-   -   problem with machine "freezing" for short periods (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/687330-problem-machine-freezing-short-periods.html)

"Vanhorn, Mike" 07-25-2012 02:34 PM

problem with machine "freezing" for short periods

I have two HP dc7800 convertible minitowers that are exhibiting the
following issue: every 5-10 minutes, they will "freeze" for about 30
seconds, and then pick right back up again. During the freeze, it seems
that nothing at all happens on the system; the clock doesn't even advance
(it just picks up again with the next second, and that 30-or-so seconds
are lost).

I've tried both CentOS 5.8 and 5.7, thinking it was a kernel
incompatibility, but the problem happened with both versions. I have tried
different hard drives, different memory, even swapped the entire machine,
and the problem exists everywhere. I have tried adding "pci=nommconf" to
the kernel line, as that was reported as being necessary back with 5.2 on
these machines, but that made no difference (and shouldn't be necessary
now, anyway, as I believe the issue has either been fixed or
worked-around).

I am stuck, and can't figure out where to even suspect the problem might
actually be. There are no errors getting logged anywhere that I can find,
probably because everything just "stops" temporarily, so there's nothing
for the system to log.

Does anyone have any idea where I could look to fix this? I think I am
next going to go back to 5.2, where the pci=nommconf is necessary, because
at least back that far it appears to have been working for other people.
However, I really would like to have this running 5.8.

Thanks!

---
Mike VanHorn
Senior Computer Systems Administrator
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Wright State University
265 Russ Engineering Center
937-775-5157
michael.vanhorn@wright.edu
http://www.cecs.wright.edu/~mvanhorn/

07-25-2012 03:24 PM

Vanhorn, Mike wrote:

> I have two HP dc7800 convertible minitowers that are exhibiting the
> following issue: every 5-10 minutes, they will "freeze" for about 30
> seconds, and then pick right back up again. During the freeze, it seems
> that nothing at all happens on the system; the clock doesn't even advance
> (it just picks up again with the next second, and that 30-or-so seconds
> are lost).
>
> I've tried both CentOS 5.8 and 5.7, thinking it was a kernel
> incompatibility, but the problem happened with both versions. I have tried
> different hard drives, different memory, even swapped the entire machine,
> and the problem exists everywhere. I have tried adding "pci=nommconf" to
> the kernel line, as that was reported as being necessary back with 5.2 on
> these machines, but that made no difference (and shouldn't be necessary
> now, anyway, as I believe the issue has either been fixed or
> worked-around).
<snip>
When you say "swapped the entire machine", what did you do? Also, what's
running on them? Have you tried running top -d 10 or smaller (that will
update the screen every 10 secs; I only recently found that current top
allows tenths of a second.

If you don't see anything, I'd suggest you call HP, assuming they're still
under warranty.

mark

Mogens Kjaer 07-25-2012 04:04 PM

On 07/25/2012 04:34 PM, Vanhorn, Mike wrote:
> I have two HP dc7800 convertible minitowers that are exhibiting the
> following issue: every 5-10 minutes, they will "freeze" for about 30
> seconds, and then pick right back up again. During the freeze, it seems
> that nothing at all happens on the system; the clock doesn't even advance
> (it just picks up again with the next second, and that 30-or-so seconds
> are lost).

I've several HP dc7x00 machines, and I've never seen that problem
with centos 5 or 6.

Do you also see the problem if you boot in runlevel 3, i.e. without X?

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk

John Doe 07-25-2012 04:07 PM

problem with machine "freezing" for short periods

From: "m.roth@5-cent.us" <m.roth@5-cent.us>

> Vanhorn, Mike wrote:
>> I have two HP dc7800 convertible minitowers that are exhibiting the
>> following issue: every 5-10 minutes, they will "freeze" for about
>> 30 seconds, and then pick right back up again. During the freeze, it seems
>> that nothing at all happens on the system; the clock doesn't even
>> advance (it just picks up again with the next second, and that 30-or-so
>> seconds are lost).
>
> If you don't see anything, I'd suggest you call HP, assuming they're
> still under warranty.

They apparently do not support Linux on these models...
So you might not get any help from HP support.
Do you have the latest BIOS?
Did you get a CD to run tests (like Insight Diagnostics Offline)?

JD

Keith Roberts 07-25-2012 04:22 PM

problem with machine "freezing" for short periods

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Vanhorn, Mike wrote:

*snip*

> I am stuck, and can't figure out where to even suspect the problem might
> actually be. There are no errors getting logged anywhere that I can find,
> probably because everything just "stops" temporarily, so there's nothing
> for the system to log.
>
> Does anyone have any idea where I could look to fix this? I think I am
> next going to go back to 5.2, where the pci=nommconf is necessary, because
> at least back that far it appears to have been working for other people.
> However, I really would like to have this running 5.8.

Hi Mike. Are you on 32 or 64 bits ?

