Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Default kmod-nvidia?

I just went to install kmod-nvidia on a 64-bit CentOS 6.2 system... and
enabling elrepo, yum can't find it. There's a page for it, but that was
last updated last year, and there are also references to packages for
older Nvidia cards, but not the current.

What do I not know?

mark

Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Andreas Rogge

Am 20.07.2012 16:44, schrieb m.roth@5-cent.us:
> I just went to install kmod-nvidia on a 64-bit CentOS 6.2 system... and
> enabling elrepo, yum can't find it. There's a page for it, but that was
> last updated last year, and there are also references to packages for
> older Nvidia cards, but not the current.
>
> What do I not know?

You seem to have missed the fact that Nvidia sucks

At least on our elrepo mirror site there are recent kmod-nvidia
packages. The Package kmod-nvidia-295.59-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm is just
a few days old.
Maybe your yum configuration went bad?

Regards,
Andreas

--
Solvention Ltd. & Co. KG
St.-Sebastianus-Str. 5

Tel: +49 2203 989967-0
Fax: +49 2203 989967-9

http://www.solvention.de
mailto:info@solvention.de

Old 07-20-2012, 03:06 PM

Andreas Rogge wrote:
> Am 20.07.2012 16:44, schrieb m.roth@5-cent.us:
>> I just went to install kmod-nvidia on a 64-bit CentOS 6.2 system... and
>> enabling elrepo, yum can't find it. There's a page for it, but that was
>> last updated last year, and there are also references to packages for
>> older Nvidia cards, but not the current.
>>
>> What do I not know?
>>
> You seem to have missed the fact that Nvidia sucks

I have no control over Nvidia. It's a very popular maker of cards. Oh, and
the AMD/ATI is even more of a pain to get and install drivers....

> At least on our elrepo mirror site there are recent kmod-nvidia
> packages. The Package kmod-nvidia-295.59-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm is just
> a few days old.
> Maybe your yum configuration went bad?

Dunno why it would.
[elrepo]
name=ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository - el6
baseurl=http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el6/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://elrepo.org/mirrors-elrepo.el6

And the same for testing, kernel, and extras. Did they change the
repository names?

mark

Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 PM

Andreas Rogge wrote:
> Am 20.07.2012 16:44, schrieb m.roth@5-cent.us:
>> I just went to install kmod-nvidia on a 64-bit CentOS 6.2 system... and
>> enabling elrepo, yum can't find it. There's a page for it, but that was
>> last updated last year, and there are also references to packages for
>> older Nvidia cards, but not the current.
<snip>
> At least on our elrepo mirror site there are recent kmod-nvidia
> packages. The Package kmod-nvidia-295.59-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm is just
> a few days old.
> Maybe your yum configuration went bad?

Ok, build the driver using the proprietary package, and he's back up.

Well, *after* I ran nvidia-xconfig, since there was no xorg.conf, and
nothing in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, which created /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Now that he's up, which was my highest priority, I'm back to looking
around. I did a yum clean all, then yum --enablerepo=elrepo list
*nvidia*, and see
* elrepo: mirror.symnds.com
so this was what the mirrorlist came up with. That there's something
screwy there.

So I just pointed my browser there, and found elrepo there under
distributions/elrepo. Anyone got any ideas why it finds that it's there,
but yum doesn't see the actual repo (and yes, the kmod-nvidia packages are
there)?

mark

Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Jay Leafey

On 07/20/2012 10:32 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

Now that he's up, which was my highest priority, I'm back to looking
around. I did a yum clean all, then yum --enablerepo=elrepo list
*nvidia*, and see
* elrepo: mirror.symnds.com
so this was what the mirrorlist came up with. That there's something
screwy there.

So I just pointed my browser there, and found elrepo there under
distributions/elrepo. Anyone got any ideas why it finds that it's there,
but yum doesn't see the actual repo (and yes, the kmod-nvidia packages are
there)?

mark

Here's what the same operation looks like on my box:

[jleafey@megamind ~]$ sudo yum list *nvidia*
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities, refresh-packagekit,
: security
* base: dallas.tx.mirror.xygenhosting.com
* elrepo: elrepo.org
* epel: mirror.steadfast.net
* extras: mirror.raystedman.net
* nux-libreoffice.org-rpms: mirror.li.nux.ro
* rpmforge: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
* updates: mirror.raystedman.net
1314 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Installed Packages
kmod-nvidia.x86_64 295.59-1.el6.elrepo @elrepo
nvidia-x11-drv.x86_64 295.59-1.el6.elrepo @elrepo
Available Packages
kmod-nvidia-173xx.x86_64 173.14.31-1.el6.elrepo elrepo
kmod-nvidia-96xx.x86_64 96.43.20-1.el6.elrepo elrepo
nvidia-x11-drv-173xx.x86_64 173.14.31-1.el6.elrepo elrepo
nvidia-x11-drv-173xx-32bit.x86_64 173.14.31-1.el6.elrepo elrepo
nvidia-x11-drv-32bit.x86_64 295.59-1.el6.elrepo elrepo
nvidia-x11-drv-96xx.x86_64 96.43.20-1.el6.elrepo elrepo
nvidia-x11-drv-96xx-32bit.x86_64 96.43.20-1.el6.elrepo elrepo
[jleafey@megamind ~]$

Just a thought, have you tried flushing yum's metadata? I have run
across a couple of instances where yum seems to get a bit... retentive
and won't retrieve new metadata for one or more repositories. I usually
run "yum clean metadata" or "yum clean all", then re-try the operation.
Unless it is something *I* have boogered badly it usually works.

