Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Jim Abercromby

Default Snort: Problems configuring for init/start upon bootup rc.conf not working

Ladies/Gents,
/etc/init.d/snortd
more snortd
#!/bin/sh
# chkconfig: 2345 40 60
#
# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
#
case "$1" in
#
'start')
echo "Starting up Snort..."
/prod/snort/bin/snort -c /prod/snort/etc/snort.conf -D -g snort -u snort -i
eth0 -l /var/log/snort
echo "Done."
;;
#
'stop')
echo "Stopping Snort..."
killproc snort
echo "Done."
;;
#
'restart')
$0 stop
$0 start
;;
#
status)
status snort
;;
#
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
exit 1
#
esac
exit 0

chkconfig
abrt-ccpp 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
abrt-oops 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
abrtd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
acpid 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
atd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
auditd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
cgconfig 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
cgred 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
cpuspeed 0ff 1n 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
crond 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
haldaemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
ip6tables 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
iptables 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
irqbalance 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
kdump 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
lvm2-monitor 0ff 1n 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
mdmonitor 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
messagebus 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
netconsole 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
netfs 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
netsaint_statd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
network 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
ntpd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
ntpdate 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
psacct 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
quota_nld 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
rdisc 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
restorecond 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
rhnsd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
rngd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
rsyslog 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
saslauthd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
smartd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
snmpd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
snmptrapd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
sshd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
sysstat 0ff 1n 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
udev-post 0ff 1n 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
#Yes - I am aware that it's not in this output, this is because we opted
out of snort chkconfig because I had read
posts that snort can not be configured to autostart in the conventional and
usual fashion on CentOS/RHEL,

Linux vsp-01.kewr5.s.vonagenetworks.net 2.6.32-220.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP
Thu Apr 26 13:37:13 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2 (Santiago)
Kernel
on an m

I have tried to implement snort startup on boot via rc.local as well (See
below).

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
/prod/snort/bin/snort -D -u snort -g snort -c /prod/snort/etc/snort.conf -i
eth0

This does not do the trick either so I am out of answers and this point and
defering to the community.