Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 PM
John Doe

Default problem with machine "freezing" for short periods

From: "Vanhorn, Mike" <michael.vanhorn@wright.edu>

> As a followup, I've determined that it is network related, but I'm still
> not sure what the problem is. I did go back to CentOS 5.2, but the problem
> still exists with that version, too.
>
> Basically, what seems to be happening is that the network freezes around
> 30 seconds, and then picks right back up. There are no errors in any logs
> that I can find, and process that are running locally and that only depend
> on local resources keep right on going and don't have a problem.
>
> I have tried using a different network card (as opposed to the one on the
> motherboard), but the problem happens with that, too. It almost has to be
> a configuration issue, or a BIOS settting, but I don't get it.

Some kind of power saving "feature" or wake on lan...?

JD

Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Jerry Franz

On 07/27/2012 07:23 AM, Vanhorn, Mike wrote:

> As a followup, I've determined that it is network related, but I'm still
> not sure what the problem is. I did go back to CentOS 5.2, but the problem
> still exists with that version, too.
>
> Basically, what seems to be happening is that the network freezes around
> 30 seconds, and then picks right back up. There are no errors in any logs
> that I can find, and process that are running locally and that only depend
> on local resources keep right on going and don't have a problem.
>
> I have tried using a different network card (as opposed to the one on the
> motherboard), but the problem happens with that, too. It almost has to be
> a configuration issue, or a BIOS settting, but I don't get it.

That sounds like a timeout of some kind. Do you have many (thousands per
minute) of transient network connections in normal operation? If so, you
might be running into the open file limits if you haven't bumped up the
limits.

Look at /etc/security/limits.conf and try adding

* - nofile 64000

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Lars Hecking

It's not necessarily network hw or sw that's at fault. I once had a similar
problem caused by the (3rd party) driver of the onboard "RAID" controller.
Newer driver version fixed it.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:32 PM

Vanhorn, Mike wrote:

> It turned out to be something very simple, but which wasn't obvious to
> check to begin with. There was another computer (a Windows machine) that
> was supposed to have been taken out of service a long time ago, but
> someone has recently put it back on the network. Because it was supposed
> to have been no longer used, it's IP address was re-allocated (a year and
> a half ago!) to the machine that I have been agonizing over all week.
>
> On someone's suggestion, I decided to put the problem PC on a different
> subnet, because we thought it might be something amiss with the new
> networking hardware that was installed a month or so ago, and suddenly the
> problem went away. Some more investigation, and we discovered that the IP
> address was still being used, and, thus, stumbled across the actual
> problem.
>
> Thank you to all who responded!

Glad you got it. I've been *really* busy all morning - shutdown of chilled
water at 0-dark-30 meant shutting all the servers down yesterday, then
bringing them up once the chiller water came on - but when I saw that
you'd found it was a network issue, I was literally about to respond that
it might not be your system's problem, but something on the network, when
I saw your subject of SOLVED.

Congrats.
<snip>
mark

Old 07-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012, Vanhorn, Mike wrote:

> From: "Vanhorn, Mike" <michael.vanhorn@wright.edu>
> Subject: [CentOS] [SOLVED] Re: problem with machine "freezing" for short
> periods
>

> It turned out to be something very simple, but which wasn't obvious to
> check to begin with. There was another computer (a Windows machine) that
> was supposed to have been taken out of service a long time ago, but
> someone has recently put it back on the network. Because it was supposed
> to have been no longer used, it's IP address was re-allocated (a year and
> a half ago!) to the machine that I have been agonizing over all week.
>
> On someone's suggestion, I decided to put the problem PC on a different
> subnet, because we thought it might be something amiss with the new
> networking hardware that was installed a month or so ago, and suddenly the
> problem went away. Some more investigation, and we discovered that the IP
> address was still being used, and, thus, stumbled across the actual
> problem.
>
> Thank you to all who responded!
>
> It's always the simplest things, in the last place you look...

Hi Mike.

I'm pleased you got this figured out now OK.

As you mentioned earlier it could be a network problem, I
was going to suggest using Wireshark, which *could* have
identified this problem for you pretty quick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark
Wireshark is a free and open-source packet analyzer. It is
used for network troubleshooting, analysis, software and
communications protocol development, and education.
Originally named Ethereal, in May 2006 the project was
renamed Wireshark due to trademark issues.

Name : wireshark
Arch : i386
Version : 1.0.15
Release : 1.el5_6.4
Size : 40 M
Repo : installed (in updates repo)
License : GPL

Name : wireshark-gnome
Arch : i386
Version : 1.0.15
Release : 1.el5_6.4
Size : 1.6 M
Repo : installed
: integration file

Maybe you could recreate this problem (2 machines using the
same IP address on the same network ) and then start
Wireshark GUI, and see if it spots this and complains with a
very informative error message?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: