Old 08-06-2012, 03:10 AM
Fajar Priyanto

Default SSH prompt: Need advise from Japan

Hi all,
I hope there is someone in Japan.
If we install Centos in Japanese, and then I ssh to it from an English
client. Will the SSH prompt be in Japanese?

How to make the SSH prompt in Japanese?

Thank you.
--
Fajar.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Scott Robbins

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 11:10:40AM +0800, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> I hope there is someone in Japan.
> If we install Centos in Japanese, and then I ssh to it from an English
> client. Will the SSH prompt be in Japanese?

My guess--it's a bit late to test it tonight---is that as long as your terminal can handle Japanese you should be alright.

That is, it's probably easiest to, while running X, use a terminal emulated, e.g., uxterm or urxvt (rxvt-unicode), and check the LC_CTYPE. Generally, something like
LC_CTYPE=en_US-UTF-8 will be able to read Japanes, but it will probably also depend upon the LC_CTYPE settings on the remote machine.

As English is my first language, I've never quite had to do it that way, but at times, have had to remotely read emails in mutt using Japanese.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: When did you become Martha Stewart?
Buffy: First of all, Martha Stewart knows jack about hand-cut
prosciutto.
Xander: I don't believe she slays, either.
Oz: Oh, I hear she can, but she doesn't like to.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Ross Cavanagh

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 11:10:40AM +0800, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I hope there is someone in Japan.
> > If we install Centos in Japanese, and then I ssh to it from an English
> > client. Will the SSH prompt be in Japanese?
>
> My guess--it's a bit late to test it tonight---is that as long as your
> terminal can handle Japanese you should be alright.
>
> That is, it's probably easiest to, while running X, use a terminal
> emulated, e.g., uxterm or urxvt (rxvt-unicode), and check the LC_CTYPE.
> Generally, something like
> LC_CTYPE=en_US-UTF-8 will be able to read Japanes, but it will probably
> also depend upon the LC_CTYPE settings on the remote machine.
>
> As English is my first language, I've never quite had to do it that way,
> but at times, have had to remotely read emails in mutt using Japanese.

You're prompt will reference whatever the hostname is doesn't it? I'm
located in Tokyo, I haven't setup any servers with Japanese hostnames
actually, but on occasion some filenames are written in Japanese. What is
it you wanted to see exactly? It also depends on the keyboard setup you
have set to the default. Most people in Japan set the keyboard to a US
style - where they enter romaji, and don't usually enter the kana from the
different keyboard layout. So, you type the roman characters ra for example
to make ら, but there is a Japanese keyboard layout where you can type the ら
character directly - but I never really see that used.

So, as far as I know, you'll be using whatever input methods you actually
have on your local system where you're ssh'ing from. So, if you needed to
write Japanese input you'd need some local IME on your particular system.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Ross Cavanagh

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Ross Cavanagh <ross.cav@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 11:10:40AM +0800, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I hope there is someone in Japan.
>> > If we install Centos in Japanese, and then I ssh to it from an English
>> > client. Will the SSH prompt be in Japanese?
>>
>> My guess--it's a bit late to test it tonight---is that as long as your
>> terminal can handle Japanese you should be alright.
>>
>> That is, it's probably easiest to, while running X, use a terminal
>> emulated, e.g., uxterm or urxvt (rxvt-unicode), and check the LC_CTYPE.
>> Generally, something like
>> LC_CTYPE=en_US-UTF-8 will be able to read Japanes, but it will probably
>> also depend upon the LC_CTYPE settings on the remote machine.
>>
>> As English is my first language, I've never quite had to do it that way,
>> but at times, have had to remotely read emails in mutt using Japanese.
>

> You're prompt will reference whatever the hostname is doesn't it? I'm
> located in Tokyo, I haven't setup any servers with Japanese hostnames
> actually, but on occasion some filenames are written in Japanese. What is
> it you wanted to see exactly? It also depends on the keyboard setup you
> have set to the default. Most people in Japan set the keyboard to a US
> style - where they enter romaji, and don't usually enter the kana from the
> different keyboard layout. So, you type the roman characters ra for example
> to make ら, but there is a Japanese keyboard layout where you can type the ら
> character directly - but I never really see that used.
>
> So, as far as I know, you'll be using whatever input methods you actually
> have on your local system where you're ssh'ing from. So, if you needed to
> write Japanese input you'd need some local IME on your particular system.

and sorry for my bad grammar, too much time in Japan ;-)

your prompt, you are not a prompt.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Ross Cavanagh <ross.cav@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're prompt will reference whatever the hostname is doesn't it? I'm
> located in Tokyo, I haven't setup any servers with Japanese hostnames
> actually, but on occasion some filenames are written in Japanese. What is
> it you wanted to see exactly? It also depends on the keyboard setup you
> have set to the default. Most people in Japan set the keyboard to a US
> style - where they enter romaji, and don't usually enter the kana from the
> different keyboard layout. So, you type the roman characters ra for example
> to make ら, but there is a Japanese keyboard layout where you can type the ら
> character directly - but I never really see that used.
>
> So, as far as I know, you'll be using whatever input methods you actually
> have on your local system where you're ssh'ing from. So, if you needed to
> write Japanese input you'd need some local IME on your particular system.

Hi Ross, thanks for your time. What I want to know is, during the
initial ssh login.
Will it display the dialogue fully in Japanese? e.g. fajar@8.8.8.8's
password: (will it be in Japanese?)

Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Ross Cavanagh

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Ross Cavanagh <ross.cav@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You're prompt will reference whatever the hostname is doesn't it? I'm
> > located in Tokyo, I haven't setup any servers with Japanese hostnames
> > actually, but on occasion some filenames are written in Japanese. What is
> > it you wanted to see exactly? It also depends on the keyboard setup you
> > have set to the default. Most people in Japan set the keyboard to a US
> > style - where they enter romaji, and don't usually enter the kana from
> the
> > different keyboard layout. So, you type the roman characters ra for
> example
> > to make ら, but there is a Japanese keyboard layout where you can type
> the ら
> > character directly - but I never really see that used.
> >
> > So, as far as I know, you'll be using whatever input methods you actually
> > have on your local system where you're ssh'ing from. So, if you needed to
> > write Japanese input you'd need some local IME on your particular system.
>
> Hi Ross, thanks for your time. What I want to know is, during the
> initial ssh login.
> Will it display the dialogue fully in Japanese? e.g. fajar@8.8.8.8's
> password: (will it be in Japanese?)
>
> As far as I'm aware, you would be seeing virtually everything in English
as the directory structures are in English. Usually people's home
directories are setup in English, I don't think I've ever come across a
user login that does use Japanese actually (not sure if you can - otherwise
your SSH connection you'd have to match you user name - eg. Ross would be
my katakana name, *ス*8.8.8.8 - don't even know it's possible). I've worked
at one Japanese company as the only foreigner, and all others companies
have been international ones - but everyone uses Roman characters for their
logins and not kana or kanji.

Same with passwords.

Usually, on systems I've seen in Japan most of the time files and folders
are creating using Roman characters for naming (most of the time). Within a
document, of course it could be written 100% in Japanese. Some folders and
files can be in Japanese, so it can be hard to navigate through some
directories if you don't have any IME tools for Japanese input. Lots of tab
autocomplete and copy and pasting at times - but that's usually within a
home directory for a user for example.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Fajar Priyanto

I see. Thanks Ross. That makes sense.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy ^^

Old 08-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Ross Cavanagh

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:

> I see. Thanks Ross. That makes sense.
>
> Sent from Samsung Galaxy ^^
> On Aug 6, 2012 8:12 PM, "Ross Cavanagh" <ross.cav@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org>
> > wrote:

> What
> > is
> you
> US
> from
> > > the
> > > example
> > > the ら

> > actually
> needed
> > system.
> > >
> > > Hi Ross, thanks for your time. What I want to know is, during the
> > > initial ssh login.
> > > Will it display the dialogue fully in Japanese? e.g. fajar@8.8.8.8's
> > > password: (will it be in Japanese?)
> > >
> > > As far as I'm aware, you would be seeing virtually everything in
> English
> > as the directory structures are in English. Usually people's home
> > directories are setup in English, I don't think I've ever come across a
> > user login that does use Japanese actually (not sure if you can -
> otherwise
> > your SSH connection you'd have to match you user name - eg. Ross would be
> > my katakana name, *ス*8.8.8.8 - don't even know it's possible). I've
> worked
> > at one Japanese company as the only foreigner, and all others companies
> > have been international ones - but everyone uses Roman characters for
> their
> > logins and not kana or kanji.
> >
> > Same with passwords.
> >
> > Usually, on systems I've seen in Japan most of the time files and folders
> > are creating using Roman characters for naming (most of the time).
> Within a
> > document, of course it could be written 100% in Japanese. Some folders
> and
> > files can be in Japanese, so it can be hard to navigate through some
> > directories if you don't have any IME tools for Japanese input. Lots of
> tab
> > autocomplete and copy and pasting at times - but that's usually within a
> > home directory for a user for example.
>
> I just quickly started up a CentOS VM to check something...

[root@CENT01 ~]# useradd -m *ス
useradd: invalid user name '*ス'

So, looks like it needs to be in Roman characters.

But it appears even I have some issues via my terminal too:

[root@CENT01 ~]# useradd -m ross
[root@CENT01 ~]# cd /home/ross/
[root@CENT01 ross]# touch *ス
[root@CENT01 ross]# ls
??????

So, my Japanese input isn't being displayed. But I did get a warning when I
SSH'd in about that:

-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_CTYPE: cannot change locale (UTF-8)

Hope that helps.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Fajar Priyanto

Definitely Ross. I'll tell my friend. Thank you.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy ^^

Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Ross Cavanagh <ross.cav@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I just quickly started up a CentOS VM to check something...

> But it appears even I have some issues via my terminal too:
>
> [root@CENT01 ~]# useradd -m ross
> [root@CENT01 ~]# cd /home/ross/
> [root@CENT01 ross]# touch *ス
> [root@CENT01 ross]# ls
> ??????

I have a .ja version of CentOS-6 in a VM. I do all my testing work by
ssh'ing to it but have not encountered issues with Japanese
input/display.

[yagi2@c63-64ja ~]$ mkdir 日本語
[yagi2@c63-64ja ~]$ cd 日本語
[yagi2@c63-64ja 日本語]$ touch *ス
[yagi2@c63-64ja 日本語]$ ll
total 0
-rw-r--r--. 1 yagi2 yagi2 0 Aug 6 06:39 *ス

The machine I connect from does have Japanese input set up (as
mentioned by others).

Akemi
A Japanese in California :-)