Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Ned Slider

Default Fwd: kmod-nvidia?

On 23/07/12 15:48, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> And for the guy from the elrepo team, you'll note it was *not* an elrepo
> problem, which is what I'd suspected, unless the repodata file's changed
> since Friday.

It was a problem caused by *you* editing the default elrepo config file
and not understanding the implications and subsequent problems caused by
*your* changes. So you are correct that it was not an elrepo problem, it
was a "user" issue.

No one ever said it was an elrepo problem, it was noted that the elrepo
mailing list was a more appropriate place to deal with issues relating
to the elrepo.repo config file as this has absolutely nothing to do with
CentOS.

The point is that you would have been given the solution a lot quicker
if you had just posted the whole config file when you were asked rather
than waste everyone's time with your attitude.

Honestly, most people on this list are here to try to help you. It makes
it a *lot* easier to help people if they follow the instructions they
are given rather than try to second guess which information they should
provide.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM

Ned Slider wrote:
> On 23/07/12 15:48, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>> And for the guy from the elrepo team, you'll note it was *not* an elrepo
>> problem, which is what I'd suspected, unless the repodata file's changed
>> since Friday.
>
> It was a problem caused by *you* editing the default elrepo config file
> and not understanding the implications and subsequent problems caused by
> *your* changes. So you are correct that it was not an elrepo problem, it
> was a "user" issue.

And you clearly don't like the idea that I might edit the elrepo.repo
because I might only want to allow *one* package, even though everyone
knows that some other elrepo packages result in conflicts with the base
CentOS repositories.

> No one ever said it was an elrepo problem, it was noted that the elrepo
> mailing list was a more appropriate place to deal with issues relating
> to the elrepo.repo config file as this has absolutely nothing to do with
> CentOS.
>
> The point is that you would have been given the solution a lot quicker
> if you had just posted the whole config file when you were asked rather
> than waste everyone's time with your attitude.

You didn't care to pay attention to what I *DID* post. The rest of it was
identical to, in fact, what I posted twice. I did not feel I needed to
clutter up the mailing list the way some folks do, with many dozens or
hundreds of lines of error messages or config files, when I certainly know
enough to pull out the relevant information.
<snip>
And the guy who *did* read what I posted did help me.

mark "this thread declared dead"

Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> everyone
> knows that some other elrepo packages result in conflicts with the base
> CentOS repositories.

Just to clarify -- From the ELRepo web site ( http://elrepo.org ):

elrepo
This is the main channel and is enabled by default. As this channel
should not contain packages also present in the distribution, it
should be safe to run a 'yum update' with this repository channel
enabled.

elrepo-extras
The elrepo-extras channel provides packages and their dependencies
that replace/update RHEL distribution packages. It may be enabled in
the /etc/yum.repos.d/elrepo.repo file or used with 'yum
--enablerepo=elrepo-extras'.

In other words, the packages in the elrepo-extras repo may conflict
with the distro packages but this repo is shipped disabled by default.
Using elrepo is therefore safe unless you make modifications of course

Akemi

Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Stephen Harris

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:15:49PM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> You didn't care to pay attention to what I *DID* post. The rest of it was

I think you need to calm down. You came here for help; the onus is _not_
on the readers to delve into dozens of messages to see what you may
or may not have written to someone else.

You may even have to post the same content a dozen times.

That's life on a mailing list.

Getting pissed off about it is a great way to get people to stop wanting
to help you.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 PM

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> everyone knows that some other elrepo packages result in conflicts
>> with the base CentOS repositories.
>
> Just to clarify -- From the ELRepo web site ( http://elrepo.org ):
>
> elrepo
> This is the main channel and is enabled by default. As this channel
> should not contain packages also present in the distribution, it
> should be safe to run a 'yum update' with this repository channel
> enabled.
>
> elrepo-extras
> The elrepo-extras channel provides packages and their dependencies
> that replace/update RHEL distribution packages. It may be enabled in
> the /etc/yum.repos.d/elrepo.repo file or used with 'yum
> --enablerepo=elrepo-extras'.
>
> In other words, the packages in the elrepo-extras repo may conflict
> with the distro packages but this repo is shipped disabled by default.
> Using elrepo is therefore safe unless you make modifications of course

Except that we don't want to replace or update the main repository
packages, except in very, very special cases. That was why I allowed only
kmod-nvidia in the repo. We do worry, since we've got 150 or so servers
and workstations that I mostly do the updates on, and they shouldn't be
some have, and some don't, except for an arguably special reason to be
different than others. kmod-nvidia is the only one we have that meets that
criteria.

mark

Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Ned Slider

On 23/07/12 17:48, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM,<m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>>> everyone knows that some other elrepo packages result in conflicts
>>> with the base CentOS repositories.
>>
>> Just to clarify -- From the ELRepo web site ( http://elrepo.org ):
>>
>> elrepo
>> This is the main channel and is enabled by default. As this channel
>> should not contain packages also present in the distribution, it
>> should be safe to run a 'yum update' with this repository channel
>> enabled.
>>

> Except that we don't want to replace or update the main repository
> packages, except in very, very special cases. That was why I allowed only
> kmod-nvidia in the repo. We do worry, since we've got 150 or so servers
> and workstations that I mostly do the updates on, and they shouldn't be
> some have, and some don't, except for an arguably special reason to be
> different than others. kmod-nvidia is the only one we have that meets that
> criteria.

Please stop spreading nonsense and read Akemi's reply above.

There is NOTHING in elrepo that conflicts with or replaces anything in
the base distro. That is a matter of POLICY as quoted by Akemi above.

If you believe there is a conflict between ANY package in the main
elrepo repository and the base distro, tell us and we will fix it
immediately.

We can't be any more clear than that.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> Using elrepo is therefore safe unless you make modifications of course
>
> Except that we don't want to replace or update the main repository
> packages, except in very, very special cases. That was why I allowed only
> kmod-nvidia in the repo. We do worry, since we've got 150 or so servers
> and workstations that I mostly do the updates on, and they shouldn't be
> some have, and some don't, except for an arguably special reason to be
> different than others. kmod-nvidia is the only one we have that meets that
> criteria.

Why would yum ever pull anything from a repostory that doesn't replace
base packages unless it is something that you explicitly installed?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-23-2012, 05:57 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:

>> Except that we don't want to replace or update the main repository
>> packages, except in very, very special cases. That was why I allowed
>> only kmod-nvidia in the repo. We do worry, since we've got 150 or so
servers
>> and workstations that I mostly do the updates on, and they shouldn't be
>> some have, and some don't, except for an arguably special reason to be
>> different than others. kmod-nvidia is the only one we have that meets
>> that criteria.
>
> Why would yum ever pull anything from a repostory that doesn't replace
> base packages unless it is something that you explicitly installed?

I wouldn't. But I did want to explicitly say what I was allowing it to
get, so that it wouldn't accidentally get something I didn't want.

mark