-   -   New screencast of work in progress text UI (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/689828-new-screencast-work-progress-text-ui.html)

Martin Sivak 08-02-2012 10:00 AM

New screencast of work in progress text UI

Hi,

This is nice.

Do we want to be able to go to the previous intra-spoke steps if you change your mind?
Also ask mizmo about it, we might want to put some summary about selected drives to most of the storage screens so people with short memory still know what they are doing :)

Martin

Adam Williamson 08-02-2012 04:53 PM

New screencast of work in progress text UI

> This is based on the work Martin Sivak and I have been doing. This is
> his newtui branch from his fedorapeople page with some minor changes and
> the storage spoke(s) added by me. Feedback desired :)
>
> http://jkeating.fedorapeople.org/textui/newtui.ogv

One small note - 'Install hub' is kind of jargon-y. Maybe just call it
'Main menu' or something more generic like that?

Also it seems to write "Please make your choice from above" even when
there's no choice to make - like after setting the install target disk.
You're 'meant' to press 'c' to continue, but it feels uncomfortable.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Vratislav Podzimek 08-02-2012 07:29 PM

New screencast of work in progress text UI

> This is based on the work Martin Sivak and I have been doing. This is
> his newtui branch from his fedorapeople page with some minor changes and
> the storage spoke(s) added by me. Feedback desired :)
>
> http://jkeating.fedorapeople.org/textui/newtui.ogv
Clear interface, clear code. Nice!

--
Vratislav Podzimek

Jesse Keating 08-02-2012 07:55 PM

New screencast of work in progress text UI

One small note - 'Install hub' is kind of jargon-y. Maybe just call it
'Main menu' or something more generic like that?

Yeah, that text I'm leaving up to the designers (and translators) :)

Also it seems to write "Please make your choice from above" even when
there's no choice to make - like after setting the install target disk.
You're 'meant' to press 'c' to continue, but it feels uncomfortable.

Well, we could put some more info on screen there, but you can select
more than one install target. Also, if you choose a target that's
already selected, you'll /deselect/ it. So the user really does have a
choice on that screen at all times, we don't know when they're done
until they continue.

Adam Williamson 08-02-2012 08:47 PM

New screencast of work in progress text UI

> On 08/02/2012 09:53 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > One small note - 'Install hub' is kind of jargon-y. Maybe just call it
> > 'Main menu' or something more generic like that?
>
> Yeah, that text I'm leaving up to the designers (and translators) :)
>

> > Also it seems to write "Please make your choice from above" even when
> > there's no choice to make - like after setting the install target disk.
> > You're 'meant' to press 'c' to continue, but it feels uncomfortable.
>
> Well, we could put some more info on screen there, but you can select
> more than one install target. Also, if you choose a target that's
> already selected, you'll /deselect/ it. So the user really does have a
> choice on that screen at all times, we don't know when they're done
> until they continue.

I see. Maybe make the hub/spoke design more explicit, and instead of
just 'continue' have something like 'done, move back to the main menu'?
Just trying to cue the user so they really know what's going on...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Jesse Keating 08-02-2012 08:53 PM

New screencast of work in progress text UI

I see. Maybe make the hub/spoke design more explicit, and instead of
just 'continue' have something like 'done, move back to the main menu'?
Just trying to cue the user so they really know what's going on...

Sure. That part is also Designer fodder. FWIW the GUI mockups
(http://www.linuxgrrl.com/fedora-ux/Projects/Anaconda/Prototypes/ToPrint/)
use QUIT and CONTINUE buttons. That's why we used the quit / continue
terms in tui.

Chuck Anderson 08-02-2012 11:36 PM

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 10:48:15PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> This is based on the work Martin Sivak and I have been doing. This
> is his newtui branch from his fedorapeople page with some minor
> changes and the storage spoke(s) added by me. Feedback desired :)
>
> http://jkeating.fedorapeople.org/textui/newtui.ogv

Very nice. If there are multiple options that should act as
radiobuttons, can you use (*) instead of [x]? [x] to me means a
multi-select option, which doesn't make sense for
e.g. Autopartitioning Options.

Thanks.