-   -   Missing dependency in C6 ISO (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/692973-missing-dependency-c6-iso.html)

Rajagopal Swaminathan 08-11-2012 04:10 PM

Missing dependency in C6 ISO

Greetings,

I had downloaded c6 64 bits ISO, selected all packages to be installed.

One dependency warning relating to Emacs appeared. I chose to
continue. Unfortunately I was multitasking and did not note down the
package name

Twice this issue appeared -- first time around aborted install due to power cut.

Did anybody else face this situation?

Also is there a better way with just DVDs and not LAN to select all
package install. (no Kickstart, NFS server etc.) I have the ISO images
though.

/ducks
I know no sysadmin installs everything on a centos box... But then it
is just a single desktop to get legroom in a M$ shop / Home
//ducks

Rajagopal

ashkab rahmani 08-11-2012 04:13 PM

Missing dependency in C6 ISO

installing all packages is very bad idea. many of them may conflict in
installation process or after it.

———
Ashkan R

Rajagopal Swaminathan 08-11-2012 04:19 PM

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM, ashkab rahmani <ashkan82r@gmail.com> wrote:
> installing all packages is very bad idea. many of them may conflict in
> installation process or after it.

Completely agree.

>> /ducks
>> I know no sysadmin installs everything on a centos box... But then it
>> is just a single desktop to get legroom in a M$ shop / Home
>> //ducks

But the in multitude of Centos 5 (all-) installs I have done since
2007, I never had any such issues.

Rajagopal

Leonard den Ottolander 08-11-2012 05:08 PM

Missing dependency in C6 ISO

Hello Ashkab,

Be so kind not to top post and trim your replies.

On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 20:43 +0430, ashkab rahmani wrote:
> installing all packages is very bad idea. many of them may conflict in
> installation process or after it.

The distribution is build by upstream so packages within a release do
not conflict with one another. An installation including every single
packages should not be a problem.

If the original poster is seeing dependency issues with the ISO install
he should probably take a note of what package it is that is missing
from that particular ISO so the CentOS team can look into it and correct
the spin if needed.

Regards,
Leonard.

Karanbir Singh 08-11-2012 06:34 PM

Missing dependency in C6 ISO

hi,

firstly, you haven't pointed out what the problem was.

On 08/11/2012 05:19 PM, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>> installing all packages is very bad idea. many of them may conflict in
>> installation process or after it.
> Completely agree.

I can also confirm that its impossible to install everything on
CentOS-6. That is by design, there are functional overlaps that are
enforced at the rpm level that prevent you from doing so.

> But the in multitude of Centos 5 (all-) installs I have done since
> 2007, I never had any such issues.

CentOS-5 isnt CentOS-6.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

fred smith 08-11-2012 06:40 PM

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 07:34:15PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> firstly, you haven't pointed out what the problem was.
>
> On 08/11/2012 05:19 PM, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> >> installing all packages is very bad idea. many of them may conflict in
> >> installation process or after it.
> > Completely agree.
>
> I can also confirm that its impossible to install everything on
> CentOS-6. That is by design, there are functional overlaps that are
> enforced at the rpm level that prevent you from doing so.
>
> > But the in multitude of Centos 5 (all-) installs I have done since
> > 2007, I never had any such issues.

KB: I assume this was done for some useful purpose, not simply to
make sure nobody can install everything if they want to...

back in the RH5/6 days (not RHEL) I used to commonly choose an
"everything" installation. now that the distribution is so big
I don't even try, anymore.

The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
----------------------------- Proverbs 15:3 (niv) -----------------------------

Karanbir Singh 08-11-2012 06:49 PM

On 08/11/2012 07:40 PM, fred smith wrote:
>> I can also confirm that its impossible to install everything on
>> CentOS-6. That is by design, there are functional overlaps that are
>> enforced at the rpm level that prevent you from doing so.
> KB: I assume this was done for some useful purpose, not simply to
> make sure nobody can install everything if they want to...

