Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Les Mikesell

Default su path hard coded?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 02:14:45PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Can't you use the usual approach of 'su -' to pick up the target
>> user's login environment?
>
> It's "su -" that causes the 'su' comman to rewrite the PATH to the
> hardcoded default.

But it should be executing the target user's .profile which can
override it. '-' should be a synonym for -l or --login.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Stephen Harris

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 02:33:17PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 02:14:45PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> Can't you use the usual approach of 'su -' to pick up the target
> >> user's login environment?
> >
> > It's "su -" that causes the 'su' comman to rewrite the PATH to the
> > hardcoded default.
> >

> But it should be executing the target user's .profile which can
> override it. '-' should be a synonym for -l or --login.

You've missed the point. I want the ability to set the default path on
'su -' to be /bin:/usr/bin and then let the users override if they wish.
I do not want the default path to be /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> wrote:

>> But it should be executing the target user's .profile which can
>> override it. '-' should be a synonym for -l or --login.
>
> You've missed the point. I want the ability to set the default path on
> 'su -' to be /bin:/usr/bin and then let the users override if they wish.
> I do not want the default path to be /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

Yes, I guess I just wouldn't put things in /usr/local/bin if I didn't
want them to be run, so i wouldn't have thought of that...
Rebuilding from the src rpm sounds reasonable in that case.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Stephen Harris

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 02:52:28PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> wrote:
> > You've missed the point. I want the ability to set the default path on
> > 'su -' to be /bin:/usr/bin and then let the users override if they wish.
> > I do not want the default path to be /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

> Yes, I guess I just wouldn't put things in /usr/local/bin if I didn't

Idiots in other teams breaking things :-(

> want them to be run, so i wouldn't have thought of that...
> Rebuilding from the src rpm sounds reasonable in that case.

That's never a reasonable solution for an enterprise distro; what happens
at the next "yum update"? :-)

If the answer is "it's hard coded; nothing you can do" then I guess
I'll have to live with it. I'm hoping, though, that there's a better
solution :-)

--

rgds
Stephen