should be recognizable by the Windows installer.
>
>> + Set up network bridging on the private LAN so that the Windows system
>> is accessible via OpenVPN connections from the outside world and by
>> users on the LAN to run a client/server accounting application.
>
>I have done KVM VLANs but I am not sure if it can be done from the
>virt-manager. Experiment and see how far you can go.

I will be digging into this later today. So far I've found the
file /var/lib/libvirt/network/default.xml and see a vibr0
interface defined.

The documentation I found yesterday described setting up briding,
but hopefully virt-manager has a nicer way to do it.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Our Foreign dealings are an Open Book, generally a Check Book.
Will Rogers

Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Lars Hecking

Digimer's tutorial is excellent, even your particular usage case covers only
partial aspects of what is described here or you're not doing clusters.

https://alteeve.com/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial

Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Theo Band

On 08/16/2012 06:36 PM, Bill Campbell wrote:
> I need to:
> + Create the VM instance allowing for about 50GB total disk space which
> will be either a single image partitioned into two Windows 'Drives'
> for the OS and applications/data, or two images.
>> The default location for the hard disk image file is under /var/lib
>> path. This can be changed to point to a different location if you
>> are planning many such large installation. An alternate method could
>> be to define a file or a LVM and then tell virt-manager the location
>> of this file/LVM volume.
> Thanks for that info. It looks like everything is under
> /var/lib/libvrt.
>
> I assume that I can replace /var/lib/libvirt/images with a
> symlink to another file system with adequate space.
>
> Would it be safe to symlink the entire /var/lib/libvrt directory
> to another file system? I just tried 'lsof /var/lib/libvirt' on
> the system with no VMs and the libvrtd service running, and it
> doesn't show anything using it at idle.
Yes, as long as SeLinux is not enforced.
But why not simply mount a dedicated partition here? The actual path is
stored in de VM definition. So existing machines need to be changed
(virsh edit <VM>). I think the default path is only used as e default
location. I have moved the images of several machines to a NFS path to
make live migration work.
Do remember that /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/save is used to save system state
when rebooting. Still needs several GB of space for that.
> + Set up network bridging on the private LAN so that the Windows system
> is accessible via OpenVPN connections from the outside world and by
> users on the LAN to run a client/server accounting application.
>> I have done KVM VLANs but I am not sure if it can be done from the
>> virt-manager. Experiment and see how far you can go.
> I will be digging into this later today. So far I've found the
> file /var/lib/libvirt/network/default.xml and see a vibr0
> interface defined.
>
> The documentation I found yesterday described setting up briding,
> but hopefully virt-manager has a nicer way to do it.
This I find the most difficult part. I have done it a couple of time and
made myself a HOWTO. You need to fill in some IP figures of course. I
assume a fixed IP address, but DHCP should work as well. The setup
creates a bridge and adds and existing interface (ifcfg-ethx) to that
bridge. After that you can use the bridge for the VMs:

KVM
===
yum install kvm virt-manager qemu bridge-utils
#create bridge for virt-machine
cat > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 << _END_
DEVICE=br0
TYPE=Bridge
IPADDR=192.168.48.X
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.48.1
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
DELAY=0
NOZEROCONF=true
NM_CONTROLLED=no
_END_

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx :
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=br0
NM_CONTROLLED=no

service network restart

Old 08-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Bill Campbell

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012, Theo Band wrote:
>On 08/16/2012 06:36 PM, Bill Campbell wrote:
>> + Set up network bridging on the private LAN so that the Windows system
>> is accessible via OpenVPN connections from the outside world and by
>> users on the LAN to run a client/server accounting application.
>>> I have done KVM VLANs but I am not sure if it can be done from the
>>> virt-manager. Experiment and see how far you can go.
>> I will be digging into this later today. So far I've found the
>> file /var/lib/libvirt/network/default.xml and see a vibr0
>> interface defined.
>>
>> The documentation I found yesterday described setting up briding,
>> but hopefully virt-manager has a nicer way to do it.

>This I find the most difficult part. I have done it a couple of time and
>made myself a HOWTO. You need to fill in some IP figures of course. I
>assume a fixed IP address, but DHCP should work as well. The setup
>creates a bridge and adds and existing interface (ifcfg-ethx) to that
>bridge. After that you can use the bridge for the VMs:

I got things installed yesterday, adding a routed network section
using virt-manager linked to the private interface, eth1. I left
the default NAT interface as-is.

After rebooting the machine, two bridge devices, virbr0 and
virbr1 appear in 'ifconfig' output with the appropriate IP
addresses (192.168.122.1 and 192.168.100.1 respectively).

The 'route -n' command shows reasonable routes for the VMs.

I am thoroughly confused by the documentation I've found so far,
much of which seems to be out of date.

When the Windows VM is active with the network virbr1 defined
with virt-manager and all other things default, a 'vmnet0' device
appears in 'ifconfig' output. I can ping the IPs on the private
lan (192.168.101.0/24 in this case), but cannot get to the
outside world, nor can hosts on the LAN ping the VM's assigned IP
address 192.168.100.114.

