-   -   'localyum' alias... (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/686392-localyum-alias.html)

Fernando Cassia 07-23-2012 03:45 AM

'localyum' alias...

This alias should be a great default addition to the bashrc... as it
helps install packages to a CentOS system from the mounted install CD
before you get networking up and running...

alias localyum='yum --disablerepo=* localinstall'

Does Red Hat care about Requests for Enhancement? or is filing a bug pointless?

FC

Fabien Archambault 07-23-2012 06:00 AM

'localyum' alias...

2012/7/23 Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com>:
> This alias should be a great default addition to the bashrc... as it
> helps install packages to a CentOS system from the mounted install CD
> before you get networking up and running...
>
> alias localyum='yum --disablerepo=* localinstall'
>
> Does Red Hat care about Requests for Enhancement? or is filing a bug pointless?
>
> FC

Since the latest version of yum obsolete (in Fedora at least so I
believe in CentOS it is/will be the same) the localinstall option, I
believe that using this alias is useless.

Fabien

Fernando Cassia 07-23-2012 06:18 AM

'localyum' alias...

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Fabien Archambault
<fabien.archambault@univ-amu.fr> wrote:
> Since the latest version of yum obsolete the localinstall option, I
> believe that using this alias is useless.

I have used yum's localinstall option on my CenOS 6.3 box... and it worked...

FC

Fabien Archambault 07-23-2012 06:31 AM

'localyum' alias...

2012/7/23 Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Fabien Archambault
> <fabien.archambault@univ-amu.fr> wrote:
>> Since the latest version of yum obsolete the localinstall option, I
>> believe that using this alias is useless.
>
> I have used yum's localinstall option on my CenOS 6.3 box... and it worked...

This option is kept for legacy purpose [1] (or man yum). It works yet
but will be removed in the future releases (years ago) I believe.

[1] http://linux.die.net/man/8/yum

Fernando Cassia 07-23-2012 08:11 AM

'localyum' alias...

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Fabien Archambault
<fabien.archambault@univ-amu.fr> wrote:

> This option is kept for legacy purpose [1] (or man yum). It works yet
> but will be removed in the future releases (years ago) I believe.

Thanks. I wasn´t aware of this. Luckily if I read this correctly, the
ability to install packages from a local source won´tbe hampered, it
just won´t need the ´localinstall´ option...

FC

Fernando Cassia 07-23-2012 08:15 AM

'localyum' alias...

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Fabien Archambault
<fabien.archambault@univ-amu.fr> wrote:
> believe that using this alias is useless.

But the removal of localinstall doesn´t mean an easy to remember alias
wouldn´t be of use, it´d just mean that the syntax would change to
alias localyum='yum --disablerepo=* ´

ie
localyum install /media/CentOS6/Packages/whatever.rpm

:)
FC