Old 07-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Chris

Default Oracle tries to capture CentOS users

Hello CentOS Guys :-)

Oracle has created a new Website to capture CentOS Users

http://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/

--
Chris

Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Chris <xchris89x@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Oracle has created a new Website to capture CentOS Users
>
> http://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/

http://news.techworld.com/operating-systems/106971/novell-looks-to-lure-red-hat-users/

---
Novell has launched a migration service in an attempt ook aim at rival
and Linux market leader Red Hat with a migration service designed to
help move Linux users onto Novell's SuSE enterprise servers.

The SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) Subscription with Expanded
Support program is a three-year contract that covers support for Red
Hat or CentOS, a Red Hat clone, during the first two years of the
deal.

During that time, Novell will provide Red Hat and CentOS server users
with binaries released by Red Hat for its platform and technical
support. The subscriptions, which include two years of transition
support and three years SLES support, are similar to the three-year
priority contracts Novell offers on its own servers.
----

So, busines as usual... move along... nothing to see here...

FC

- George Orwell

Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 PM

Chris wrote:
> Hello CentOS Guys :-)
>
> Oracle has created a new Website to capture CentOS Users
>
> http://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/

Yup. No, don't switch from CentOS to RHEL, switch to *us*, and pay even
more for very, very, very lousy support.*

And I *love* the chart... never mind that RH changed the build structure
to give Oracle pain, and it hurt us, Never mind that the difference
between Oracle and CentOS, once that was fixed, dropped like a rock, due
to our team (that is, Johnny, and Karanbir, and all the rest), to where
it's even....

No, you should pay us, says Larry, I need to keep my yacht and fighter jet
taken care of....

mark

* Long rant of personally-experienced month of Sun/Oracle "support"
available upon request.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 20 July 2012 15:19, Chris <xchris89x@googlemail.com> wrote:
> http://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/
I found the "update delay" graph laughable. They're comparing
themselves to a bunch of volunteers and then say "we beat people work
for free and for the love of it".... Right... IMHO, I'd rather go for
RHEL if I'm paying. (Unfortunately I don't make that decision,
customers do, disclaimer, $dayjob has OEL customers too).

Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> No, you should pay us, says Larry, I need to keep my yacht and fighter jet
> taken care of....

Once again, the problem seems to be hatred of Ellison more than anything else.

Red Hat and CentOS based on it are #1, itīs only natural that smaller
players want a piece of the pie.

This is different from Novell trying to lure RHEL users exactly how?
http://news.techworld.com/operating-systems/106971/novell-looks-to-lure-red-hat-users/

What Oracle is saying is "if you want free, you can use ours instead
of CentOS and get a more recent kernel"

centos 6.3 -2.6.32-279.1.1.el6
uek
http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL6/latest/i386/kernel-uek-2.6.32-300.29.2.el6uek.i686.rpm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_Linux#RHEL_compatibility
---
Oracle distributes Oracle Linux with two kernels:

Red Hat Compatible Kernel - identical to the kernel shipped in Red
Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel - based on a later Linux 2.6-series
kernel, with Oracle's own enhancements for OLTP, InfiniBand, and SSD
disk access, NUMA-optimizations, Reliable Datagram Sockets (RDS),
async I/O, OCFS2, and networking.[8][9]
---

https://oss.oracle.com/ol6/docs/RELEASE-NOTES-UEK2-en.html

---
New Btrfs features/functionality

An updated version of btrfsfsck, a tool to check and repair a
Btrfs file system, is now included in the btrfs-progs package. This
new btrfsck now supports a --repair option that allows fixing errors
in the extent allocation tree and block group accounting. btrfsck also
provides the option --init-csum-tree which replaces the check-sum root
with an empty one. This will clear out the CRCs but allows the
file-system to be mounted with the mount option nodatasum.

Automatic defragmentation: Brtfs now provides an online
defragmentation facility that reorganizes data into contiguous chunks
wherever possible to create larger sections of available disk space
and improve read and write performance.

(snip)

Xen domU improvements

Several bug fixes and improvements have been incorporated to make the
Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel scale and cooperate better as a guest
(domU) in Oracle VM and Xen.

Xen block backend from Linux 3.3 kernel. This provides the fully
featured Xen blkback along with extra features, such as passing
through a flush (a lighter version of barrier), discard (also known as
TRIM or SCSI UNMAP) and various bug-fixes and enhancments.
Xen PCI backend from Linux 3.3 kernel, this includes the option to
specify how the PCI structure shows up in the PV guest - either as in
host or virtualized; Fixes to make it work with SR-IOV VF cards; and
numerous mutex fixes.
Memory self-ballooning - allows the guest to automatically balloon
depending on the workload.
Transcendent memory support for HVM and PV guests
Tracing API support for Xen MMU operations.
Syncing the wall-clock time from the initial domain
Numerous code cleanups and bug fixes (e.g. in the following areas:
memory balloning, blkfront, P2M, E820, IRQ, MMU, Gntalloc driver)

Other improvements

dm-nfs: device-mapper target that allows you to treat an NFS file
as a block device. It provides loopback-style emulation of a block
device using a regular file as backing storage. The backing file
resides on a remote system and is accessed via the NFS protocol.

