Old 08-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Rob Kampen

Default SSL Library Error: -8181 Certificate has expired

Hi List
Just had one of my servers fail serving web pages and apache produced a
log file of nearly 1,000,000 lines and 130Mb in about 18 hours with the
following:

"SSL Library Error: -8181 Certificate has expired
Unable to verify certificate 'Server-Cert'. Add "NSSEnforceValidCerts
off" to nss.conf so the server can start until the problem can be
resolved."

repeated any where from 4 to 20 times per second until I stopped the server.

Anyone know why this kind of thing occurs - surely logging this once is
enough??
If it is such a critical thing, then why no warning in the log files
that it is about to expire??

- all in all a bit of a surprise.

The suggested remedy does work and I will get a new certificate issued
and installed in due course.

Google does not show me anything that helps in regards to my questions.

Has anyone else seen and solved this in an elegant manner?
TIA
Rob

Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Rob,

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 15:46 +1200, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Add "NSSEnforceValidCerts
> off" to nss.conf so the server can start until the problem can be
> resolved."

There's your answer .

Regards,
Leonard.