Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Fernando Cassia

Default Extracting the window (titlebar) name from a bash script?

Surely there' s a way to obtain the "window name" -which appears on
the Window Manager' s Titlebar- for running processes, right?.
Well, I can't find it...

I mean, the names that appear below each icon when you alt-tab to
switch an app to the foreground.
Is there a simple way to obtain that data along with matching PIDs,
from a Bash script? any built-in tools that provide such?

TIA
FC
- George Orwell

Old 07-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Ron Yorston

Fernando Cassia wrote:
>Surely there' s a way to obtain the "window name" -which appears on
>the Window Manager' s Titlebar- for running processes, right?.
>Well, I can't find it...

wmctrl with the '-l -p' flags provides a list of windows with names and
PIDs. It's in EPEL for CentOS 6, though not 5. It probably wouldn't be
too hard to build for CentOS 5 if you needed it there.

Ron