If I shut down the VM, manually run 'brctl addif virbr1 eth1', then start
the VM things change:

+ The IP address assigned to the VM is in the 192.168.101.0/24 block
instead of 192.168.100.0/24 defined in virt-manager.

+ I can ping the outside world from the VM.

+ I can ping other hosts in 192.168.101.0/24, but *NOT* the Linux boxes
IP address.

+ I cannot ping anything in 192.168.101.0/24 from the command line on
the Linux host (logged in with ssh on the public interface).

+ The command 'brctl show' displays vmnet0 and eth1 vir virbr1.

I'm more than a bit confused at this point.

My main goal is to get LAN and OpenVPN access to the Windows VM.
I really don't care about Internet access from the Windows VM,
although Microsoft really wants it to get updates and such.

>KVM
>===
>yum install kvm virt-manager qemu bridge-utils
>#create bridge for virt-machine
>cat > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 << _END_
>DEVICE=br0
>TYPE=Bridge
>IPADDR=192.168.48.X
>NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>GATEWAY=192.168.48.1
>BOOTPROTO=none
>ONBOOT=yes
>DELAY=0
>NOZEROCONF=true
>NM_CONTROLLED=no
>_END_
>
>Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx :
>ONBOOT=yes
>BRIDGE=br0
>NM_CONTROLLED=no
>
>service network restart

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Lord, the money we do spend on Government and it's not one bit better
than the government we got for one third the money twenty years ago.
Will Rogers

Old 08-18-2012, 11:43 AM
skull

Am 18.08.2012 00:06, schrieb Bill Campbell:
> [...]
>
> My main goal is to get LAN and OpenVPN access to the Windows VM.
> I really don't care about Internet access from the Windows VM,
> although Microsoft really wants it to get updates and such.
>
>> KVM
>> ===
>> yum install kvm virt-manager qemu bridge-utils
>> #create bridge for virt-machine
>> cat > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 << _END_
>> DEVICE=br0
>> TYPE=Bridge
>> IPADDR=192.168.48.X
>> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>> GATEWAY=192.168.48.1
>> BOOTPROTO=none
>> ONBOOT=yes
>> DELAY=0
>> NOZEROCONF=true
>> NM_CONTROLLED=no
>> _END_
>>
>> Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx :

I am not sure about your issue, but here is how i make my bridges:
http://www.darktemple.ch/wiki/doku.php?id=linux:kvm#network_bridging

I hope that helps.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

On 08/16/2012 12:34 AM, Bill Campbell wrote:
> Can somebody point me to a HowTO or other documentation describing the
> tools available under the CentOS 5 KVM package to create and manage a
> Windows 7 Pro VM? All my VM experience to date has been the old free
> VMware Server.

Just for information, there is a "centos-virt" ML.

My VM configuration dumps are here:
https://code.google.com/p/rktmb-samples/source/browse/trunk/xml-vmconfig
you'll find some comparison point to what you get.
My VMs are all routed+NATed (for those). I dont have bridged Windows.

This is my sample invocation when installing a Windows:

sudo virt-install --connect qemu:///system --name win-7-01
--ram 1024 --keymap=fr
--cdrom=/media/500G/ISO/Windows7Ultimate64bit.iso
--os-type=windows
--os-variant=win7 --network=network:default --vnc --accelerate
--force --disk path=/mnt/big/mihamina/Virtual/win-7-01,size=20

--
RMA.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Theo Band

On 08/18/2012 12:06 AM, Bill Campbell wrote:
> I got things installed yesterday, adding a routed network section
> using virt-manager linked to the private interface, eth1. I left
> the default NAT interface as-is.
>
> After rebooting the machine, two bridge devices, virbr0 and
> virbr1 appear in 'ifconfig' output with the appropriate IP
> addresses (192.168.122.1 and 192.168.100.1 respectively).
>
> The 'route -n' command shows reasonable routes for the VMs.
>
> I am thoroughly confused by the documentation I've found so far,
> much of which seems to be out of date.
>
> When the Windows VM is active with the network virbr1 defined
> with virt-manager and all other things default, a 'vmnet0' device
> appears in 'ifconfig' output. I can ping the IPs on the private
> lan (192.168.101.0/24 in this case), but cannot get to the
> outside world, nor can hosts on the LAN ping the VM's assigned IP
> address 192.168.100.114.
>
> If I shut down the VM, manually run 'brctl addif virbr1 eth1', then start
> the VM things change:
>
> + The IP address assigned to the VM is in the 192.168.101.0/24 block
> instead of 192.168.100.0/24 defined in virt-manager.
>
> + I can ping the outside world from the VM.
>
> + I can ping other hosts in 192.168.101.0/24, but*NOT* the Linux boxes
> IP address.
>
> + I cannot ping anything in 192.168.101.0/24 from the command line on
> the Linux host (logged in with ssh on the public interface).
>
> + The command 'brctl show' displays vmnet0 and eth1 vir virbr1.
>
> I'm more than a bit confused at this point.
>
> My main goal is to get LAN and OpenVPN access to the Windows VM.
> I really don't care about Internet access from the Windows VM,
> although Microsoft really wants it to get updates and such.
Do you have iptables enabled? If so add a rule for the bridge as well.