Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Keith Roberts

Default Installing Centos-6 32 bit

Is a guide to installing Centos 6 32 bit that covers such
things like:

Minimal Kickstart example file
Centos 6 multimedia repos

Plus any other things I need to be aware of when moving from
5.8 to 6.2 (I know the latest version is 6.3 but I will
let yum deal with that when I upgrade the installed
packages.)

TIA

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Keith,

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 09:25 +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
> Is a guide to installing Centos 6 32 bit that covers such
> things like:
>
> Minimal Kickstart example file
> Centos 6 multimedia repos

A lot of documentation can be found at http://docs.redhat.com, amongst
which is
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/index.html .

> Plus any other things I need to be aware of when moving from
> 5.8 to 6.2

I'd check the release notes and technical notes that can also be found
there.

Regeards,
Leonard.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Keith Roberts

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

> From: Leonard den Ottolander <leonard@den.ottolander.nl>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Installing Centos-6 32 bit
>
> Hello Keith,
>
> On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 09:25 +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> Is a guide to installing Centos 6 32 bit that covers such
>> things like:
>>
>> Minimal Kickstart example file
>> Centos 6 multimedia repos
>
> A lot of documentation can be found at http://docs.redhat.com, amongst
> which is
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/index.html .
>
>> Plus any other things I need to be aware of when moving from
>> 5.8 to 6.2
>
> I'd check the release notes and technical notes that can also be found
> there.

Hi Leonard.

Thanks for those pointers, I will take a look at them first
before attempting a migration to Centos 6.

Keith

Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM
"James A. Peltier"

| Is a guide to installing Centos 6 32 bit that covers such
| things like:
|
| Minimal Kickstart example file
| Centos 6 multimedia repos
|
| Plus any other things I need to be aware of when moving from
| 5.8 to 6.2 (I know the latest version is 6.3 but I will
| let yum deal with that when I upgrade the installed
| packages.)
|
| TIA
|
| Keith Roberts

If you run an interactive installation on a single machine, selecting the components that you want installed, the partition layout and so forth, that machine will generate a kickstart file for you to replicate other machines with located in /root/anaconda-ks.cfg. You can alter this file as you so choose and use it to then install other machines by passing it the ks= options for protocol, locations and whatnot.

Adding multimedia repos can be managed as part of the kickstarts post process to add things like RPMFusion, EPEL, ATRPMS and any other third party repo that you want. Once the repositories are available you can then install components from them.

As a side note, have a look at the documentation for kickstart and more specifically the "repo" options. You can include updates as part of the OS installation ending up with a host that has all updates applied during installation so that when it boots you have a fully patched system when rolled out.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached
in life but as by the obstacles they have overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Old 07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Keith Roberts

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, James A. Peltier wrote:

> From: James A. Peltier <jpeltier@sfu.ca>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Installing Centos-6 32 bit

> If you run an interactive installation on a single
> machine, selecting the components that you want installed,
> the partition layout and so forth, that machine will
> generate a kickstart file for you to replicate other
> machines with located in /root/anaconda-ks.cfg. You can
> alter this file as you so choose and use it to then
> install other machines by passing it the ks= options for
> protocol, locations and whatnot.

Thank you for reminding me about that option to generate a
basic kickstart file. That's worth doing to get and example
kickstart file to work on later.

> Adding multimedia repos can be managed as part of the
> kickstarts post process to add things like RPMFusion,
> EPEL, ATRPMS and any other third party repo that you want.
> Once the repositories are available you can then install
> components from them.

Are the 6 repos still the same as the 5 - apart from
the version change from 5.x to 6.x ?

> As a side note, have a look at the documentation for
> kickstart and more specifically the "repo" options. You
> can include updates as part of the OS installation ending
> up with a host that has all updates applied during
> installation so that when it boots you have a fully
> patched system when rolled out.

Are you referring to the RH docs or Centos website & wiki
docs here James?

Kind Regards,