FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-09-2012, 09:30 PM
 
Default Strange issue with system time being off

Russell Jones wrote:
>>
>> Here's a question: run hwclock, then, when you reboot, go into the BIOS,
>> and see what the time is.
>>
>
> Thanks Mark. "hwclock" showed the right time before reboot. After
> reboot, entering BIOS it still showed the correct local time. After
> the server came up, "date" is slow by 5 hours.

Hmmm... and the BIOS doesn't have something that says use GMT? If not,
sounds like there's a configuration file *somewhere* that's saying use
GMT.

I'm out of here for the day. See if something comes to mind tonight....

mark
>
>
> [root@nod705 ~]# date
> Thu Aug 9 11:26:12 CDT 2012
>
> [root@nod705 ~]# hwclock
> Thu 09 Aug 2012 04:26:15 PM CDT -0.002574 seconds
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Russell Jones
 
Default Strange issue with system time being off

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Russell Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a question: run hwclock, then, when you reboot, go into the BIOS,
>>> and see what the time is.
>>>
>>
>> Thanks Mark. "hwclock" showed the right time before reboot. After
>> reboot, entering BIOS it still showed the correct local time. After
>> the server came up, "date" is slow by 5 hours.
>
> Hmmm... and the BIOS doesn't have something that says use GMT? If not,
> sounds like there's a configuration file *somewhere* that's saying use
> GMT.
>
> I'm out of here for the day. See if something comes to mind tonight....
>
> mark
>>


Nope, no timezone configuration options at all. Like I said, very
strange. Usually time just "works" on a box.

Thanks for the help
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Scott Silva
 
Default Strange issue with system time being off

on 8/9/2012 12:33 PM Russell Jones spake the following:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having an issue with some older CentOS 5.3 servers. Every time
> the server boots, it gives the error "Cannot access the hardware clock
> by any known method", and then promptly sets the time 5 hours behind
> the hardware clock, down to the second.
>
> After the system is up. "hwclock" works fine. hwclock --debug does not
> show any error at all.
>
> The hardware clock is configured in local time. /etc/sysconfig/clock
> is set to UTC=false and ZONE="America/Chicago". /etc/localtime is a
> copy of Chicago's zone file. /etc/adjtime is configured with "LOCAL"
> as the third row. I am at a loss as to what is causing this.
>
> Any assistance is appreciated! Thanks!
>
Since you say "servers" do you have one that you can bring more current then
5.3 to see if there was a kernel patch or something that fixed this? Between
5.3 and Current (5.8) anything could have happened.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Ron Loftin
 
Default Strange issue with system time being off

On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 15:35 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 8/9/2012 12:33 PM Russell Jones spake the following:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am having an issue with some older CentOS 5.3 servers. Every time
> > the server boots, it gives the error "Cannot access the hardware clock
> > by any known method", and then promptly sets the time 5 hours behind
> > the hardware clock, down to the second.
> >
> > After the system is up. "hwclock" works fine. hwclock --debug does not
> > show any error at all.
> >
> > The hardware clock is configured in local time. /etc/sysconfig/clock
> > is set to UTC=false and ZONE="America/Chicago". /etc/localtime is a
> > copy of Chicago's zone file. /etc/adjtime is configured with "LOCAL"
> > as the third row. I am at a loss as to what is causing this.
> >
> > Any assistance is appreciated! Thanks!
> >
> Since you say "servers" do you have one that you can bring more current then
> 5.3 to see if there was a kernel patch or something that fixed this? Between
> 5.3 and Current (5.8) anything could have happened.
>

What is in /etc/sysconfig/clock ?

cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
ZONE="America/New_York"
UTC=false
ARC=false


--
Ron Loftin reloftin@twcny.rr.com

"God, root, what is difference ?" Piter from UserFriendly

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Craig White
 
Default Strange issue with system time being off

On Aug 9, 2012, at 2:26 PM, Russell Jones wrote:

>>
>> Here's a question: run hwclock, then, when you reboot, go into the BIOS,
>> and see what the time is.
>>
>> mark
>
>
>
> Thanks Mark. "hwclock" showed the right time before reboot. After
> reboot, entering BIOS it still showed the correct local time. After
> the server came up, "date" is slow by 5 hours.
>
>
> [root@nod705 ~]# date
> Thu Aug 9 11:26:12 CDT 2012
>
> [root@nod705 ~]# hwclock
> Thu 09 Aug 2012 04:26:15 PM CDT -0.002574 seconds
----
something is changing your software clock.

