-   -   Can someone help with SpamBayes problem? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/687422-can-someone-help-spambayes-problem.html)

fred smith 07-25-2012 07:10 PM

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 02:05:05PM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 01:26:51PM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> >> fred smith wrote:
> >> <snip>

> >> <snip>
> >> *How* did you install it? Is it an .rpm, or a tar.gz?
> >
> > it's a tar.gz. you unzip it and run "python setup.py install" which is,
> > I gather, the normal way to install Python stuff (except, of course, for
> > those things in a RPM or DEB or whatever package). As far as I can figure
> > out by staring blankly at the code in setup.py, there isn't any (obvious)
> > uninstall function.
>
> All I can suggest then is tar -tvfz file.tar.gz > filelist, then feed that
> to find and exec rm {} ;

yeah, I'm working on that. but it doesn't appear to be quite that
simple. :(

The setup.py proggie appears to do a bunch futzing around with
creating/modifying files before squirreling them away in various places.

I've grabbed from the screen a log of the things it says its doing, from
which I hope to be able to derive the list of things to purge.

Fred

fred smith 07-25-2012 07:48 PM

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 03:10:44PM -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 02:05:05PM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > fred smith wrote:

> > > it's a tar.gz. you unzip it and run "python setup.py install" which is,
> > > I gather, the normal way to install Python stuff (except, of course, for
> > > those things in a RPM or DEB or whatever package). As far as I can figure
> > > out by staring blankly at the code in setup.py, there isn't any (obvious)
> > > uninstall function.
> >
> > All I can suggest then is tar -tvfz file.tar.gz > filelist, then feed that
> > to find and exec rm {} ;
>
> yeah, I'm working on that. but it doesn't appear to be quite that
> simple. :(
>
> The setup.py proggie appears to do a bunch futzing around with
> creating/modifying files before squirreling them away in various places.
>
> I've grabbed from the screen a log of the things it says its doing, from
> which I hope to be able to derive the list of things to purge.

Mark, et al:

OK, that works. the installation generates a long list of actions, but in
the end there are only about 20 files installed, which simplifies things,
once one reads thru all the actions leading up to their installation.

having done that, I then re-un-tar.gz'd the archive for the oldest
version (the one I was originally running) and reinstalled it and it
is now working.

(I re-extracted it, because the installation process does its various
machinations in subdirs of the extraction's target directory and at least
some of it gets left in place afterwards, so I wanted to make sure it
was a clean install.)

whatta pain this was!

thanks for the sympathy and ideas!

Fred

Leonard den Ottolander 07-26-2012 10:53 AM

Can someone help with SpamBayes problem?

Hello Fred,

On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 15:10 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 02:05:05PM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > All I can suggest then is tar -tvfz file.tar.gz > filelist, then feed that
> > to find and exec rm {} ;
>
> yeah, I'm working on that. but it doesn't appear to be quite that
> simple. :(
>
> The setup.py proggie appears to do a bunch futzing around with
> creating/modifying files before squirreling them away in various places.

Which is why package managers like rpm were invented. You could try
using the spambayes package from Fedora EPEL
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL), either in binary form, or in case
you build from SRPM you can even upgrade the tarball version and build a
more recent version.

Or you could stick with spamassassin that comes with CentOS by default
and get it to work: http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/BayesFaq

Regards,
Leonard.

fred smith 07-26-2012 04:59 PM

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:53:50PM +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hello Fred,
>
> On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 15:10 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 02:05:05PM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > > All I can suggest then is tar -tvfz file.tar.gz > filelist, then feed that
> > > to find and exec rm {} ;
> >
> > yeah, I'm working on that. but it doesn't appear to be quite that
> > simple. :(
> >
> > The setup.py proggie appears to do a bunch futzing around with
> > creating/modifying files before squirreling them away in various places.
>
> Which is why package managers like rpm were invented. You could try
> using the spambayes package from Fedora EPEL
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL), either in binary form, or in case
> you build from SRPM you can even upgrade the tarball version and build a
> more recent version.

Hmm... I didn't realize that EPEL offered spambayes. I'll keep that
in mind for the next time I rebuild that system.

per my later emails, I did resolve the problem, so it's not urgent
anymore.

thanks for the suggestion, though.

Fred

--