Old 07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
James Pearson

Default Missing /usr/share/X11/fonts/encodings/encodings.dir on CentOS 6 ?

I'm trying to work out if this is a bug or a feature of CentOS 6 ... it
appears the file /usr/share/X11/fonts/encodings/encodings.dir is missing
on CentOS 6

The file is owned by the RPM xorg-x11-fonts-misc - but is a 'ghost' file
- that is, it is owned by the RPM but doesn't exist in the RPM

However, nothing (as far as I can tell) re-generates this file on CentOS 6

In CentOS 5, the file is a ghost file owned by the xorg-x11-fonts-base
RPM - but the RPM %post scripts generates this file (along with
/usr/share/X11/fonts/encodings/large/encodings.dir file).

There is nothing similar in the %post section of the CentOS 6
xorg-x11-fonts-misc RPM

I'm not sure if this file is missing by design - or is a bug ...

The reason I ask, is that a user has an application that is looking for
an X11 font name that does not appear in any font.scale or font.dir
files on CentOS 6 - but does on CentOS 5 - but the actual (identical)
font file exists on CentOS 6

The font.scale and font.dir files have fewer entries on CentOS 6 than
the corresponding CentOS 5 files

Stracing mkfontscale shows that it tries to open
/usr/share/X11/fonts/encodings/encodings.dir - which isn't there -
however, if I manually create this file on CentOS 6 - using the command
'mkfontscale -n -e /usr/share/X11/fonts/encodings' and then re-create
the font.scale and font.dir files for font directory in question - then
the 'missing' font name is now listed - and can be used by the application

So, I'm trying to work out if I'm missing something here - or this is a
bug/feature of CentOS 6 ?

Thanks

James Pearson