You might want to reconfigure time...

yum install system-config-date
system-config-date

you might want to check for funny entries in /etc/ntp.conf (is it running?)
chkconfig --list ntpd
ps aux|grep ntp

cat /etc/ntp/steptickers
cat /etc/ntp.conf

Craig

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Robert Nichols
 
Default Strange issue with system time being off

On 08/09/2012 02:33 PM, Russell Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having an issue with some older CentOS 5.3 servers. Every time
> the server boots, it gives the error "Cannot access the hardware clock
> by any known method", and then promptly sets the time 5 hours behind
> the hardware clock, down to the second.
>
> After the system is up. "hwclock" works fine. hwclock --debug does not
> show any error at all.

Apparently something is amiss in the initramfs preventing access to the
rtc, and once the real root filesystem is mounted, rtc access works. I'm
not sure where to look or how an error might have crept in, but when I
unpack my initramfs on a couple of systems (it's a compressed cpio
archive) and grep for "rtc", I find:

./etc/modprobe.d/dist.conf:alias char-major-10-135 rtc
./etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules:SUBSYSTEM=="rtc",
DRIVERS=="rtc_cmos", SYMLINK+="rtc"


--
Bob Nichols "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
Do NOT delete it.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Woodchuck
 
Default Strange issue with system time being off

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 04:40:19PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
> On Aug 9, 2012, at 2:26 PM, Russell Jones wrote:
>
> >>
> >> Here's a question: run hwclock, then, when you reboot, go into the BIOS,
> >> and see what the time is.
> >>
> >> mark
> >
> >
> >
> > Thanks Mark. "hwclock" showed the right time before reboot. After
> > reboot, entering BIOS it still showed the correct local time. After
> > the server came up, "date" is slow by 5 hours.

Let's back up a bit. I bet Mr Jones, the OP, is in the US central
time zone, which right now is 5 hours earlier than UTC. I'm betting
the hardware clock is set to UTC, but that Centos believes that the
hw clock is set to local time, i.e. CST6CDT. (That is how it would
be set for Windoze.) There is some pitiful setting to correct the
Windoze problem, and it is being applied. It shouldn't be.

Reboot, set bios clock to UTC. Then track down wherever Centos
gets the idea that you have a dual boot windows machine whose clock
is set to local time, and whack that.

I'm reasonably confident that this is the problem. The "exactly
five hours off" is what clued me.

I think some others up-thread have been hinting about this, at least
indirectly.

Dave
--
The principles of accounting are not arbitrary. They are natural law.
-- Mencius Moldbug

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Russell Jones
 
Default Strange issue with system time being off

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Woodchuck <marmot@pennswoods.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 04:40:19PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 9, 2012, at 2:26 PM, Russell Jones wrote:
>>
>> >>
>> >> Here's a question: run hwclock, then, when you reboot, go into the BIOS,
>> >> and see what the time is.
>> >>
>> >> mark
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Thanks Mark. "hwclock" showed the right time before reboot. After
>> > reboot, entering BIOS it still showed the correct local time. After
>> > the server came up, "date" is slow by 5 hours.
>
> Let's back up a bit. I bet Mr Jones, the OP, is in the US central
> time zone, which right now is 5 hours earlier than UTC. I'm betting
> the hardware clock is set to UTC, but that Centos believes that the
> hw clock is set to local time, i.e. CST6CDT. (That is how it would
> be set for Windoze.) There is some pitiful setting to correct the
> Windoze problem, and it is being applied. It shouldn't be.
>
> Reboot, set bios clock to UTC. Then track down wherever Centos
> gets the idea that you have a dual boot windows machine whose clock
> is set to local time, and whack that.
>
> I'm reasonably confident that this is the problem. The "exactly
> five hours off" is what clued me.
>
> I think some others up-thread have been hinting about this, at least
> indirectly.
>
> Dave
> --
> The principles of accounting are not arbitrary. They are natural law.
> -- Mencius Moldbug
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



Hi Dave, Robert,

Thanks for the help!

Dave: There are no options for time zones in the BIOS clock. The time
is just "there" to be set. It is currently set to 7:08 PM, which is
the current Central Time.

Robert: Great idea! I am fairly certain that is a good direction to go
in. I will check this on Tuesday (next time I am in the office).
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Woodchuck
 
Default Strange issue with system time being off

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 07:11:02PM -0500, Russell Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Woodchuck <marmot@pennswoods.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Dave: There are no options for time zones in the BIOS clock. The time
> is just "there" to be set. It is currently set to 7:08 PM, which is
> the current Central Time.

Set it to UTC, see what happens. Unix likes UTC.

Dave
--
The principles of accounting are not arbitrary. They are natural law.
-- Mencius Moldbug

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Leonard den Ottolander
 
Default Strange issue with system time being off

Hello Mark,

On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 17:03 -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Russell Jones wrote:
> > Also in case it wasn't clear, I have ran "hwclock --systohc" after
> > "date" shows the correct time.
> >
> Please don't top post.

I do agree. However Mark, perhaps *you* could trim your post too.

Regards,
Leonard.

--
mount -t life -o ro /dev/dna /genetic/research


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org