If 32 bit you might like to take a look at this here, which
I compiled and packaged for Centos 5.5 32 bit - works on 5.8
OK as well:

Package Signing Key:
www.karsites.net/centos/downloads/5.6/karsites-GPG-public-key-2011-03-18.asc

32 bit binary RPM:
www.karsites.net/centos/downloads/5.6/qps-1.9.18.6-1.i386.rpm

Fedora 6 source code I rebuilt qps from:
www.karsites.net/centos/downloads/5.6/qps-1.9.18.6-1.fc6.src.rpm

If you click on the %MEM or %CPU headings, this will
toggle the sort order of the running processes by highest to
lowest and v/v for those headings - same applies to the
other headings.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

"Vanhorn, Mike" 07-26-2012 12:22 PM

On 7/25/12 11:24 AM, "m.roth@5-cent.us" <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

>When you say "swapped the entire machine", what did you do?

I have two of them, and thinking it was the hardware on the one, I moved
the hard drive to the second, but the problem existed there, too. That
points to something with the software, but, well, I haven't found anything
yet.

>Also, what's
>running on them? Have you tried running top -d 10 or smaller (that will
>update the screen every 10 secs; I only recently found that current top
>allows tenths of a second.

I haven't tried top, but that's a good idea. I usually have one window
open that is running uptime every second in a continuous loop, mainly to
tell me when exactly it happens. Originally, when the problem was first
noticed, we had VLSI software being run on it, but at this point, the only
thing I have on the machine is the operating system, and I'm going through
my step-by-step configuration until I notice the problem occurring.

---

"Vanhorn, Mike" 07-26-2012 12:24 PM

On 7/25/12 12:04 PM, "Mogens Kjaer" <mk@lemo.dk> wrote:

>I've several HP dc7x00 machines, and I've never seen that problem
>with centos 5 or 6.

I do, too. Things are fine on our 7900s, and the 8000-series machines we
have. I'm only seeing it on these two 7800s.

>Do you also see the problem if you boot in runlevel 3, i.e. without X?

Yes. I was thinking it maybe had something to do with the graphics card,
so I left it in runlevel 3, but the problem still persisted. It still may
be the graphics card, though, come to think of it, so I may need to try
taking it out.

---

"Vanhorn, Mike" 07-26-2012 12:25 PM

On 7/25/12 12:07 PM, "John Doe" <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Do you have the latest BIOS?

Yes.

>Did you get a CD to run tests (like Insight Diagnostics Offline)?

Yes, I used my copy of the UBCD to run memory and hard drive diagnostics,
and both passed.

---

"Vanhorn, Mike" 07-26-2012 12:26 PM

On 7/25/12 12:22 PM, "Keith Roberts" <keith@karsites.net> wrote:

>Hi Mike. Are you on 32 or 64 bits ?

64. I have thought of trying 32 bit, just to see if it made a difference,
but if it does, that won't help me because we need 64 bits for the
software we're running, anyway.

---

"Vanhorn, Mike" 07-27-2012 02:23 PM

On 7/25/12 10:34 AM, "Vanhorn, Mike" <michael.vanhorn@wright.edu> wrote:

>I have two HP dc7800 convertible minitowers that are exhibiting the
>following issue: every 5-10 minutes, they will "freeze" for about 30
>seconds, and then pick right back up again. During the freeze, it seems
>that nothing at all happens on the system; the clock doesn't even advance
>(it just picks up again with the next second, and that 30-or-so seconds
>are lost).
>
>I've tried both CentOS 5.8 and 5.7, thinking it was a kernel
>incompatibility, but the problem happened with both versions. I have tried
>different hard drives, different memory, even swapped the entire machine,
>and the problem exists everywhere. I have tried adding "pci=nommconf" to
>the kernel line, as that was reported as being necessary back with 5.2 on
>these machines, but that made no difference (and shouldn't be necessary
>now, anyway, as I believe the issue has either been fixed or
>worked-around).
>
>I am stuck, and can't figure out where to even suspect the problem might
>actually be. There are no errors getting logged anywhere that I can find,
>probably because everything just "stops" temporarily, so there's nothing
>for the system to log.
>
>Does anyone have any idea where I could look to fix this? I think I am
>next going to go back to 5.2, where the pci=nommconf is necessary, because
>at least back that far it appears to have been working for other people.
>However, I really would like to have this running 5.8.
>
>Thanks!

As a followup, I've determined that it is network related, but I'm still
not sure what the problem is. I did go back to CentOS 5.2, but the problem
still exists with that version, too.

Basically, what seems to be happening is that the network freezes around
30 seconds, and then picks right back up. There are no errors in any logs
that I can find, and process that are running locally and that only depend
on local resources keep right on going and don't have a problem.

I have tried using a different network card (as opposed to the one on the
motherboard), but the problem happens with that, too. It almost has to be
a configuration issue, or a BIOS settting, but I don't get it.

---