Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Dan Carl

Default server fails to boot GRUB and flashing cursor

I have a power edge with raid5 that contains Centos 5.4.
I had a drive failure, anyway the array is optimal now but the server
won't boot.
I can boot from a Centos 5.3 liveCD and all the data is still there.

There is no grub.conf just shows a broken link.
Is fixing this as simple as gub-install |--root-directory=/mnt/disc/sda3
/dev/sda|

Before screwing things up I am seeking your all's advice.
Thanks in advance
Dan

# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 72.7 GB, 72729231360 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 8842 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14 658 5180962+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3 659 8842 65737980 83 Linux

--
Dan Carl
651-766-2800 x218

Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Dan Carl wrote:
> I have a power edge with raid5 that contains Centos 5.4.
> I had a drive failure, anyway the array is optimal now but the server
> won't boot.
> I can boot from a Centos 5.3 liveCD and all the data is still there.
>
> There is no grub.conf just shows a broken link.
> Is fixing this as simple as gub-install |--root-directory=/mnt/disc/sda3
> /dev/sda|
>
> Before screwing things up I am seeking your all's advice.
> Thanks in advance
> Dan
>
> # fdisk -l /dev/sda
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 72.7 GB, 72729231360 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 8842 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
> /dev/sda2 14 658 5180962+ 82 Linux swap /
> Solaris
> /dev/sda3 659 8842 65737980 83 Linux

You said this had RAID5: what's the o/p of cat /proc/mdstat?

mark

Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Dan Carl

> Dan Carl wrote:
>> I have a power edge with raid5 that contains Centos 5.4.
>> I had a drive failure, anyway the array is optimal now but the server
>> won't boot.
>> I can boot from a Centos 5.3 liveCD and all the data is still there.
>>
>> There is no grub.conf just shows a broken link.
>> Is fixing this as simple as gub-install |--root-directory=/mnt/disc/sda3
>> /dev/sda|
>>
>> Before screwing things up I am seeking your all's advice.
>> Thanks in advance
>> Dan
>>
>> # fdisk -l /dev/sda
>>
>> Disk /dev/sda: 72.7 GB, 72729231360 bytes
>> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 8842 cylinders
>> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>>
>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>> /dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
>> /dev/sda2 14 658 5180962+ 82 Linux swap /
>> Solaris
>> /dev/sda3 659 8842 65737980 83 Linux
>>
> You said this had RAID5: what's the o/p of cat /proc/mdstat?
Its a hardware raid5 perc.
I cannot mount the boot partition sda1.
sda3 mounts fine this is where the OS is.
What to do?
Dan

> mark

Dan Carl
651-766-2800 x218
651-491-9712 Mobile

Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Dan Carl <danc@bluestarshows.com> wrote:

>>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>>> /dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
>>> /dev/sda2 14 658 5180962+ 82 Linux swap /
>>> Solaris
>>> /dev/sda3 659 8842 65737980 83 Linux
>>>
>> You said this had RAID5: what's the o/p of cat /proc/mdstat?
> Its a hardware raid5 perc.
> I cannot mount the boot partition sda1.
> sda3 mounts fine this is where the OS is.
> What to do?

What kind of error do you get when you try to mount sda1? Is it
something fsck will fix? You need to load the kernel and initrd from
there.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Dan Carl

On 8/13/2012 4:07 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> You said this had RAID5: what's the o/p of cat /proc/mdstat?
>> Its a hardware raid5 perc.
>> I cannot mount the boot partition sda1.
>> sda3 mounts fine this is where the OS is.
>> What to do?
> What kind of error do you get when you try to mount sda1? Is it
> something fsck will fix? You need to load the kernel and initrd from
> there.

#mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/myboot
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
missing codepage or other error
dmesg | tail or so

I have nothing in my boot directory. Will I have to reload the kernel
and grub?

ran fsck got
Superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>?

Should I select Y?
Thanks
Dan

--
Dan Carl
651-766-2800 x218

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Dan Carl <danc@bluestarshows.com> wrote:

> #mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/myboot
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
> missing codepage or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so
>
> I have nothing in my boot directory. Will I have to reload the kernel
> and grub?

/boot should have been a mount point, so it will be empty if you can't
mount the partition.

> ran fsck got
> Superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode 8).
> Clear<y>?
>
> Should I select Y?

I don't think I've ever recovered from something that complained about
superblock problems, so you probably shouldn't take my advice. But
I'd answer yes, assuming that fsck knows more about disk structure
than I do. Then if it doesn't recover, you'll need to reformat that
partition and replace its contents. If you have backups you could
restore from there - or copy the /boot contents from some similar
system. You need to have the right disk driver module in your initrd,
though, so if you don't have a system that matches, you'll need to
rebuild the initrd from your rescue boot CD.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Theo Band

On 08/13/2012 11:17 PM, Dan Carl wrote:

>>> Its a hardware raid5 perc.
>>> I cannot mount the boot partition sda1.
>>> sda3 mounts fine this is where the OS is.
>>> What to do?
>> What kind of error do you get when you try to mount sda1? Is it
>> something fsck will fix? You need to load the kernel and initrd from
>> there.
>>
> #mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/myboot
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
> missing codepage or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so
>
> I have nothing in my boot directory. Will I have to reload the kernel
> and grub?
>
> ran fsck got
> Superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode 8).
> Clear<y>?
>
> Should I select Y?
> Thanks
> Dan

Try to fix, but it will probably not work. It's a bit strange as this
partition is on a raid, so it should be protected by a failing disk just
as the other partitions have survived.
I would boot from a CentosOS rescue CD. It will find your OS and mount
it. Then make a new ext3 fs on /dev/sda1 and mount it under /boot (that
is after the chroot /mnt/sysimage). Copy back the files from a backup if
you have that. If not, a re-install of the kernel (again after chroot)
will place the boot files under /boot/. Then issue a grub-install. It
will copy the needed grub images under /boot/grub and re-create a
grub.conf and a boot loader on /dev/sda etc.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Theo Band wrote:
> On 08/13/2012 11:17 PM, Dan Carl wrote:
>> On 8/13/2012 4:07 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

<snip>
I must be more awake now. Should I assume that you've rebooted, and gone
into the PERC setup, and examined the drives? I know that on boxed I've
got with PERC controllers, if I want to offer a partition from a single,
non-RAIDed drive, I have to create a logical drive as though it would be
RAIDed. Is it possible that /boot is *not* RAIDed?

mark