Driver Updates

The Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel supports a vast range of hardware
and devices. In close cooperation with hardware and storage vendors,
several device drivers have been updated by Oracle. The list below
only indicates the updated drivers that deviate from the versions
included in mainline Linux 3.0.16.
Storage drivers

Broadcom bnx2i 2.7.0.3
Broadcom bnx2fc 1.0.4
Brocade bfa 3.0.2.2
Emulex be2iscsi 4.1.239.0
Emulex lpfc 8.3.5.58.2p
LSI mpt2sas 12.100.00.00
LSI megaraid_sas 5.40-rc1
QLogic qla2xxx 8.03.07.12.39.0-k
QLogic qla4xxx 5.02.00.00.06.02-uek2

Network drivers

Broadcom bnx2 2.1.11
Broadcom bnx2x 1.70.00-0
Broadcom cnic 2.5.7
Brocade bna 3.0.2.2
Cisco enic 2.1.1.24
Emulex be2net 4.1.297o
Intel e1000e 1.4.4-k
Intel ixgbevf 2.1.0-k
Intel igbvf 2.0.0-k
Intel ixgbe 3.4.8-k
Mellanox mlx4_en 1.5.4.2
QLogic netxen_nic 4.0.77
QLogic qlcnic 5.0.25.1

---
Sounds like value-added to me, for those that need that functionality.

For those that do not, CentOS is just fine.

The OP got the negative reactions he came seeking, I bet...
So can we please move along?. This bickering and gnashing of teeth
does nobody any good.

FC

Old 07-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> No, you should pay us, says Larry, I need to keep my yacht and fighter
>> jet taken care of....
>
> Once again, the problem seems to be hatred of Ellison more than anything
> else.

Have you seen any of my other posts, where I describe Sun/Oracle's utterly
abysmal and unacceptable support? Perhaps you might, and then you might
understand why I, personally, dislike Oracle. They've also always been the
high-priced spread. I've never been involved with the contracts, so I
simply don't know: perhaps someone here can tell us the difference between
the costs of the 3? 4? SLA contracts from RH and Oracle? I'll wager
Oracle's is comparable or higher.

> Red Hat and CentOS based on it are #1, itīs only natural that smaller
> players want a piece of the pie.

In the US: at least five years ago, SuSE was the bigger share in Europe.

> This is different from Novell trying to lure RHEL users exactly how?
> http://news.techworld.com/operating-systems/106971/novell-looks-to-lure-red-hat-users/

RH, not free distros.
<snip>

Just one last question: if you think this highly of OUL, why are you here?
Why haven't you gone to their lists?

mark "not imputing someone being a marketing troll"

Old 07-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, July 20, 2012 10:19:05 AM Chris wrote:
> Hello CentOS Guys :-)
>
> Oracle has created a new Website to capture CentOS Users
>
> http://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/

They also mention Scientific Linux in their 'Q&A.'

Old 07-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:48 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Just one last question: if you think this highly of OUL, why are you here?
> Why haven't you gone to their lists?

I have two AMD Opteron servers, a self-built one with Asus mobo, and a
Sun w1100z (ages old, single core Opteron).
I plan to run Oracle's on the latter, while keeping CentOS on the Asus one.

Came here asking about OpenJDK 7 support in CentOS 6.3, as I plan to
run a Java based app server on it.
Since I haven't installed Oracle's yet on the Sun box, no need still
to ask any questions (I don't even know if there are mailing lists for
Oracle's or web based forums).

I want to run both, and don't see the point of having any grudges
against any particular distro. But hey, that's me.

FC

Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 PM
John Hinton

On 7/20/2012 11:15 AM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 20 July 2012 15:19, Chris <xchris89x@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> http://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/
> I found the "update delay" graph laughable. They're comparing
> themselves to a bunch of volunteers and then say "we beat people work
> for free and for the love of it".... Right... IMHO, I'd rather go for
> RHEL if I'm paying. (Unfortunately I don't make that decision,
> customers do, disclaimer, $dayjob has OEL customers too).

Yes, pick the one bad time for CentOS and release 6 and show that in a
graph. I find it interesting the CentOS is showing as faster than Oracle
now.

Meanwhile, if this is linux.oracle.com, shouldn't Oracle database be
included in the 'free version'? If you want something laughable. Anyway,
Oracle came with some old distro or book I picked up. It was free with
some strings as I remember, but that is likely a decade ago now. Still,
shouldn't Oracle linux include Oracle? The word Oracle being synonymous
with one thing. I might have to do an install if it did and if it was
free for any use.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502

Old 07-20-2012, 05:30 PM

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:48 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Just one last question: if you think this highly of OUL, why are you
>> here?
>> Why haven't you gone to their lists?
<snip>
> I want to run both, and don't see the point of having any grudges
> against any particular distro. But hey, that's me.

Oh, as I read this, I was thinking, and realized I *do* have something
against OUL specifically: of commercial providers of Linux, Novell's SuSE
is their own distro. RHEL is their own distro. Oracle takes RHEL and
customizes it, rather than building it from the F/OSS components, the way
SuSE and RH do, and sells it as their distro. *That's* what frosts me.

mark