Old 08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Tim Nelson

Default Configure LAGG Interface?

Greetings- I'd like to configure multiple copper NICs on a server running CentOS 6.2 in a LAGG configuration for better throughput to the core switch. After quite a bit of searching, I'm not seeing anything of the sort. Is LAGG specific to the BSD world and the HP switches I'm running? Or, does it go by a different name? Bonding perhaps? If so, is bonding compatible with LAGG?

--Tim

Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Nux!

On 01.08.2012 21:17, Tim Nelson wrote:
> Greetings- I'd like to configure multiple copper NICs on a server
> running CentOS 6.2 in a LAGG configuration for better throughput to
> the core switch. After quite a bit of searching, I'm not seeing
> anything of the sort. Is LAGG specific to the BSD world and the HP
> switches I'm running? Or, does it go by a different name? Bonding
> perhaps? If so, is bonding compatible with LAGG?
>
> --Tim

Hi Tim,

In Centos you would be doing "nic bonding", it's the same thing.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Tim Nelson

> > Greetings- I'd like to configure multiple copper NICs on a server
> > running CentOS 6.2 in a LAGG configuration for better throughput to
> > the core switch. After quite a bit of searching, I'm not seeing
> > anything of the sort. Is LAGG specific to the BSD world and the HP
> > switches I'm running? Or, does it go by a different name? Bonding
> > perhaps? If so, is bonding compatible with LAGG?
> >
> > --Tim
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> In Centos you would be doing "nic bonding", it's the same thing.

The big question though, can I bond two NICs on a CentOS system, and connect those interfaces to two LAGG ports on my switches?

--Tim

Old 08-02-2012, 01:41 AM
John R Pierce

On 08/01/12 6:00 PM, Tim Nelson wrote:
> The big question though, can I bond two NICs on a CentOS system, and connect those interfaces to two LAGG ports on my switches?

again, bonding and link aggregation is just two names for the same thing.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 08-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Giles Coochey

Greetings- I'd like to configure multiple copper NICs on a server
running CentOS 6.2 in a LAGG configuration for better throughput to
the core switch. After quite a bit of searching, I'm not seeing
anything of the sort. Is LAGG specific to the BSD world and the HP
switches I'm running? Or, does it go by a different name? Bonding
perhaps? If so, is bonding compatible with LAGG?

--Tim

Hi Tim,

In Centos you would be doing "nic bonding", it's the same thing.

The big question though, can I bond two NICs on a CentOS system, and connect those interfaces to two LAGG ports on my switches?

http://centoshelp.org/networking/nic-bonding/

Configure the switches as a LACP port-channel, you probably want to use
a host mode (e.g. silent) configuration.

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd
+44 (0) 7983 877438
http://www.coochey.net
http://www.netsecspec.co.uk
giles@coochey.net

Old 08-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Cal Sawyer

In my experience, LAG/LACP won't provide aggregatation, only failover
and fault tolerance. For link aggregation, you don't need to configure
the switch ports - just set bonding to mode=6 for balanced
transmit/receive and plug up the the NICs to a group of ports on the
switch. However, balance-alb doesn't help with single stream rsync/FTP
sessions, etc, but helps a lot with concurrent transmits/receives as
encountered in typical fileserver scenarios.

- c

Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Rainer Duffner

Am 06.08.2012 um 19:22 schrieb Cal Sawyer <cal-s@blue-bolt.com>:

> In my experience, LAG/LACP won't provide aggregatation, only failover
> and fault tolerance. For link aggregation, you don't need to configure
> the switch ports - just set bonding to mode=6 for balanced
> transmit/receive and plug up the the NICs to a group of ports on the
> switch. However, balance-alb doesn't help with single stream rsync/FTP
> sessions, etc, but helps a lot with concurrent transmits/receives as
> encountered in typical fileserver scenarios.

On FreeBSD, you don't get 2*1 Gbit from A to B, but 1*1 Gbit from A to B and another 1*1 Gbit from C to B.
"B" being the server with the LAGG interface.

How is that in CentOS?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Alexander Dalloz

Am 06.08.2012 19:44, schrieb Rainer Duffner:

> Am 06.08.2012 um 19:22 schrieb Cal Sawyer <cal-s@blue-bolt.com>:
>
>> In my experience, LAG/LACP won't provide aggregatation, only failover
>> and fault tolerance. For link aggregation, you don't need to configure
>> the switch ports - just set bonding to mode=6 for balanced
>> transmit/receive and plug up the the NICs to a group of ports on the
>> switch. However, balance-alb doesn't help with single stream rsync/FTP
>> sessions, etc, but helps a lot with concurrent transmits/receives as
>> encountered in typical fileserver scenarios.
>>

> On FreeBSD, you don't get 2*1 Gbit from A to B, but 1*1 Gbit from A to B and another 1*1 Gbit from C to B.
> "B" being the server with the LAGG interface.
>
> How is that in CentOS?

It is of course the same, as long as we speak about standardized 802.3ad
protocol.

Alexander