Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Joseph Spenner

Default SELinux in CentOS 6

________________________________
From: Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net>
To: centos@centos.org
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:25 PM
Subject: [CentOS] SELinux in CentOS 6

>*** It keeps butting in when I try to install map software from Garmin
> under Wine. I'm not nearly competent not willing to apply the remedy it
> suggests. How do I get to someplace where I can disable it, or at least
> set it to permissive?

You can edit the /etc/selinux/config

..but I anticipate this thread will spawn yet another instance of "SELinux Wars.."

*If life gives you lemons, keep them-- because hey.. free lemons.
"~heart~ Sticker"* fixer:* http://microflush.org/stuff/stickers/heartFix.html

Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Darod Zyree

Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 AM
John Doe

From: Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net>

> *** It keeps butting in when I try to install map software from Garmin
> under Wine. I'm not nearly competent not willing to apply the remedy it
> suggests. How do I get to someplace where I can disable it, or at least
> set it to permissive?

Not an selinux expert at all but maybe look for "permissive domains"...

JD

Old 07-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Phil Dobbin

Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 PM
James Hogarth

> As others have said, edit /etc/selinux/config as root & set to
> permissive as opposed to enforcing & then reboot for the changes to take
> effect.

Unless you are switching between permissive/enforcing and disabled (or
vice-versa) you done need a reboot - just use setenforce to change the
running behaviour...

Also as usual in the redhat world look to /ets/sysconfig/selinux ...
although in this case that's just a symlink to /etc/selinux/config I
have been tripped up on more than one occasion with only editing stuff
in /etc and then wondering why behaviour is not as expected... and as
such find it good practice to get in the habit of checking
/etc/sysconfig before doing straight to the other /etc/<service>
files....

Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 07-27-2012, 04:59 PM
SilverTip257

If you temporarily want SELinux permissive and plan on fixing it with
a custom policy module, run `setenforce 0`. Check to see the SELinux
status with `getenforce`. And you can check /var/log/audit/audit.log
to see what SELinux is saying.

I'm more inclined these days to put together policy modules rather
than _forever_ setting it to permissive (unless you get logwatch
reports on it, SELinux might as well be disabled completely).

Set SELinux to permissive, get your application configured and
working, then come back and use the items logged while set to
permissive to generate a policy module.

---~~.~~---
Mike
// SilverTip257 //

Old 07-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Phil Dobbin wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>
>> From: Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net>
>>
>>> It keeps butting in when I try to install map software from Garmin
>>> under Wine. I'm not nearly competent not willing to apply the remedy it
>>> suggests. How do I get to someplace where I can disable it, or at least
>>> set it to permissive?
>>
>> Not an selinux expert at all but maybe look for "permissive domains"...
>
> As others have said, edit /etc/selinux/config as root & set to
> permissive as opposed to enforcing & then reboot for the changes to take
> effect.
<snip>
Or, if you don't want to reboot just now, as root, run setenforce 0, or
echo 0 > /selinux/enforce, which will set it to permissive.

mark