Of course, YMMV!
--
Jay Leafey - jay.leafey@mindless.com
Memphis, TN

Old 07-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Jay Leafey wrote:
> On 07/20/2012 10:32 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Now that he's up, which was my highest priority, I'm back to looking
>> around. I did a yum clean all, then yum --enablerepo=elrepo list
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> *nvidia*, and see
>> * elrepo: mirror.symnds.com
>> so this was what the mirrorlist came up with. That there's something
>> screwy there.
>>
>> So I just pointed my browser there, and found elrepo there under
>> distributions/elrepo. Anyone got any ideas why it finds that it's there,
>> but yum doesn't see the actual repo (and yes, the kmod-nvidia packages
>> are there)?

<snip>
> Just a thought, have you tried flushing yum's metadata? I have run
> across a couple of instances where yum seems to get a bit... retentive
> and won't retrieve new metadata for one or more repositories. I usually
> run "yum clean metadata" or "yum clean all", then re-try the operation.
> Unless it is something *I* have boogered badly it usually works.

See emphasized line, above, from previous email. ^^^^^^^^

mark

Old 07-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Ned Slider

On 20/07/12 16:55, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Jay Leafey wrote:
>> On 07/20/2012 10:32 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Now that he's up, which was my highest priority, I'm back to looking
>>> around. I did a yum clean all, then yum --enablerepo=elrepo list
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

>>> *nvidia*, and see
>>> * elrepo: mirror.symnds.com
>>> so this was what the mirrorlist came up with. That there's something
>>> screwy there.
>>>
>>> So I just pointed my browser there, and found elrepo there under
>>> distributions/elrepo. Anyone got any ideas why it finds that it's there,
>>> but yum doesn't see the actual repo (and yes, the kmod-nvidia packages
>>> are there)?
>>
> <snip>
>> Just a thought, have you tried flushing yum's metadata? I have run
>> across a couple of instances where yum seems to get a bit... retentive
>> and won't retrieve new metadata for one or more repositories. I usually
>> run "yum clean metadata" or "yum clean all", then re-try the operation.
>> Unless it is something *I* have boogered badly it usually works.
>>
> See emphasized line, above, from previous email. ^^^^^^^^
>
> mark

Please post the output from:

cat /etc/yum.repos.d/elrepo.repo

and

yum list *kmod-nvidia*

thanks.

PS - This query would really be better placed on the elrepo users
mailing lists rather than the general CentOS mailing lists.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:34 PM

Ned Slider wrote:
> On 20/07/12 16:55, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Jay Leafey wrote:
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> <snip>
>>> Just a thought, have you tried flushing yum's metadata? I have run
>>> across a couple of instances where yum seems to get a bit... retentive
>>> and won't retrieve new metadata for one or more repositories. I
>>> usually
>>> run "yum clean metadata" or "yum clean all", then re-try the operation.
>>> Unless it is something *I* have boogered badly it usually works.
>>>
>> See emphasized line, above, from previous email. ^^^^^^^^
>

> Please post the output from:
>
> cat /etc/yum.repos.d/elrepo.repo
>
> and
>
> yum list *kmod-nvidia*
>
> thanks.

Y'know, I appreciate any and all help, but I'm beginning to feel those
trying to help haven't actually *read* my previous posts. Jay suggested I
do a yum clean all, when I already said I'd done that; Ned's asking for
what the repo looks like, when I posted the top bit and said the rest of
the entries were the same....

Repeating my original post:
### Name: ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository for el6

[elrepo]
name=ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository - el6
baseurl=http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el6/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://elrepo.org/mirrors-elrepo.el6
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org
protect=0
includepkgs=kmod-nvidia

and the entries for elrepo-testing, elrepo-kernel, and elrepo-extras are
the same.

> PS - This query would really be better placed on the elrepo users
> mailing lists rather than the general CentOS mailing lists.

But the real question not about elrepo, which clearly *has* kmod-nvidia,
but why yum can't find the repo, and that is on target for this list.

mark

Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 PM

Old 07-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Ned Slider

On 20/07/12 20:34, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote:
>>
>> Please post the output from:
>>
>> cat /etc/yum.repos.d/elrepo.repo
>>
>> and
>>
>> yum list *kmod-nvidia*
>>
>> thanks.
>
> Y'know, I appreciate any and all help, but I'm beginning to feel those
> trying to help haven't actually *read* my previous posts. Jay suggested I
> do a yum clean all, when I already said I'd done that; Ned's asking for
> what the repo looks like, when I posted the top bit and said the rest of
> the entries were the same....

Your attitude doesn't make it easy for folks to help you. So far you
haven't actually provided any information that might be useful in
determining the issue.

> Repeating my original post:
> ### Name: ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository for el6
>
> [elrepo]
> name=ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository - el6
> baseurl=http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el6/$basearch/
> mirrorlist=http://elrepo.org/mirrors-elrepo.el6
> enabled=0
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org
> protect=0
> includepkgs=kmod-nvidia

and here we see you have made modifications to the config file. I know,
because I wrote the config file.

> and the entries for elrepo-testing, elrepo-kernel, and elrepo-extras are
> the same.

and perhaps it would have been better to simply provide what was asked
for rather than making yet more assumptions.

>> PS - This query would really be better placed on the elrepo users
>> mailing lists rather than the general CentOS mailing lists.
>
> But the real question not about elrepo, which clearly *has* kmod-nvidia,
> but why yum can't find the repo, and that is on target for this list.

The real question is why the elrepo repository is not working as
intended for you. TBH I'm past caring as I have better things to do than
have you waste my time when I try to help. Please don't bother
subscribing to elrepo mailing lists.

Thanks.