Old 07-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Alfred von Campe

Default Modifying a netinstall ISO image

I want to make a very minor change to the netinstall ISO image, namely adding a few parameters to the boot line to automatically kick off a kickstart installation. Here is my approach:

mount -o loop CentOS-6.2-i386-netinstall.iso /mnt
cp -pr /mnt /tmp
cd /tmp/mnt
vi isolinux/isolinux.cfg # Add some stuff to the default append line and reduce timeout
mkisofs -o /tmp/CentOS-6.2-i386-netinstall-ks.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -J -v -T .

I got the mkisofs command line from http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s2-steps-make-cd.html (I couldn't find anything similar in the CentOS/RHEL 6.X documentation).

This appears to work just fine, but the resulting ISO image is about 20% bigger (194M vs. 162M) and has an extra TRANS.TBL file at the top level. Any ideas what is causing this? It's no big deal as I've got things working, but I'm curious nonetheless...

Alfred

Old 07-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Alfred,

On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 14:59 -0400, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> This appears to work just fine, but the resulting ISO image is about
> 20% bigger (194M vs. 162M) and has an extra TRANS.TBL file at the top
> level. Any ideas what is causing this? It's no big deal as I've got
> things working, but I'm curious nonetheless...

man mkisofs should give you an explanation of the used options. The
directory record options used (-J, -R and -T) probably increase the ISO
size compared to when those aren't used.

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

> This appears to work just fine, but the resulting ISO image is about 20% bigger (194M vs. 162M)
> and has an extra TRANS.TBL file at the top level. Any ideas what is causing this? It's no big
> deal as I've got things working, but I'm curious nonetheless...

And that is just about the size of the duplicate initrd.img file.

If you are going to ignore the manual page you posted and include the images directory, hard link
the duplicate file and re-author

jlc

Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Alfred von Campe

On Jul 29, 2012, at 13:23, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

> man mkisofs should give you an explanation of the used options. The
> directory record options used (-J, -R and -T) probably increase the ISO
> size compared to when those aren't used.

Good point, but since I don't know how the original ISO image was created,
I used this command which I found in the CentOS/Red Hat documentation (I
assumed that a similar command was used to create the original ISO image).

Alfred

Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 PM
Alfred von Campe

On Jul 29, 2012, at 15:44, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> And that is just about the size of the duplicate initrd.img file.

Good catch!

> If you are going to ignore the manual page you posted and include the images directory, hard link
> the duplicate file and re-author

Yes, it does say that you only need to copy the isolinux directory, and that appears to work and
make the ISO image much smaller to boot! So no rescue mode, but that's OK with me as I only need
it to start a network kickstart installation.

Alfred