Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM
"Paul R. Ganci"

Default samba3x PDC and Win XP (and now Win 7 Client ... off topic)

On 08/01/2012 09:13 AM, Andreas Rogge wrote:
> Am 01.08.2012 09:39, schrieb Paul R. Ganci:
>> anybody have a clue as to why %u is not evaluating to the linux username
>> snichols and is getting treated simply as the string %u?
> You have to use %U instead of %u - this is not a security issue as
> having the wrong UNC path should (and probably will) be caught using ACLs.
Well last night I implemented this change and indeed this fixed the Win
XP problem. The domain users on the client Win XP box can indeed find
their roaming profiles and properly sync them at logon/logoff time.
However when I went to add a domain user to the first Win 7 Professional
box added to the domain, that user only gets a local profile (i.e. a
C:Usersusername instead of C:Usersusername.domainame) despite the
fact the domain user has a roaming profile. I am sure this is a Win 7
client setup issue.

The best I have been able to do is copy a local profile from the Win 7
box for the domain user back to the Samba PDC. I then delete the domain
user's local profile and could get the Win 7 client to read the profile
from the Samba PDC on the domain user's next logon. Basically I can get
the Win 7 client to create a new local profile from the profile found on
the Samba PDC but on logoff the Win 7 client will not sync that profile
with the Samba PDC and on subsequent logons only uses the local stored
profile on the Win 7 box. It is like the Win 7 client policy is to use
local profiles only and it uses the Samba PDC profile only as a default
if the local profile doesn't exist. There is no subsequent profile
synchronization at logon/logoff after the Win 7 local profile gets created.

Any suggestions to registry/policy settings to get roaming profiles to
act as roaming profiles on a Win 7 Professional SP 1 box? I thought I
ask here first as I am already on this list. Admittedly this might
better belong on a Samba forum but I am guessing somebody out there has
already run into this issue. Everything on the web says this should work
but alas...

--
Paul (ganci@nurdog.com)

Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 08/02/2012 09:07 AM, Paul R. Ganci wrote:
> On 08/01/2012 09:13 AM, Andreas Rogge wrote:
>> Am 01.08.2012 09:39, schrieb Paul R. Ganci:
>>> anybody have a clue as to why %u is not evaluating to the linux username
>>> snichols and is getting treated simply as the string %u?
>> You have to use %U instead of %u - this is not a security issue as
>> having the wrong UNC path should (and probably will) be caught using ACLs.
> Well last night I implemented this change and indeed this fixed the Win
> XP problem. The domain users on the client Win XP box can indeed find
> their roaming profiles and properly sync them at logon/logoff time.
> However when I went to add a domain user to the first Win 7 Professional
> box added to the domain, that user only gets a local profile (i.e. a
> C:Usersusername instead of C:Usersusername.domainame) despite the
> fact the domain user has a roaming profile. I am sure this is a Win 7
> client setup issue.
>
> The best I have been able to do is copy a local profile from the Win 7
> box for the domain user back to the Samba PDC. I then delete the domain
> user's local profile and could get the Win 7 client to read the profile
> from the Samba PDC on the domain user's next logon. Basically I can get
> the Win 7 client to create a new local profile from the profile found on
> the Samba PDC but on logoff the Win 7 client will not sync that profile
> with the Samba PDC and on subsequent logons only uses the local stored
> profile on the Win 7 box. It is like the Win 7 client policy is to use
> local profiles only and it uses the Samba PDC profile only as a default
> if the local profile doesn't exist. There is no subsequent profile
> synchronization at logon/logoff after the Win 7 local profile gets created.
>
> Any suggestions to registry/policy settings to get roaming profiles to
> act as roaming profiles on a Win 7 Professional SP 1 box? I thought I
> ask here first as I am already on this list. Admittedly this might
> better belong on a Samba forum but I am guessing somebody out there has
> already run into this issue. Everything on the web says this should work
> but alas...

Are you adding all of the required registry entries on the Win7 machines
to have them join the domain?

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

Old 08-02-2012, 04:34 PM
"Paul R. Ganci"

On 8/2/2012 8:29 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Are you adding all of the required registry entries on the Win7
> machines to have them join the domain?
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

Thanks, Johnny ... Yes I have added those register entries and was able
to join the Win 7 box to the domain just fine. I was also able to create
a domain user account. I can logon with that domain user account just
fine. The domain user home directory gets connected properly to drive H:
and I can see the serverprofileuser share just fine. The only thing
that is not occurring is that the profile created on the Win 7 box is a
local profile and not a roaming one with the caveat that if the a local
Win 7 profile is not found it takes the one found on the
serverprofileuser share as a default. It is like the Win 7 box is
setup to use local profiles only even if the profile is a roaming one.
There are register entries you can set to make this happen but they are
not present in my registry from what I can see.
--
Paul

Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 AM
"Paul R. Ganci"

On 08/02/2012 08:07 AM, Paul R. Ganci wrote:
> Any suggestions to registry/policy settings to get roaming profiles to
> act as roaming profiles on a Win 7 Professional SP 1 box? I thought I
> ask here first as I am already on this list. Admittedly this might
> better belong on a Samba forum but I am guessing somebody out there
> has already run into this issue. Everything on the web says this
> should work but alas...

Well after nearly a week of agony I finally have my Win 7 roaming
profiles acting like roaming profiles. It tuns out that while trying to
get %u (as opposed to %U) to work I also was playing with the Win 7
profiles. Apparently I managed to munge these registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows
NTCurrentVersionProfileListSidXXXCacheNextLogon
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows
NTCurrentVersionProfileListSidXXXRefCount

For the roaming profile to synchronize properly the CacheNextLogon
REG_DWORD had to be set to 0x00000000 and the RefCount REG_DWORD to
0x00000001. After I fixed these to have the proper value my profiles
began to synchronize properly with my Samba PDC. I don't even remember
what web search found this little tidbit but I guess even a blind
squirrel finds a nut every so often.

--
Paul (ganci@nurdog.com)