Right, its based on duplicate functionality. in some cases ( like
sendmail + postfix ) you can indeed install both. But in others, you cant.

> back in the RH5/6 days (not RHEL) I used to commonly choose an
> "everything" installation. now that the distribution is so big
> I don't even try, anymore.

yeah, and the idea of 'everything' is a bit odd given that you can now
include external repos - so you might get an everything install that
brings in 12,000 rpms - runs for 3 days to get done - and needs 50GB of
disk space :)..

Rajagopal Swaminathan 08-12-2012 12:30 AM

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 08/11/2012 07:40 PM, fred smith wrote:
>>> I can also confirm that its impossible to install everything on
>>> CentOS-6. That is by design, there are functional overlaps that are
>>> enforced at the rpm level that prevent you from doing so.
>> KB: I assume this was done for some useful purpose, not simply to
>> make sure nobody can install everything if they want to...
>
> Right, its based on duplicate functionality. in some cases ( like
> sendmail + postfix ) you can indeed install both. But in others, you cant.
>
>> back in the RH5/6 days (not RHEL) I used to commonly choose an
>> "everything" installation. now that the distribution is so big
>> I don't even try, anymore.
>
> yeah, and the idea of 'everything' is a bit odd given that you can now
> include external repos - so you might get an everything install that
> brings in 12,000 rpms - runs for 3 days to get done - and needs 50GB of
> disk space :)..

Thanks KB, for the explanation.

I will be more careful this time around.

The missing dependency I was talking about was about :

/quote
** Found 1 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), 'yum check' output follows:
1:emacs-23.1-21.el6_2.3.x86_64 has missing requires of libotf.so.0()(64bit)
/unquote

I got this error when trying to install scribus

Rajagopal

Johnny Hughes 08-12-2012 03:58 AM

On 08/11/2012 07:30 PM, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,

>>> KB: I assume this was done for some useful purpose, not simply to
>>> make sure nobody can install everything if they want to...
>> Right, its based on duplicate functionality. in some cases ( like
>> sendmail + postfix ) you can indeed install both. But in others, you cant.
>>
>>> back in the RH5/6 days (not RHEL) I used to commonly choose an
>>> "everything" installation. now that the distribution is so big
>>> I don't even try, anymore.
>> yeah, and the idea of 'everything' is a bit odd given that you can now
>> include external repos - so you might get an everything install that
>> brings in 12,000 rpms - runs for 3 days to get done - and needs 50GB of
>> disk space :)..
>>
> Thanks KB, for the explanation.
>
> I will be more careful this time around.
>
> The missing dependency I was talking about was about :
>
> /quote
> ** Found 1 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), 'yum check' output follows:
> 1:emacs-23.1-21.el6_2.3.x86_64 has missing requires of libotf.so.0()(64bit)
> /unquote
>
> I got this error when trying to install scribus

The actual problem is that there are 3 things that provide libotf.so.0
and one of them is openmpi-psm. There is a newer version of openmpi
that obsoletes that rpm and yum can handle it, but anaconda can not
handle that obsolete. Because of that, it breaks the installation.

This issue should be taken care of on the 6.4 ISOs.

So, if you do not install openmpi items, you should be OK.

Rajagopal Swaminathan 08-12-2012 09:38 AM

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
> On 08/1
> The actual problem is that there are 3 things that provide libotf.so.0
> and one of them is openmpi-psm. There is a newer version of openmpi
> that obsoletes that rpm and yum can handle it, but anaconda can not
> handle that obsolete. Because of that, it breaks the installation.
>
> This issue should be taken care of on the 6.4 ISOs.
>
> So, if you do not install openmpi items, you should be OK.

Thanks Johnny for the information.

I guess I don't need MPI as these systems mostly are the one or two in
network Mostly so/ho/home and mostly are desktop class boxes -- no
ipmi and the sort.

I will remember that.

I do install clustering (without any fencing device or manual fencing
of course) and virtualization as frequently I have to give training /
demo / POC / Gentle intro to HA, virtualization and the such.

Rajagopal