Old 08-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Jon Detert

Default how best to rollback from a yum update?

Suppose I want to upgrade a bunch of packages on a system, but in case the upgrade produces unexpected, undesired results, I want to be able to rollback the system to its original state. What is the best way to do that?

Often, I won't have, or be able to find, packages for the current installed versions. I.e. If I haven't upgraded postgres for 2 years, it may be that I can no longer find a package for the version I am currently running.

The 'rollback' feature of rpm and yum [1] looks promising, but I have a few concerns with it:

a) why isn't the --rolback switch described in either the man page for rpm or the output from --help? This makes me think the --rollback switch is deprecated or otherwise unofficial.

b) how can I trim/purge the 'repackaged' rpms that by default go in /var/spool/repackage [2]? I don't want to just leave them there forever, but if I trim/purge/delete them, how will the rpm database be updated to know that it can no longer rollback to the date that they were installed?

AtDhVaAnNkCsE

[1] http://www.freedomit.co.nz/kb-centos/enabling-yum/rpm-rollback
[2] http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7034?page=0,1
--
Jon Detert
Sr. Systems Administrator

Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Nux!

On 15.08.2012 17:23, Jon Detert wrote:
> Suppose I want to upgrade a bunch of packages on a system, but in
> case the upgrade produces unexpected, undesired results, I want to be
> able to rollback the system to its original state. What is the best
> way to do that?

I would use yum-plugin-fs-snapshot (or just take an lvm snapshot
manually).

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Yves Bellefeuille

On Wednesday 15 August 2012, Jon Detert <jdetert@infinityhealthcare.com>
wrote:

> Suppose I want to upgrade a bunch of packages on a system, but in
> case the upgrade produces unexpected, undesired results, I want to
> be able to rollback the system to its original state. What is the
> best way to do that?

yum history list, then yum history undo

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"Simply put, E=mc^2 is liberal claptrap." -- Conservapedia.com