-   -   slowness with new kernel+nouveau? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/694187-slowness-new-kernel-nouveau.html)

Darod Zyree 08-15-2012 10:53 AM

slowness with new kernel+nouveau?

Hello,

New kernel version 2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64 in combination with
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau Version:0.0.16 is somehow painfully slow on my
laptop.

during start up it takes almost half a minute for gnome login to appear.
After having logged in the following happens:
- gnome top and bottom panels "slide/crawl" in to view one pixel line at
a time.
- starting the terminal takes much more time, 10-15, sometimes even up
to 20 seconds.
- Firefox also takes much longer to start.

Removing xorg-x11-drv-nouveau seems to resolve this "slowness" but then
my attached monitor does not work.

Anyone else experiencing this issue or know how to fix/troubleshoot?

Darod Zyree

Mark LaPierre 08-15-2012 11:39 PM

On 08/15/2012 06:53 AM, Darod Zyree wrote:
> Hello,
>
> New kernel version 2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64 in combination with
> xorg-x11-drv-nouveau Version:0.0.16 is somehow painfully slow on my
> laptop.
>
> during start up it takes almost half a minute for gnome login to appear.
> After having logged in the following happens:
> - gnome top and bottom panels "slide/crawl" in to view one pixel line at
> a time.
> - starting the terminal takes much more time, 10-15, sometimes even up
> to 20 seconds.
> - Firefox also takes much longer to start.
>
> Removing xorg-x11-drv-nouveau seems to resolve this "slowness" but then
> my attached monitor does not work.
>
> Anyone else experiencing this issue or know how to fix/troubleshoot?

Have you tried installing the Nvidia drivers from the CentOS repo?

--
_
/(_)

Darod Zyree 08-16-2012 07:43 AM

On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 19:39 -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 08/15/2012 06:53 AM, Darod Zyree wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > New kernel version 2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64 in combination with
> > xorg-x11-drv-nouveau Version:0.0.16 is somehow painfully slow on my
> > laptop.
> >
> > during start up it takes almost half a minute for gnome login to appear.
> > After having logged in the following happens:
> > - gnome top and bottom panels "slide/crawl" in to view one pixel line at
> > a time.
> > - starting the terminal takes much more time, 10-15, sometimes even up
> > to 20 seconds.
> > - Firefox also takes much longer to start.
> >
> > Removing xorg-x11-drv-nouveau seems to resolve this "slowness" but then
> > my attached monitor does not work.
> >
> > Anyone else experiencing this issue or know how to fix/troubleshoot?
> >

> Have you tried installing the Nvidia drivers from the CentOS repo?

Thanks, this worked for me.
Uninstalled nouveau and installed kmod-nvidia.

Darod Zyree

Johnny Hughes 08-16-2012 01:10 PM

On 08/16/2012 02:43 AM, Darod Zyree wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 19:39 -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> On 08/15/2012 06:53 AM, Darod Zyree wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> New kernel version 2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64 in combination with
>>> xorg-x11-drv-nouveau Version:0.0.16 is somehow painfully slow on my
>>> laptop.
>>>
>>> during start up it takes almost half a minute for gnome login to appear.
>>> After having logged in the following happens:
>>> - gnome top and bottom panels "slide/crawl" in to view one pixel line at
>>> a time.
>>> - starting the terminal takes much more time, 10-15, sometimes even up
>>> to 20 seconds.
>>> - Firefox also takes much longer to start.
>>>
>>> Removing xorg-x11-drv-nouveau seems to resolve this "slowness" but then
>>> my attached monitor does not work.
>>>
>>> Anyone else experiencing this issue or know how to fix/troubleshoot?
>>>
>> Have you tried installing the Nvidia drivers from the CentOS repo?
>>
> Thanks, this worked for me.
> Uninstalled nouveau and installed kmod-nvidia.

Those drivers are from elrepo, not CentOS :-D

But I use them all the time and highly recommend them.

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia

08-16-2012 01:45 PM

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 08/16/2012 02:43 AM, Darod Zyree wrote:

>>> Have you tried installing the Nvidia drivers from the CentOS repo?
>>>
>> Thanks, this worked for me.
>> Uninstalled nouveau and installed kmod-nvidia.
>
> Those drivers are from elrepo, not CentOS :-D
>
> But I use them all the time and highly recommend them.
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia

I concur. The only thing I get from elrepo is kmod-nvidia; on install, it
creates a blacklist for nouveau, so it won't be automatically loaded. It
also rebuilds by itself when you update the kernel, instead of having to
manually rebuild the drivers from the proprietary installer.

I hear rumors that kmod-nvidia will be coming in RHEL soon, and so here to
CentOS.

mark

"Sorin Srbu" 08-16-2012 01:57 PM

slowness with new kernel+nouveau?

Any source for the rumors?

It'd be great though!

--
/Sorin

08-16-2012 02:13 PM

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]

It's in fc17.

mark

"Sorin Srbu" 08-16-2012 02:34 PM

slowness with new kernel+nouveau?

Ah, thanks!

--
/Sorin

08-16-2012 04:24 PM

slowness with new kernel+nouveau?

> >> I hear rumors that kmod-nvidia will be coming in RHEL soon, and so here
> >> to CentOS.
> >
> > Any source for the rumors?
> >
> > It'd be great though!
>
> It's in fc17.

It's only in there as part of rpmfusion, correct? (Which isn't an official Fedora repo).
I think Leigh Scott is the maintainer,
he used to be anyway.

Marko Vojinovic 08-16-2012 04:27 PM

On Thursday, 16. August 2012. 16.34.01 Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]

No it isn't. As long as nVidia drivers are closed source and proprietary, they
will never be in Fedora. I wouldn't know about RHEL, though, they might decide
whatever they want to do. However, some main Nouveau developers are employed
by RH, so I wouldn't bet on RHEL importing nVidia drivers.

HTH, :-)
Marko