Old 08-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Richard Reina

Default Strange device labeling in 6.3

I have just installed 6.3 on a machine that was previously running
5.8. Under 5.8 eth0 was eth0. Now with 6.3 /sbin/ifconfig gives me lo,
wlan0 and p4p1 (instead of eth0). I would like to make the ethernet a
static IP as I intend to for this to be machine used on my LAN only.
However, when I do /usr/sbin/setup -> Network Configuration the device
is not listed. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can
fix it. Or if not how I can set a static and persistent IP address for
the ethernet?

Thanks,

Richard

Old 08-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Scott Robbins

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 12:33:43PM -0500, Richard Reina wrote:
> I have just installed 6.3 on a machine that was previously running
> 5.8. Under 5.8 eth0 was eth0. Now with 6.3 /sbin/ifconfig gives me lo,
> wlan0 and p4p1 (instead of eth0). I would like to make the ethernet a
> static IP as I intend to for this to be machine used on my LAN only.
> However, when I do /usr/sbin/setup -> Network Configuration the device
> is not listed. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can
> fix it. Or if not how I can set a static and persistent IP address for
> the ethernet?

Well......

I tend to agree with the slashdot commentator who called it overcomplicated and unnecessary. It's another idea from
Fedora, the theory, IIRC, was that this way, devices would always have the same name, whereas under the
method that has been used device names could change on a reboot. (Haven't experienced that myself, but
dunno).

If you google Fedora biosdevname you'll come across various explanations. To change it back once the thing's been installed, I've always
done it by first rpm -e biosdevname, then editing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-whatever, changing the device
name in there to eth0, changing the name of the file, e.g, ifcfg-p4p1 to ifcfg-eth0 and
restarting. I haven't gotten it working by just restarting networking, but at any rate, if you
know you don't want it during installation, you can add biosdevname=0 to the command line.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Should I really trust you?
Adam: Scout's honor.
Spike: You were a Boy Scout?
Adam: Parts of me.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 PM

Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 12:33:43PM -0500, Richard Reina wrote:
>> I have just installed 6.3 on a machine that was previously running
>> 5.8. Under 5.8 eth0 was eth0. Now with 6.3 /sbin/ifconfig gives me lo,
>> wlan0 and p4p1 (instead of eth0). I would like to make the ethernet a
>> static IP as I intend to for this to be machine used on my LAN only.
>> However, when I do /usr/sbin/setup -> Network Configuration the device
>> is not listed. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can
>> fix it. Or if not how I can set a static and persistent IP address for
>> the ethernet?
>

> Well......
>
> I tend to agree with the slashdot commentator who called it
> overcomplicated and unnecessary. It's another idea from

Yup. The difference between that, and sticking the MAC address into a
simple, existing config file is, oh, that's right, it's k3wl.

> Fedora, the theory, IIRC, was that this way, devices would always have the
> same name, whereas under the method that has been used device names could
> change on a reboot. (Haven't experienced that myself, but dunno).

I have. Putting the MAC address into ifcfg-eth? fixes it.

<method elided>

EXCEPT that in 6.x, you really need to edit
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net.rules, too, or take the MAC out of
ifcfg-eth?, since it needs to be in 70-blahblah.

mark

Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Richard Reina

If it's as simple as sticking the MAC address into the ifcfg-eth file,
I can live with that. But only ifcfg script that exits in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ is ifcfg-lo

I have no idea what k3wl is.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Richard Reina wrote:
> If it's as simple as sticking the MAC address into the ifcfg-eth file,
> I can live with that. But only ifcfg script that exits in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ is ifcfg-lo
>
> I have no idea what k3wl is.

Script-kiddie speak. 3 == e. I was being sarcastic (about the fedora
developers).

> Thanks for the replies.

There should be *something*. Sounds like something's missing in the
network part of your install.

mark

Old 08-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Les Mikesell

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

>>> I have just installed 6.3 on a machine that was previously running
>>> 5.8. Under 5.8 eth0 was eth0. Now with 6.3 /sbin/ifconfig gives me lo,
>>> wlan0 and p4p1 (instead of eth0). I would like to make the ethernet a
>>> static IP as I intend to for this to be machine used on my LAN only.
>>> However, when I do /usr/sbin/setup -> Network Configuration the device
>>> is not listed. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can
>>> fix it. Or if not how I can set a static and persistent IP address for
>>> the ethernet?
>>
>> Well......
>>
>> I tend to agree with the slashdot commentator who called it
>> overcomplicated and unnecessary. It's another idea from
>
> Yup. The difference between that, and sticking the MAC address into a
> simple, existing config file is, oh, that's right, it's k3wl.

The difference _should_ be that you could ship a pre-installed disk to
a remote site where it meets up with an freshly shipped server chassis
and the on-site person racking it up can know which NIC to put which
cable in and have it come up working. But, I think that's only
possible with Dells.

>> Fedora, the theory, IIRC, was that this way, devices would always have the
>> same name, whereas under the method that has been used device names could
>> change on a reboot. (Haven't experienced that myself, but dunno).
>
> I have. Putting the MAC address into ifcfg-eth? fixes it.

That assumes that you know the MAC address at the time you'd like to
configure the image. That's rare for me. As are on-site people fluent
in linux.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Richard Reina

I installed off the live CD. I will try a 6.3 net install and see what changes.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Kahlil Hodgson

On 10/08/12 03:33, Richard Reina wrote:
> I have just installed 6.3 on a machine that was previously running
> 5.8. Under 5.8 eth0 was eth0. Now with 6.3 /sbin/ifconfig gives me lo,
> wlan0 and p4p1 (instead of eth0). I would like to make the ethernet a
> static IP as I intend to for this to be machine used on my LAN only.
> However, when I do /usr/sbin/setup -> Network Configuration the device
> is not listed. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can
> fix it. Or if not how I can set a static and persistent IP address for
> the ethernet?

try editing

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

change p4p1 to eth0 as the value for NAME

reboot

hope this helps

Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson GPG: C9A02289
Head of Technology (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382
DealMax Pty Ltd (w) +61 (0) 3 9008 5281

Suite 1415
401 Docklands Drive
Docklands VIC 3008 Australia

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore,
if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
means, do not use a hammer." -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925

Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Kahlil Hodgson

On 10/08/12 04:31, Scott Robbins wrote:
> I tend to agree with the slashdot commentator who called it overcomplicated and unnecessary. It's another idea from
> Fedora, the theory, IIRC, was that this way, devices would always have the same name, whereas under the
> method that has been used device names could change on a reboot. (Haven't experienced that myself, but
> dunno).

this has happened to me a couple of times
worst case:

eth0 = unused realtek onboard
eth1 = intel nic used for lan1
eth2 = intel nic used for lan2
eth3 = intel nic used for wan

realtek onboard nic dies during a server reboot

eth1 -> eth0 = unused
eth2 -> eth1 = lan1
eth3 -> eth2 = lan2

firewall rules now apply lan2 rules to the wan

with MAC address pinning, none of the interfaces come up because the
addresses do not match the names.

very lucky that was not off-site

Old 08-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Kahlil Hodgson

On 10/08/12 09:18, Reindl Harald wrote:
> and that is why i use /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to
> pin device-name / MAC and no mac-address in ifconfig-scripts since
> many years

+1

Alternatively, with the biosdevname, you can pin the interface name to
the pci(e) slot. That way its a trivial exercise to get 'remote hands'
to swap out a dead nic -- no need to fiddle with the mac address.